Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Any Recommendations for New Kite Lines?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
<Wolverine>

Since 07 Jul 2013
71 Posts
PDX

PostSat Jul 19, 14 9:24 pm    Any Recommendations for New Kite Lines? Reply with quote

Had a front line snap by the the WS bridge. Happened with a big gust. Nothing looked cut. No knots. It's a 2012 Naish bar with average wear. Thanks to Bob who drove me back to the ES after I self rescued and walked the tracks to the sandbar!

Looking for suggestions for new lines. They can run quite a bit when you get manufacturer's replacement lines. Don't want to get cheap quality by trying something else.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Tks!

stuffnthings

Since 28 Aug 2013
133 Posts
Colorado
Stoked

PostSun Jul 20, 14 7:30 am     Reply with quote

Airtime in hood river has line replacement sets for $120.

Justsmile

Since 20 Jul 2009
1523 Posts
Not Portland
XTreme Poster

PostSun Jul 20, 14 9:17 am     Reply with quote

Search the forum. NAK has done a write up on it!! Airtime is too notch an always been super helpful and fast with my experience!!

rtz

Since 12 May 2013
7 Posts

Kook

PostMon Jul 21, 14 1:26 pm     Reply with quote

20 and 23m SlingShot lines for $59:

http://www.kiteboarding.com/products.asp?cat=Lines+and+Line+Accessories

<Wolverine>

Since 07 Jul 2013
71 Posts
PDX

PostTue Jul 22, 14 9:19 am    The Question of Equal Line Lengths Reply with quote

The slingshots are a great deal on that website but not interchangeable with the Naish bar from what I've been told. Looks like I'll have to go with a new Naish set at $160. Was just hoping that there might be other options out there.

The question of equal line lengths.
Does that mean out of the box held at length or when they are attached to the bar and the bar is set at full power and held at length?

Most of the guys I've talked to on the phone trying to sell me something can't explain it very well and it's not worth playing around with this part of kiting.

Johnb

Since 02 Aug 2010
494 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Jul 22, 14 3:33 pm     Reply with quote

I will throw in my 2 cents here as I have been trying to avoid paying crazy $$ for new lines. I kite a bunch and the OEM Ocean Rodeo lines I have don't seem to be holding up long. Keep in mind I have only been kites 3-4 years so don't have the experience some folk her have.

I have read the Nak thread and see you can make lines way cheaper than buying them however I don't really want to make lines. I am making depower ropes with success but that's about all I want to make.

I have bought several line sets off ebay from China suppliers, they range from $70-$85.. My theory is kites come from china so lines from china can't be to bad right? I understand this theory could bite me which is why I am using these lines when its warm to and I don't have to make a cold swim.

I have bought lines from 3 different sources and they all seem to be good quality from visible and physical inspection. They say they are prestretchered, however when I install them I do check they are even on my bar and stretch or load them with my body weight at that time.

I am kiting on a set of them now but don't have that many sessions on them to determine how long they will last. I got some 1000 lb lines from one source that are beefy.. They do affect how the kite relaunches a bit when the wind is lighter. You can see and feel there is more drag on the steering line in the water. Also when looping and turning you can see the drag on the lines.

I ordered 2 more sets of 1000 lb lines from a different supplier; 20 and 24 M. On these lines the centers are beefy like the previous set but the steering lines are thinner, but still thicker than the OEM lines. I just installed these lines and have not yet flown them, but I anticipate they will not affect relaunch as much and I should be happy with how they fly.

I also have a set of 760 lb lines coming that I paid $74, I am waiting for them to arrive. However the person I bought them from contacted shortly after I bough it now asking if there was anything special I wanted done to the loop ends, like put knots in them. I said I didn't want knots but would like the flag tag you use to loosed the larks head after the session. The guy said no problem and that would not be any extra. I was impressed the guy would contact me like he did.

By the end of the summer I should have a better idea how long these china ebay lines last and if they are a good deal or not.

JohnB

Johnb

Since 02 Aug 2010
494 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Jul 22, 14 3:38 pm    Re: The Question of Equal Line Lengths Reply with quote

[The question of equal line lengths.
Does that mean out of the box held at length or when they are attached to the bar and the bar is set at full power and held at length?

Most of the guys I've talked to on the phone trying to sell me something can't explain it very well and it's not worth playing around with this part of kiting.[/quote]

For my bars the answer to both your questions is yes. The lines laid out should be equal length and on the bar when sheeted in should be equal length. My bar has leader lines that extent from the bar end to the "Y". So all my lines are equal length or the same as the center lines from the "Y" to the kite.

I believe this is not the case for Airush.

JohnB

<Wolverine>

Since 07 Jul 2013
71 Posts
PDX

PostTue Jul 22, 14 5:08 pm    Good Stuff Reply with quote

John B,

Thanks for such great info. I've looked at the ebay items myself and, if careful, feel that I would be getting similar quality material because as you said, our kites are coming from there anyways.

I have tried to find the NAK thread and PMed him but to no such luck. Could you post it?

Thanks for the reply!

henjj

Since 09 Dec 2010
25 Posts
Spokane

PostWed Jul 23, 14 8:06 am     Reply with quote

http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-11649.html

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: