Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Blowout Practice Run

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Gator

Since 15 Sep 2012
41 Posts
Portland

PostWed Jul 16, 14 2:04 pm    Blowout Practice Run Reply with quote

Anyone else interested in a practice run before the blowout? I'd like to follow previous advice and give it at least one practice run. Would be great if some other first timers and even better if some experienced riders wanted to join!

Sabo

Since 13 May 2013
51 Posts
Hood River

PostThu Jul 17, 14 7:17 am     Reply with quote

Oh you better believe that Corey will be out there at some point! I would totally be down if I wasn't such a baby - I only have one of those races in me a year! I'm sure there are some people who will be interested though - I'll tell you the important part is near Wind Mountain.....

Office: (252) 489-2959 x0248
Mobile: (720) 480-7933
www.bestkiteboarding.com

D-Krep It Kiter

Since 18 Jul 2011
417 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Jul 17, 14 9:17 am     Reply with quote

Sabo wrote:
I'll tell you the important part is near Wind Mountain.....

True! Tracy, John & myself did the downwinder from Stevenson to Hood River a little while back. Tracy & I were on 7m's, John his 10m, well powered from the launch, all the way down to Wind Mountain. Then there was this huge dead spot, and we all ended up with our kites down in the water just waiting for a mercy gust. Tracy ended up pulling out on the Oregon side, John and I caught a puff of wind and managed to continue, but barely... wind got better east of Viento. Doing it over, I'd guess that its better to stick closer to the Washington side as you go through the Narrows, and past Dog Mountain. Every time we drive through, I see that same dead spot west of Viento.

I don't know your skill level, but for anyone considering it...

-it is fun, but its a long ride (you'll be glad its over, and you'll probably be pretty tired as you reach the best swell on the river).

-if you're using a twin-tip, you'll want to be able to ride toeside in both directions, just to give your dominant leg a rest from time to time.

-being able to downloop your kite and ride directly downwind is something that will make your chances of success much higher. When we started out of the light wind spot by Wind Mountain, we were constantly downlooping our kites for at least a good mile or so down the river.

You've got a fairly good chance of not making it, so just be mentally prepared for an early exit. Last thing: endurance is a must! If you haven't done the downwinder from Viento to Hood River, do so... if you find that easy, you'll be good to go.

If someone else who has done it has some more/better advice about getting through the narrows, I'd love to hear it. Last year, the guys doing it were on huge kites... I was kiting above Wells very powered on a 7m when they went by. I think the guy that won was on something like a 17m! Shocked

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostThu Jul 17, 14 9:31 am     Reply with quote

In 2012 my team and I were rigging at Stevenson that morning. I logically had my 9M out and was nervous of OP. The team came to me as a group: "PUT THAT AWAY, You're on a 12M!" Super fun run, I think it was 50 minutes and I was something like 26th place. The rest of my team placed in the first 8 spots. BamBam did a good Samaritan rescue sacrifice at Viento hence he wasn't in the top 5.
Downloop high speed downwind runs are a must IMHO. Directional boards preferred if you've got one. It 's possibly the one day when footstraps might not be considered "un-cool" Smile

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostThu Jul 17, 14 9:47 am     Reply with quote

Sabo wrote:
- I'll tell you the important part is near Wind Mountain.....

Sooo... what made that part of the course so important for you? You looked like you were doing pretty good when I passed by you in that part of the course last year.
Wave

www.Purestokesports.com

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostThu Jul 17, 14 11:01 am     Reply with quote

Wally Gator......you're a big rigger.....and that is the key to this race.

This Blowout thread has some great tips from Sasquatch that are very helpful to get through the lulls.

http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-30390.html&highlight=blowout

hoarhey

Since 20 Jul 2008
63 Posts
the corridor

PostFri Jul 18, 14 9:08 am     Reply with quote

The Wind Mountain narrows is always difficult. From my Stevenson to Hood downwinders I have honed the skill of the four-loop. Once you loop the kite twice one direction you transition and unwind the line for two loops and then wind it up for two loops. Transition and repeat the four-loop.
The key the narrows is to keep up your planing speed. Keep the kite in the sky. Body drag on your board if you can't successfully maintain your planing speed.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: