Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Photo-report: Brazil

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
vilaprea

Since 07 May 2006
3 Posts
Prea, Ceara, Brazil
Kook

PostSun May 07, 06 8:23 pm    Photo-report: Brazil Reply with quote

Brazil is becoming a famous destination for kitesurfers and with 600 km of beaches, the coast of Ceara, offers 6 months (July thru December) of constant wind, tropical climate, amazing white sandy beaches, and best of all, the Brazilians and their positive attitude! Here is a quick overview of the area:

The most publicized spot is probably Cumbuco because of it's proximity to Fortaleza (about 15 miles). Another spot becoming well-known is Paracuru, about 100 miles West of Fortaleza, also good wind and water conditions, Paracuru is the largest city on the coast between Fortaleza and Jericoacoara.

Pousadas (brazilian bed and breakfasts) are usually located close to the spots, you shouldn't have to walk for more than 5 minutes, and in most cases there is lodging right on the beach, then all you have to do is wake-up, have breakfast and ride.

There is a new kite beach coming up called "Prea", it is 7 miles before you get to Jericoacoara. Kite beach is a 10 mile-long bay with white sand, guaranteed side-on-shore winds from July to December, and no obstacles or rocks!! There are no safety issues here (such as gear disappearing from the beach) because of the distance from larger cities and the locals are very friendly, many times fishermen will bring back lost gear.

View the kitesurf video at : http://www.vilaprea.com

A lot of people remember Prea for its unbelievable 10 km sunset downwinders, and the village borders the National Parc where there are manyflat-water-lagoons (only 10 min. buggy drive), the wind there may be a little gusty, but the spots are beautiful

In regards to the wind conditions, almost every day between July and December in Prea, 20 knots in the morning and 25 to 30 in the afternoon, then it usually drops about 5 knots before sunset.

In Sept, Oct and Nov, you may get 3-5 days a month with 35 knots in the afternoon, due to the New Moon and Full Moon effects Shocked

The fishing village of Prea is starting to develop and has a couple of restaurants and hotels on the beach, and if you are looking for some serious nightlife, Jericoacoara is only a 15 minute dune buggy ride away, party goes on from midnight to 6:00 am.

We just added a new slideshow of the area (Kitesurfing, Prea, the National parc and Jericoacoara) at:

New slideshow at : http://www.vilaprea.com/pictures

New pictures of Prea Beach

Dimitri Maramenides having fun in the waves

Kite tiki hut by the water, on Prea Beach

Dune buggy excursions!

View from Vila Prea's restaurant

Leeshai Miller, flying

Sunrise on the beach

Chilling in between 2 sessions

Major downwind!

Capoeira

Vila Prea, the restaurant

Vila Prea, the beach bungalows

The open bathroom

View from the bathroom

Happy (and cute!) kitesurfer

She just found out that Vila Prea is offering a 35 % discount for bookings before May 15th! And free access to wireless internet is included.

How to get there: The closest international airport is Fortaleza Pinto Martins (airport code FOR)

Airlines: TAM just opened a new direct flight from Miami to Fortaleza, start June 1st, just in time for the new season!

If you need any more info on the area or are looking for lodging, pm me or email me at info@vilaprea.com

Cool

Sol-flyer

Since 21 Mar 2006
1280 Posts
Dude, where's my Bus?
Otto Mann

PostSun May 07, 06 9:37 pm     Reply with quote

drooling.....

Slidingby

Since 29 Mar 2006
125 Posts
Portland, OR
Stoked

PostSun May 07, 06 9:48 pm     Reply with quote

Shocked Confused Sad ..I want that!!

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostSun May 07, 06 10:20 pm     Reply with quote

Awesomeness!!!

I'm definately thinking I want one of these. Sort of like sleeping in your trailer at Rufus, but not really... Hope the tide doesn't come up too far! Very Happy

bamboo

Since 24 Jun 2005
165 Posts
da 'chung; taiwan
Stoked

PostMon May 08, 06 5:38 am     Reply with quote

um, yeah...sign me up.

coastercoe

Since 28 Mar 2005
35 Posts
redmond

PostMon May 08, 06 10:57 am    group trip Reply with quote

perhaps a nw crew should visit in the fall...

tonski

Since 11 Jun 2005
332 Posts
NW Portland
Obsessed

PostMon May 08, 06 2:54 pm     Reply with quote

Sounds great - I imagine a PDX to Fortaleza itinerary is really spendy nowdays though - anyone priced it out, or know which airlines to book with, and what season the best rates can be found? The transport to Prea alone is $200 each way by 4X4 at current exchange rates.

As a sidenote, sometimes that nonstop PDX - Maui flight really seems like the best way to get to paradise without too much time, hassle, or cost.

Very Happy Tonski

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostMon May 08, 06 5:14 pm     Reply with quote

Yeah I'd agree with Tonski... I'd love to check out Brazil, but unless I had 2-3 weeks to spare, I think I'd stick to places closer to home. Much cheaper to fly to, less time in airplanes, etc..

With that much airplane time and airfare, you could do Australia... I think I'd probably check that place out first.

vilaprea

Since 07 May 2006
3 Posts
Prea, Ceara, Brazil
Kook

PostSun Aug 06, 06 7:34 pm     Reply with quote

The best season for wind is between July and December, best time to fly (price-wise) from North America is between September and begining of December, there is a new TAM flight that flies from Miami to Fortaleza (you leave at 8:30 pm, get into Fortaleza at 6:45 am, and you stay in the same plane), return ticket is in the US$ 750's.

For those who can't afford it, sign up for the Vila Prea giveaway: a 10 day stay for 2 with breakfast + free airport transfers in 4 x 4 vehicle + 5 downwinders (15 km) + free internet access for those who register at www.vilaprea.com before August 15th.

Also get 30% discount off standard rates if you book your vacation before August 31st!

Pm me or click here for more details. Very Happy

shredjim

Since 07 Jun 2006
186 Posts

Stoked

PostTue Aug 08, 06 9:59 am    The place rocks Reply with quote

Nice Post Fred ! Folks, Villa Prea is one awesome place. Luxury on the Beach with outstanding food! All of the coast line between Fortaleza and Jeri offer tremendous kiting opportunities - the places south of Prea have better waves. I was in Brazil from Nov - Jan last year and the first 45 days I was there it blew 12 meter conditions or better EVERY day. Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: