Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

First 2 weeks of Septemer in Hood River

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Erniepayne

Since 18 Oct 2011
10 Posts

PostSat Apr 12, 14 8:15 pm    First 2 weeks of Septemer in Hood River Reply with quote

HI, so I have never been to the gorge but we are planning on it this year. We can't seem to get the accommodations we want in July or August but can in early September. I've checked the wind alert stats and they show the wind dropping off dramatically in September (based on averages)...... but I am wondering what the locals and experienced say about the first half of September - what is the chance of good wind, and number of likely kite-able days in a week. Any advice is appreciated!!!! Ernie

dangler

Since 26 Feb 2006
1742 Posts
WINDY SPOTS
XTreme Poster

PostSat Apr 12, 14 8:35 pm    September winds Reply with quote

To get the full picture check the wind stats for Stevenson. It gets both the west and the east winds(more common in the fall). Stevenson is the windiest spot on the river for that reason, and you're likely to get 4 or 5 rippin east days in a two week period that time of year, and 4 or 5 good west days as well.

The water is still warm, the crowds are GONE, my favorite time of year!

p.s. Some pretty cool accom's right there at the beach in Stevenson, semi=rustic log cabin like place called the Timber's

flipper

Since 17 Oct 2011
320 Posts

Obsessed

PostSat Apr 12, 14 8:42 pm     Reply with quote

Second dangler's comments. September is my favorite month in the gorge. Get lots of good wind. If it does shutdown for a day or two, the beach is usually rocking.

Sauve

Since 19 Mar 2009
97 Posts
Hood River

PostSun Apr 13, 14 10:57 am     Reply with quote

yeah lots of East Winds at Stevenson in September. But realize that launching and riding at Stevenson on East winds is very harsh for non-gorge kiters. Not an easy launch, and the current is pushing you down wind with no easy way out downwind. The gorge is not a friendly place for kiters even if you are at the Hood River event site let alone Stevenson. But if your hardened and comfortable, doing a downwinder from Home Valley to Stevenson on East winds is the gorge at its finest!

My experience in September is 50/50 half the time September feels like more summer with less crowds. It can also get rainy for a week straight, or the wind can switch and blow East like Dangler said.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: