Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Survival Situations

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostSun Feb 06, 11 11:24 pm    Survival Situations Reply with quote

OK, we're watching this show about a guy who was in a bad spot in Utah and ended up surviving. That's good, but it pisses me off how the idiot news people pass on really, really, bad myths about survival. If you're going to be in situations where you might have to count on your wits to survive, that's fine. But for God's sake learn a little bit about how to survive.

Myths.

1. Food. F%$@ eating. Unless you've got shitloads of water, DO NOT EAT. Digesting food takes water. You can survive for over 21 days without food, maybe much longer. You can go 5 or 6 days without water. If you are water limited, eating WILL SHORTEN how long you can survive. In survival training, I went damn near a week without eating. Hiking a long damned ways each day. Yeah, I missed eating. But It didn't slow me down as much as you'd think. Believe it or not, tightening your belt really does help.

2. Rationing Water. F$%& that. Do not over drink, but drink when you are thirsty. As long as you don't over-hydrate, water intake DOES NOT control water out. Rationing water simply hastens the point at which water loss affects your thought process. Plus, as an added benefit, water not in your body can be accidentally spilled. Once in your body, you can't spill it.

3. Drinking Urine and/or salt water. Jesus, are there still people that think this will help???? If movies/TV are your source of info for survival tactics, stay out of the woods/outdoors. Drinking Urine/Salt Water WILL NOT extend your life, it WILL SHORTEN IT. There's a damned reason your body is getting rid of the urine. And it's not because it would help you to keep it in your body.

Sorry for the rant. It just pisses me off when reporters pass off bad information that could kill somebody, because they're just too ignorant and lazy to check their facts.

EDITED to remove rum induced profanity. Embarassed

Last edited by Nak on Mon Feb 07, 11 9:23 am; edited 1 time in total

tautologies

Since 24 Aug 2006
602 Posts
Oahu
Addicted

PostMon Feb 07, 11 2:11 am     Reply with quote

...which reminds me of the biggest fraud of "survival" tips on TV....

bear-grylls-every-episode.jpg 

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostMon Feb 07, 11 11:19 am     Reply with quote

I have not eaten in 20 days. I HAVE been drinking water though (toilet water). Most of the time I flush before hand but sometimes I'm just to thirsty to bother.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVvAw2VFR4Y&feature=PlayList&p=FB7233C37686AC79&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=34

krazedkiter

Since 08 Jun 2009
183 Posts
Florida
Stoked

PostTue Feb 08, 11 7:42 pm     Reply with quote

Screw food and water. How the feck am i surviving 2 months of no kiting in the middle of our friggin' season. .....Splain me that!

I once saw that survival dude show do two very nasty things. He ate meat off a rotting lion kill Zebra carcass that was nasty as all could be and....for the kicker....he picked up an elephant dung pile, lifted it over his head and squeezed the moisture out directly into his mouth. I dont care if he knows what he is doing but that is one bad ass mofo.

Did you see the man/wife survival series?

Macaframa

Since 06 Jul 2010
81 Posts
California Delta

PostTue Feb 08, 11 8:48 pm    Party Pee Reply with quote

The Koryak people of Siberia are reported to have used the psychoactive Amanita muscaria mushroom, commonly known as fly agaric, as a ceremonial entheogen. The active alkaloids are unchanged as they pass through the human body, allowing the urine to retain the intoxicating effects of the mushroom: those who drank the urine of those using the mushroom would experience the psychoactive effects, themselves. Tribesmen who could not afford the mushrooms drank the urine of those who could; tribesmen drank their own urine in order to prolong the experience; and tribesmen on trips carried their own urine with them.

-Urophagia on Wikipedia

..."Hey! You're not just gonna spill that out are you!?"

IMG_0842.JPG 

genek

Since 21 Jul 2006
2165 Posts
East Po
KGB

PostTue Feb 08, 11 9:12 pm    Re: Party Pee Reply with quote

Macaframa wrote:
The Koryak people of Siberia are reported to have used the psychoactive Amanita muscaria mushroom, commonly known as fly agaric, as a ceremonial entheogen. The active alkaloids are unchanged as they pass through the human body, allowing the urine to retain the intoxicating effects of the mushroom: those who drank the urine of those using the mushroom would experience the psychoactive effects, themselves. Tribesmen who could not afford the mushrooms drank the urine of those who could; tribesmen drank their own urine in order to prolong the experience; and tribesmen on trips carried their own urine with them.

-Urophagia on Wikipedia

..."Hey! You're not just gonna spill that out are you!?"

Sounds like the modern day meth heads eating their own skin sores to get high again. Apparently the crystals can find their way into the skin.

TWIN-FIN

Since 24 May 2006
805 Posts
Portland, OR
Hot Monkey

PostWed Feb 09, 11 10:53 pm     Reply with quote

We experienced a "TWEAKER" with a one gallon jug full of his own pee-pee.
Apparently someone was following him and came into our place of business and asked if he could use the toilet? We told him that our restroom was currently out of order. It truly was out of order...thats another story. Anyway the guy starts cussing and throwing a fit he reaches for the lid on the jug as we grab him buy the collar and belt and rush him out the door just in time for the lid to come off the jug of pee-pee. He empties the jug all over the front entrance way.

We call the cops and they explain to use that they keep their pee and distill it down. Apparently Meth is very water soluble and will crystalize when distilled, ready for round two.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostThu Feb 10, 11 9:27 am     Reply with quote

Previous posts are hardcore, but I guess things are also relative. I keep a couple of extra Heinekens in my gear bag just in case I forgot to bring the cooler filled with beer and ice. Nothing worse than not being able to have an apres session beer.

Youkai

Since 08 Feb 2010
553 Posts
Beaverton
Addicted

PostThu Feb 10, 11 11:51 am     Reply with quote

When did this thread change from a rant about people passing on potentially unsafe survival techniques to a discussion on which substances you can consume and then piss out and recover? lol

Gorgegezzer

Since 14 Jan 2007
67 Posts

PostThu Feb 10, 11 5:46 pm    the thread did change a bit Reply with quote

I don't like it when people put them selves in danger practically on purpose and then get their 15 minutes or more of fame. There is some benefit to knowing some good survival things, like the kid who saw how people got out of a car sinking in the water. When it happened to his family, he knew how to get out of the car, waiting until the pressure equalized on the doors. Something like that. Bad survival info certainly is not good.,
I am down here in SPI and the kiting has been great a couple of days. The kiters and windsurfers only go out in the bay a mile or so and then come back. No need to go out there 4 or 5 miles, if something went wrong, nobody would see it. potentially life threatening situation.

windmtnpete

Since 13 Sep 2009
46 Posts
Home Valley

PostFri Feb 11, 11 8:14 am     Reply with quote

Next time the wind dies and you find yourself stuck on Wells Island in life or death situation, you must consider all the options...

Link

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: