Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Launching kites...The thumbs up sign
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Freeride Kiter

Since 08 Jul 2011
698 Posts
Alaska / PNW / Baja
Instructor

PostTue Jul 22, 14 5:43 pm     Reply with quote

Love the topic - and I know you all didn't want another story, so I'll spare you the few I have from the last three days at Rufus.

If I'm launching your kite and your nodding your head, carrying a board, shouting yes or tell me "when you feel it" - I'm just going to stare at you holding on to your kite unless we worked that specific signal out ahead of time.

For me a thumbs up is the default.

Other times I won't let go is if I see something amiss with your lines or bar and if the deck isn't green (meaning the area around us including the air space is occupied).

www.freeridekiting.com

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Jul 22, 14 8:45 pm     Reply with quote

Kiterbiker;

It sounds like you and I are discussing different concepts regarding "throwing a kite".

For starters, I want to clarify that a "throw" should only be utilized when there is not enough sustainable wind to allow the kiter to smoothly raise their kite, thus creating a potential stall situation.

With that disclaimer out of the way, a throw should not be in the direction of "further up in the window", rather just the opposite.

A throw should be in the same direction the kite would naturally travel to raise the kite to 12:00. The process of throwing actually requires no throwing, rather more of a point and push process is required.

Also, as stated previously, a throw is commonly utilized with a hot launch where the holder is standing more downwind than normal (thus the kite will follow a more vertical path once it leaves the holder's hands to reach 12:00).

When you feel enough wind to put tension on the kite simply point the kite from the normal "C" direction to more of an "n" upwards direction (Same action that occurs when you turn the kite with your bar). Give the kite a little push with both hands. The tension on the kitelines will shape the kite into it's natural path.

Basic laws of physics tell us that following this simple process will only increase the chances of the kiter getting their kite into the air without stalling in light conditions.

*** Before doing this ***

1) Communicate with the kiter what you will be doing
2) Triple check the lines (especially around bridal connections and at the bar).

Some sites where a throw can be advantageous (in light wind conditions):
Roosevelt, Rufus, wunderbar, event site. Basically anywhere with a wind shadow a throw can help give a kite the extra umphhh it needs to get past the stall zone.

Arrrrghhhhhh I can always tell when I am frustrated I didn't get a session in... I start posting... I'd rather be kiting than posting Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Oqion

Since 28 Jul 2014
2 Posts

PostMon Jul 28, 14 2:52 am    About landing... Reply with quote

Just one small thing to add here.

The general "I will land you" signal is to pat your head, and to make eye contact. Not everyone does this, some people make eye contact, shake their head yes, put a hand up in the air, give a thumbs down. ... Ok, whatever works.

But once you have done this, even if you see someone else doing it as well, it is your responsibility to see the kite down.

It is possible that two people give the signal, see that the other one will take it, and then both turn away. In crowded conditions, this can be a bit dangerous, and can cause a mess on the beach, or sand bar, as putting the kite back up might not be the best action. On the sand bar the general worst case is a kite in the water off the back side,. But on a busy day when spectators have taken up residence, it could be a bit more problematic.

Thanks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: