Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Getting yanked versus floating

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
kitegrrrl

Since 22 Mar 2006
31 Posts

PostFri Jun 30, 06 7:12 am    Getting yanked versus floating Reply with quote

Now that I am staying up wind with minimal effort, I’m focusing on jumping. I had two successful jumps yesterday and several failed attempts. When I got it right, it felt big, gentle and floaty. The board stayed under me and I landed easily.

All my other attempts were more violent. I’d get yanked off the board which seemed to stick in the water. Then my leash pulled tight, on my last attempt the leash snapped. I’d really appreciate any advice on why the board is sticking in the water.

Here is what I am doing. I get going fast with the kite pretty low (9 o’clock). Then, I edge as hard as I can. Just before I bring the kite across I transfer my weight to my front foot. I bring the kite across pretty fast to 2 o’clock. Next, I find myself in the air. Either the board is still with me and everything feels great, or the board is still in the water and I am flying through the air like superman (really my style is more like the Greatest American Hero). If the board is with me, I point it the direction that I am going and the world is a happy place. If the board ditched me at take off. I land on my stomach.

What should I be doing to convince the board to come along for the ride?

Thanks

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostFri Jun 30, 06 7:51 am     Reply with quote

By leash do you mean board leash? If so maybe before jumping you should get rid of that...

kitegrrrl

Since 22 Mar 2006
31 Posts

PostFri Jun 30, 06 8:01 am    Getting yanked versus floating Reply with quote

I know board leashes are dangerous, really dangerous. I almost don't need it anymore. I only use it at certain riding spots. I'd like to find one of those Go Joe's but I can't find anyone who sells them.

I hope this doesn't turn in to one of those board leashes are dangerous threads. As soon as I can stop getting yanked out of my board I'll say good riddance to the leash. I do appriciate your concern and am looking forward to being done with the board leash death trap.

tonski

Since 11 Jun 2005
332 Posts
NW Portland
Obsessed

PostFri Jun 30, 06 8:01 am     Reply with quote

I find the "most gentle" jumps occur when I make smaller movements with the kite, from say 10 or 11 to 1 or 2 or vice versa. I've never had the board stick and body fly, so it sounds like you might need to refine the power you are creating. Also, tighten the footstraps and make sure you are riding upwind when you take off. I'm still figuring it out, too. Happy kiting, Tonski

Inept_Fun

Since 14 Apr 2005
1417 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostFri Jun 30, 06 8:27 am     Reply with quote

Find out where you feel your kite make that tuging feeling that pulls you up into the air. Once you figure out at what point your kite makes this pull, try and pop right where that pull starts. Your kite will pull you up higher and this should eliminate the problem of your board sticking to the water. Another reason this could be happening is because you are edging to hard when you send it. If you pop where it pulls you should be fine.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostFri Jun 30, 06 9:14 am     Reply with quote

Baby steps - try a session with like 50 little hoppy jumps 5ft or so- small movements like Tonski advises - "smaller movements with the kite, from say 10 or 11 to 1 or 2". Get that dialed.

Maybe a session just focus on body dragging sans leash.

When you start launching 10 - 30 ft (can be a mystery how high you'll go as you figure this out - still is for me) You'll find you will have a different set of problems - how fast can you kick that board off so you don't break your ankles on impact if your not going to land it. Might not want to try jumping with that leash.

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostFri Jun 30, 06 1:38 pm     Reply with quote

A. What kind of kite are you jumping with? flat and C kites should be jumped differently. For flat kite jumping find the thread called "ouch that hurts"

B. You REALLY need to get rid of the leash, I know your thinking that your board is going to end up floating to japan or something but body dragging back to your board is way easy. Getting stiches in the back of your head or wearng a cast on a borken ankle all summer is not. If you can jump, then you don't need a leash Smile

EdG

Since 19 Dec 2005
424 Posts
Just a Kook that's
Obsessed

PostFri Jun 30, 06 2:32 pm     Reply with quote

I’m also paranoid about loosing the leash, but I will be soon. I lost a board on my second day out. A quick $550 down the river!!! Once I get better at re-launching, I’ll drop the leash, and since I just bought a bow, that will be very soon. With 2 days out, the kite still has not been wet
Laughing

I can't wait!!!!

Sol-flyer

Since 21 Mar 2006
1280 Posts
Dude, where's my Bus?
Otto Mann

PostFri Jun 30, 06 3:22 pm    Re: Getting yanked versus floating Reply with quote

kitegrrrl wrote:
Now that I am staying up wind with minimal effort, I’m focusing on jumping. I had two successful jumps yesterday and several failed attempts. When I got it right, it felt big, gentle and floaty. The board stayed under me and I landed easily.

All my other attempts were more violent. I’d get yanked off the board which seemed to stick in the water. Then my leash pulled tight, on my last attempt the leash snapped. I’d really appreciate any advice on why the board is sticking in the water.

Here is what I am doing. I get going fast with the kite pretty low (9 o’clock). Then, I edge as hard as I can. Just before I bring the kite across I transfer my weight to my front foot. I bring the kite across pretty fast to 2 o’clock. Next, I find myself in the air. Either the board is still with me and everything feels great, or the board is still in the water and I am flying through the air like superman (really my style is more like the Greatest American Hero). If the board is with me, I point it the direction that I am going and the world is a happy place. If the board ditched me at take off. I land on my stomach.

What should I be doing to convince the board to come along for the ride?

Thanks

ok, this helped me out a lot, so i hope it'll help you.

1.) learn to "pop" off the water, this is actually jumping without using the kite.
2.) keep your kite at a 45 degree angle and start to edge upwind, if you edge to hard your kite will go to far outta the wind zone.
3.) make sure your hands are in the middle of the bar, oversteering will cause nice crashes(for bystanders)
4.) when you begin to turn the kite back behind you and your edging upwind,...there is a "sweet spot" that comes when you "pop" off the water and pull in on the bar, but your kite must be at the right angle,...that takes time.
5.) keep the kite directly above you until you get close enuff to water to "land" your jump. just before landing turn your kite back to the direction your going,...dont oversteer! this will stop the sticking problem reeeal quick Shocked
6.) when your floating nice and enjoying the view, be sure to spot your landing,...and as you get the hang of it youll find there are ways to go long distance, or go up, and back down in the same spot Wink

someone should fill in some blanks if i left out some,...like safety stuff and cheese poofs!

KiteKarl

Since 02 Mar 2005
213 Posts
Stockton, California
Stoked

PostFri Jun 30, 06 4:34 pm     Reply with quote

2 kinds of jumps, wakestyle and sent. When you get better you can combine em to varying degrees. With wakestyle you're basically looking for a piece of chop, sinking your butt down and then hopping off the lip. With a sent jump you're getting the kite at 45 degrees, cutting down wind to slack the lines a bit and then simultaneously cutting back hard, throwing your shoulders back and sending the kite to 12:30 or 1:00. On a c kite it should feel like getting shot out of a cannon. On a bow the take off is way more mellow and the technique as mentioned earlier, is a different set of directions. Anyway, on a c as soon as you leave the water start to bring the kite back forward again so it doesn't end up behind you dropping your ass. Different size kites, different line lengths, and different conditions all dictate the timing of all of this and that's something you just have to figure out for yourself. Keep in mind that really good riders eat shit alot too because they're always pushing themselves so rip it up and make sure no one else is down wind of you. Oh, and lose the board leash unless you like the scalped look. Practice body dragging skills, there's been a bunch of tips over the years posted on this forum and kiteforum so read em all. If you're out with a bunch of good people like most kiteboarders are and they see you dragging for awhile they'll pick up your board for you anyway. Oh, one last thing; always put your name and number on your board! Peace, Karl.

Hein

Since 08 Mar 2005
1313 Posts

Possessed

PostFri Jun 30, 06 5:26 pm     Reply with quote

Before you jump, unhook.
otherwise it's not a jump.
It's a dangle.

Jumping is something you
do with your legs. So park
the kite, crouch, load,
and pop! Grunting helps.

If you want you kite to pull
you up...

On a C kite you gotta SEND IT.
and if it's low, Flick it.

On a bow you just ride along
and sheet in.

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostFri Jun 30, 06 7:40 pm     Reply with quote

Ruben's popping is the shiet! Bombastic as hell!!!

kiteboard117

Since 02 Mar 2005
450 Posts
PDX
McLovin

PostFri Jun 30, 06 7:53 pm     Reply with quote

Quote:
I edge as hard as I can. Just before I bring the kite across I transfer my weight to my front foot. I bring the kite across pretty fast to 2 o’clock.
your front foot is not in the picture. "pop" doesnt happen if your leaning forward thats why your board wants to saty in the water. right when you send that sucker stomp your back foot. the timing for your pop off the water is what you need to practise but if your doing it right you should have the board stay on your feet. ya dangly stuff ins not legit but your not ready for no whip un dangly jumps yet. stay hooked in otherwise your going to get out of control.

KiteKarl

Since 02 Mar 2005
213 Posts
Stockton, California
Stoked

PostFri Jun 30, 06 9:06 pm     Reply with quote

Oh, and welcome to the sport of style nazis. Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: