Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

beginner sites - can't stay upwind yet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
pauls

Since 20 Jun 2005
562 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

PostWed Jun 22, 05 8:08 am    beginner sites - can't stay upwind yet Reply with quote

Which local (portland and Gorge) sites are okay for a beginner who can't stay upwind yet? I like Jones and Sauvies but can't figure out where to go in the Gorge. Stevenson looks pretty sketchy, Sandbar - way busy and where can you downwind exit? Lyle - maybe? What's the site just east of Dougs parking on 84 like? In the past I enjoyed Rufus but lately i've read lots of posts telling beginners not to go there - is the slick a better bet? What am i missing, I know people learn in the gorge - sure we take our lessons with jetski support and stuff but then where to put in water time practising what the instructors taught?

cheers - paul

Last edited by pauls on Mon Apr 24, 06 10:24 am; edited 1 time in total

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostWed Jun 22, 05 8:38 am     Reply with quote

Sauvies/Jones/Coast are best for beginners. If you get to the sandbar early in the morning before all the crowds its good, otherwise the Gorge isn't too beginner friendly. If you have a jetski buddy who can follow you on downwinders though, that's a great way to learn.

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2571 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostWed Jun 22, 05 8:42 am     Reply with quote

I would say Sauvies (plenty of beach to get out and walk back up and sometimes an opposing current. Defintately not Stevenson. Sandbar - just stay in the shallows but if you get blown down below the marina it's a beeotch. Avoid crowded weekend days. Rufus has the current to keep you upwind and places to get out. Some coastal river channels are good but you need to catch them on an outgoing tide.

Rig for power, hips in, shoulders back, always edge hard, keep your board on your feet...and the issue will soon go away.

Good luck...

Gorge Redneck

PostFri Jun 24, 05 6:34 am    Lyle Reply with quote

This is not a good beginner spot, the wind is very gusty and last week two beginners were hurt on logs submerged in the water. Razz

lance_k

Since 04 May 2005
561 Posts
Hood River
Photographer

PostFri Jun 24, 05 9:24 pm    Re: Lyle Reply with quote

Gorge Redneck wrote:
last week two beginners were hurt on logs submerged in the water. Razz

I heard they were 8 foot rabid carp.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: