Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Seaside bound? Watch out for Hood 2 Coast...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostThu Aug 24, 06 1:43 pm    Seaside bound? Watch out for Hood 2 Coast... Reply with quote

From what I hear it makes it nearly impossible to get in or out of Seaside... Maybe its better to aim for central/south coast this weekend unless you can get in Seaside before tomorrow or after Saturday.

gabe

Since 16 May 2005
475 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Aug 24, 06 2:28 pm    Re: Seaside bound? Watch out for Hood 2 Coast... Reply with quote

can someone provide more info.....

is it just seaside proper, or the whole area around there....

what times exactly is it bad....

pkh wrote:
From what I hear it makes it nearly impossible to get in or out of Seaside... Maybe its better to aim for central/south coast this weekend unless you can get in Seaside before tomorrow or after Saturday.

Bettyboarder

Since 18 Mar 2005
1823 Posts
PDX/ White Salmon
Mrs. Site Lackey

PostThu Aug 24, 06 2:35 pm     Reply with quote

Gabe,

Here's a link to the Hood to Coast page it has a map of the route they will be running.

"Hood To Coast - Start times begin at 8:00am, Friday, in waves of approximately 20 teams each. They continue every 15 minutes, thru 7:45pm. "

http://www.hoodtocoast.com/dev/map.php

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostThu Aug 24, 06 2:46 pm     Reply with quote

From what I hear its probably going to screw up the whole weekend there, people will still be running in all day Saturday, and likely stick around till Sunday.

Only solution is to leave now and camp out in Troll's driveway all weekend. Very Happy

boardrider

Since 05 Apr 2006
1034 Posts
Ventura, CA
XTreme Poster

PostThu Aug 24, 06 4:33 pm     Reply with quote

Looks like i5 north to Longview, and out hw30 through Astoria will work. All state park camp sites are booked for the week - end. Anyone know of other north coast 'camping' areas that might be available? -C
-if anyone cares - KOA is booked, and Cape disappointment has 1 full hook up available.

Last edited by boardrider on Thu Aug 24, 06 4:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

gabe

Since 16 May 2005
475 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Aug 24, 06 4:43 pm     Reply with quote

the actual route they take doesn't look like a problem. i guess the issue is if they back up all the other routes...

does it make it hard to go from seaside to manzanita?

boardrider

Since 05 Apr 2006
1034 Posts
Ventura, CA
XTreme Poster

PostThu Aug 24, 06 4:50 pm     Reply with quote

Good point Gabe. I need a motorcycle to pack my gear on and buzz around all the traffic - then maybe I'd have the whole place to myself . Wink .

trevorsmith

Since 25 Apr 2005
501 Posts
PDX
Addicted

PostFri Aug 25, 06 10:25 am     Reply with quote

I have ran H2C several times, I recommend staying out of Seaside Area period. It is a cluster. Around 1200 teams of 12 people each all day on Sunday. Plus you have the Portland to Coast walkers for about another 5000 people.

kt

Since 16 Mar 2005
759 Posts
Portland, Or
Opinionated

PostFri Aug 25, 06 11:39 am     Reply with quote

hey forum,

so, on a 'normal' day, which is faster to get to sunset beach, 26/101 or I5/30 down through astoria?

i am thinking of doing the I5/30 but, just stopping at ft. stevens. where should i go, parking lot D like the east wind days? i think i remember that you can get to the ocean side from that parking lot, is that the best one?

thanks for the suggestions.

kt

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostFri Aug 25, 06 11:42 am     Reply with quote

In all honesty, it may be faster to head down to corvallis and head to newport then head north. All the support waggons and such on 26 are a nightmare.

scottnorby

Since 23 Sep 2005
538 Posts
Cascadia - Seattle - Encinitas
Addicted

PostFri Aug 25, 06 12:13 pm     Reply with quote

Looks good right now.
Wind is building steady with no gusting...... and looking perfect at 'the sunset strip.
Seaside will be packed but I would recommend hanging in Astoria and Gearhart.
Astoria has warm sun and some insane restaurants.

Check out the Columbian cafe in Astoria....some of the best food on the north coast....addicting food.
Voodoo lounge bar next door has live music Fridays and Saturdays.

genek

Since 21 Jul 2006
2165 Posts
East Po
KGB

PostFri Aug 25, 06 12:21 pm     Reply with quote

kt wrote:
hey forum,

so, on a 'normal' day, which is faster to get to sunset beach, 26/101 or I5/30 down through astoria?

i am thinking of doing the I5/30 but, just stopping at ft. stevens. where should i go, parking lot D like the east wind days? i think i remember that you can get to the ocean side from that parking lot, is that the best one?

thanks for the suggestions.

kt

That depends on where you're coming from. I live in Beaverton and think that without any traffic highway 26 might be a bit faster, but the Cornelius Pass to highway 30 to Astoria route comes pretty close. If you live near I-5 then that might be the route to take. If you want to go to the ocean by the jetty you should go to parking lot C. Lot D takes you to the Columbia river I think, and the mouth of the river has some fast current where it meets the ocean.

With regards to going thru Corvallis I'm not sure why you'd go North from there if you're already by Newport...shouldn't you just tear it up down there? Besides, highway 101 is usually slow due to non-kiters that don't realize the urgency of getting to the wind and like to drive under the speed limit and enjoy the view Rolling Eyes For heading to Manzanita I'll probably take highway 6 thru Tillamook since that's not much further than going the 26 route. Lincoln City seems like a 2 hour drive or so...which isn't much more than Manz. So many options, but where will the best wind be?

Now just have to wait for the wind gods to do their part...

bambam

Since 15 Mar 2005
760 Posts
Hood River
Photographer

PostFri Aug 25, 06 12:56 pm     Reply with quote

Mr. Norby,

Ducking past the boss and headed to the car right now... Keep putting quarters in the wind machine please...

Jon

kt

Since 16 Mar 2005
759 Posts
Portland, Or
Opinionated

PostFri Aug 25, 06 1:40 pm     Reply with quote

genek wrote:

That depends on where you're coming from. I live in Beaverton and think that without any traffic highway 26 might be a bit faster, but the Cornelius Pass to highway 30 to Astoria route comes pretty close. If you live near I-5 then that might be the route to take. If you want to go to the ocean by the jetty you should go to parking lot C. Lot D takes you to the Columbia river I think, and the mouth of the river has some fast current where it meets the ocean.

Now just have to wait for the wind gods to do their part...

hey gene,

i am very close to I-5 so, i will try that and lot C. thanks very much.

kt

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: