Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Time to say good bye to our beloved Boom Box

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostTue Apr 01, 14 1:41 pm    Time to say good bye to our beloved Boom Box Reply with quote

This upcoming weekend (April 5th and 6th) The Slider Project is going to say goodbye to our beloved Boom Box. After a season of sitting dormant in the boat basin and the amount of money it would cost to get it back up and running, we have decided to tear it down.

It took Joby, Jake, Matt, and I six weeks working 12 to 16 hour days to build this thing in the spring of 2009. It weighs well over 5,000 lbs. and cost $10,000 in materials. We couldn't have done it without the full support of our friends, family, and community. People rallied from all over to help us make this thing a reality. From bringing us food and beer, to helping us lift heavy shit, to getting down on their hands and knees and painting metal with a brush.

There was nothing like hauling ass at this thing, ollying off the water, hoping you didn't catch your toe side edge, and then greasing the full 69 feet of the ledge to the end. The boombox was my favorite feature, and it's very sad to see her put to rest.

The good news is that there are plans and funding in the works to build a new, more manageable, more approachable, and progression friendly feature in it's place.

With that said, we could use any and all hands that are available this weekend. Some of us will be be working on the tear down full-time both days, but we're encouraging others to show up between 10AM – 5PM either Saturday or Sunday, for any amount of time you can donate.

We will be performing the tear down on the South short of the Nichols Boat Basin, just behind the 76 Station and the old Windwing Building: http://goo.gl/maps/w1QSs

We have a good group of people already committed to helping with the project as well as a plethora of tools, but that isnt’ to say that we couldn’t use more. Demo tools are great: generators, sawzalls with metal cutting blades, screw guns, gloves, protective eye-wear – anything that you may have available will help.

Feel free to reach out to Rich Sabo at rsabo@pureactionsports.com or at 720-480-7933 if you think you have the tools or if you have any questions on if you can help. If anyone has a hand held power saw capable of cutting through 2” tubed mild steel, that be amazing. There will be pizza and beer……

Thanks,
Forrest and Rich

18DJ0649.jpg 
   construction.jpg 

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostTue Apr 01, 14 2:29 pm     Reply with quote

An end to an era. I remember you guys building that thing in your yard Forrest, which at times, seemed like a never ending nightmare/process. So big as it slowly came to life. Too bad it's being dismantled because she's a spruce goose relic for sure.

See you Saturday to tip a cold one in honor of it's service and if you end up renting a saw for the 2" pm me the cost and I'll reimburse you for that once onsite etc.

Sabo

Since 13 May 2013
51 Posts
Hood River

PostTue Apr 01, 14 3:09 pm    Thanks! Reply with quote

Thanks for all the effort you've put in over the years to make Hood River the only place with a permanent slider park. I've definitely taken advantage of all your hard work over the years and am happy to start paying it all back!

I definitely have bad memories of catching the underside of that transfer rail and being caught with me on one side and kite on the other....many times Wink.

Thanks to anyone who has helped in the past and excited for the take down this weekend!

Office: (252) 489-2959 x0248
Mobile: (720) 480-7933
www.bestkiteboarding.com

bulae99

Since 12 Jul 2006
1691 Posts

I give out bad advice.

PostWed Apr 02, 14 10:35 am    If I was there I would help with my ski..I'm in NM Reply with quote

Hey,
I was glad to help in the fall, but I'm land locked in NM. I'll be back in June and can help then.

Ron

Jonpnw

Since 22 Jul 2010
1323 Posts
Pacific Northwest
XTreme Poster

PostThu Apr 03, 14 6:41 am    Quikfin Reply with quote

We plan on helping Saturday. We have a generator , would a cordless sawzall cut the mild steel or are you looking for a chop saw ?

I have sent Rich an email.

Join the Columbia Gorge Water Sports Association. http://gorgewindsurfing.org/

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostThu Apr 03, 14 6:59 am     Reply with quote

Yea, the tube steel should be easily cut by that with the right blades. We're trying to make sure we cut things nice and clean so we can salvage most of the materials and maybe build a new feature at some later point and time.

Jonpnw

Since 22 Jul 2010
1323 Posts
Pacific Northwest
XTreme Poster

PostThu Apr 03, 14 8:04 am    Forrest - Rich ? Reply with quote

Will this bandsaw work ? Would love to bring the chop saw but was hoping to shred a few laps at Meadows before getting dirty Very Happy

Team Quikfin

band saw.JPG 

chop.JPG
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  chop.JPG
 Filesize:  485.66 KB
 Downloaded:  114 Time(s)
 Note:  Use Pixlr to resize images to lower than 1024x768 resolution so they show up inline.

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostThu Apr 03, 14 8:14 am     Reply with quote

Definitely bring the band saw! I have a chop saw I'm bringing already.

Jonpnw

Since 22 Jul 2010
1323 Posts
Pacific Northwest
XTreme Poster

PostThu Apr 03, 14 8:19 am    Deal ! Reply with quote

See you there !

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostFri Apr 04, 14 7:17 am     Reply with quote

Temira posted up this Forecast, so we might need to shut it down early on Saturday, which is okay, no sense in getting all the tools wet.

Quote:
Saturday starts partly cloudy, becoming just-plain-cloudy in the afternoon with rain after 4pm. Wind will increase out of the west during the day. Temps will be in the low 40's early and low 50's in the afternoon.

Sunday looks partly cloudy early, becoming clear in the afternoon with moderate west wind. Temps will be in the 50's early and upper 50's late. Monday should be in the 70's, and Tuesday should be a bit cooler and cloudier.

Jonpnw

Since 22 Jul 2010
1323 Posts
Pacific Northwest
XTreme Poster

PostFri Apr 04, 14 1:37 pm    Weather ? Reply with quote

Forrest,

We were planning on being there to help Saturday mid morning through the afternoon. If we can't make Sunday, how about we drop off a band saw you can use until your done ? We will pick it up at a later date?

Jon
Quikfin

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostFri Apr 04, 14 1:41 pm     Reply with quote

Sounds good. Lets play it by ear.

Jonpnw

Since 22 Jul 2010
1323 Posts
Pacific Northwest
XTreme Poster

PostSat Apr 05, 14 7:52 pm    Good Times ! Reply with quote

Nice to meet you all Forrest, Brandon , Rich , Jack , Chris , Trew Hat & Cool Glasses (sorry) and Sensi.

Had a good time , after this startup week it felt good to destroy some stuff. We look forward to lending a hand on future projects.

Quikfin

photo.JPG 

Sabo

Since 13 May 2013
51 Posts
Hood River

PostTue Apr 08, 14 11:15 am     Reply with quote

Thanks so much to everyone who came out to help! I just got back from the scrap yard where I was able to salvage some of that steel - also saved a bit for the next summer project. I was so stoked to have such a showing of people that made it possible to take a 3-day project and turn into a pleasant afternoon full of amazing power tools!

Also - in my backyard currently are some pontoons on a trailer. See the photo: Anyone who might be interested in this or might have a place it can be stored until we figure out what to do with it (ideally sell it as fast as possible) please let me know! I live in a neighborhood where this can't sit for too long!

Thanks again Forrest - you made such a sick feature and I'm sorry to see it go. I promise we will raise something fun from the ashes!

20140407_145040_resized.jpg
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  20140407_145040_resized.jpg
 Filesize:  612.69 KB
 Downloaded:  179 Time(s)
 Note:  Use Pixlr to resize images to lower than 1024x768 resolution so they show up inline.

Office: (252) 489-2959 x0248
Mobile: (720) 480-7933
www.bestkiteboarding.com

chanson

Since 31 Jan 2006
1873 Posts
WISCONSIN
Chimey

PostFri Apr 11, 14 7:09 am     Reply with quote

fun times on that thing for sure!

-Forrest and Joby, keep me in the loop when ya'll need more HDPE for the future projects! always happy to help.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: