Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

meterological discussion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
698 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostThu Jul 17, 14 6:11 pm    meterological discussion Reply with quote

I would love a professional meteorologist discussion on what was going on out there with these" Diablo Winds" today. Every forecast was wrong, this normally doesn't happen in July. The only answer I can come up with is the unstable air of an approaching front was 24 hours early.

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
698 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostThu Jul 17, 14 7:43 pm     Reply with quote

I checked various surface weather maps and found that the promised front that was supposed to come through tomorrow sped up and came through today... so maybe tomorrow will be the epic day!

DownStream

Since 18 Apr 2007
381 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Jul 17, 14 8:46 pm     Reply with quote

by a lot of accounts this was an epic day. you weren't looking in the right place possibly
www.ProKiteLessons.com
info@prokitesouthpadre.com

Freeride Kiter

Since 08 Jul 2011
698 Posts
Alaska / PNW / Baja
Instructor

PostThu Jul 17, 14 9:02 pm     Reply with quote

Dawn patrol was good. Morning thru afternoon was okay Tonight was why I invested in being down here so much. IMHO.

Plus it's warm 😊 and I'm not at work avoiding the bears!

www.freeridekiting.com

hilton

Since 15 Aug 2008
787 Posts

Opinionated

PostThu Jul 17, 14 9:47 pm     Reply with quote

It was epic windsurfing at the wall today, but I didn't see any kites make it up that far.

http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=28641

How was it at Rufus?

AC

Since 04 Jul 2012
66 Posts

CGKA Member

PostThu Jul 17, 14 11:23 pm    At Rufus from 4-6PM Reply with quote

As big as I've experienced. Blown off the water on 6M Park, depowered, and 190 lbs. Epic day. Didn't need to go upwind to The Wall, off the charts at Rufus, 50MPH gusts, house size swell barreling through. Doin' the John Travolta . . . Stayin' Alive, Stayin' Alive, I didn't make Phat Tuesday last month, but this was pretty special. Plus . . . got to ride with Patrick Rebstock!

hillbillyfunk

Since 02 Jun 2009
36 Posts
Hood River

PostFri Jul 18, 14 7:21 am     Reply with quote

I kited up to da wall and it was smaller up there! Only mobile home size swell....so caught a big one back to rufus where the man shit was goin' down. Perfecto 4.5 - 6 m....so steady brah!

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostFri Jul 18, 14 7:23 am     Reply with quote

East was huge. Event Site solid through dark. The heat makes the forecasts sketchy so pack all sizes but it looks good all the way through the weekend just about everywhere.

From Temira.....

Friday: Expect 28-32 from Swell to Mosier this morning, filling in at 28-32 from Swell to Rufus by late morning with periods of 30-35 possible. Stevenson will join the mix at 24-28, and Roosevelt will come up early afternoon to 23-26. Yummy.

Saturday: starts with 17-21, strongest near Hood River, filling in from Stevenson to Arlington at gusty 22-25 as a front approaches in the afternoon. That may do a number on the wind from Swell to Doug’s, but you’ll still find decent wind at other beaches.

Sunday: sees some weather system action, giving us 15-18 early and 26-30 in the afternoon, location TBD, but most likely Lyle-Arlington.

hilton

Since 15 Aug 2008
787 Posts

Opinionated

PostFri Jul 18, 14 7:51 am     Reply with quote

hillbillyfunk wrote:
I kited up to da wall and it was smaller up there! Only mobile home size swell...

Yeah, when the swell is big Rufus gets the really wide "party swell" with room for 3-4 people. The narrowness of the river at the wall can make for taller but "skinny" swell with room for only 1 or 2.

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
698 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostFri Jul 18, 14 5:24 pm     Reply with quote

Yesterday and today were a rodeo in the corridor, up down and all around. 8-44 mph at swell!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: