Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Kiting in Newport?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
chanson

Since 31 Jan 2006
1873 Posts
WISCONSIN
Chimey

PostMon Oct 09, 06 12:56 pm    Kiting in Newport? Reply with quote

My buddy is getting a rental in NEwport next weekend and I am making the trek down on Sat.

Does anyone know which beach/es work for which wind.?
I heard some info on South Beach, but not too clear...

Any info would help...
Thanks.

pacifichigh

Since 11 May 2005
1004 Posts
ATX
Texan

PostMon Oct 09, 06 1:40 pm     Reply with quote

South Jetty

Mocean

Since 21 Sep 2005
343 Posts
Newport
Obsessed

PostMon Oct 09, 06 6:09 pm     Reply with quote

Think of some options, cause this is the season when the wind generally shuts down. Here's some suggestions:

1) mountain board kiting in light winds at low tide
2) surfing
3) hiking
4) the Bayfront (don't miss Sada's if you like sushi)
5) crabbing off the dock at south beach marina
6) the Rogue Brewery

Spend lots of money while you're here - its good for the local economy!

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostMon Oct 09, 06 6:24 pm     Reply with quote

South Beach sucked today! I expected the wind to be a bit flukey as it was coming out of the east, but there was pretty much nothing when I arrived ~2:00 (only made the drive since the sensor was okay early this morning)... Oh well, my friend got to surf some pretty clean, but small waves which at least made the trip somewhat worth it.

Thanks for the info the other day, Steve. Helps out a lot! Thumb's Up

Mocean

Since 21 Sep 2005
343 Posts
Newport
Obsessed

PostMon Oct 09, 06 8:01 pm     Reply with quote

Sure was warm today though - Usually things get hot and wierd when they're calling Northeasteries, sometimes it'll switch to north by afternoon but othertimes it just stays east. This time of year then N winds are usually done.

Ryan

Since 14 Jul 2005
536 Posts
Oregon
Addicted

PostMon Oct 09, 06 8:02 pm     Reply with quote

for a north wind S. Beach is by far the best in the local area. if the wind isnt cooperating look at agate beach wayside or Mulak beach, they tent to be a bit windier that S. Beach but dont have the waves or wind direction.

florence to the south is a great place and often windier (90% of the time) than newport. Roads end in Lincoln City is another good spot especially when the swell is small, it tends to be really side on but has great waves for jumping and some creative wave riding.

cheers,

Ryan

chanson

Since 31 Jan 2006
1873 Posts
WISCONSIN
Chimey

PostMon Oct 09, 06 9:30 pm    thanks for the info. Reply with quote

cool.
Mocean, yeah, thanks for the sushi and beer info. I just got a mountainboard so that will be with me for sure. If its too light, I could def. keep the girlfriend entertained with some hiking or crabbing.

I'll just hope there is wind on the way.

Thanks.

Tony

Since 28 Aug 2006
940 Posts
Portland
Opinionated

PostTue Oct 10, 06 7:18 am    Re: thanks for the info. Reply with quote

chanson wrote:
cool.
Mocean, yeah, thanks for the sushi and beer info. I just got a mountainboard so that will be with me for sure. If its too light, I could def. keep the girlfriend entertained with some hiking or crabbing.

I'll just hope there is wind on the way.

Thanks.

Yeah man, not matter what, always - I mean always bring your shit dude...Cause you just never know...It would suck to be in NewPort and all of the sudden you see Epict conditions... Shocked Shocked ..Wow...so you rush to your rig and reality sinks in...Holy crap, I didn't bring the kites...Now,,,I'm not the cammander of this operation - but that would suck big time...Anyways, have fun man...Good to see you at Rooster Yesterday...I'll PM you my digits later...
tr

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: