Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

What to do about screwy bladders?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Project_Flightning

Since 10 Oct 2005
47 Posts
Sea-Town & South Beach

PostTue Jun 20, 06 11:06 am    What to do about screwy bladders? Reply with quote

My question has to do with my '04 16m Naish V4. The problem is with both of the bladders on the struts just out side of the center strut. While inflating the struts, the nipple wants to slide back into the strut. I can always remember having this problem with this kite. However it's been getting worse. It makes it quite difficult to get proper pressure since the stopper ball wont engage, and the plug does not seem secure. Someone suggested to put baby powder between the strut and bladder. I tried this but to no avail.

Thanks for your help. I figured these issues had to of been covered some time on here and kiteforum but it’s a pain in the ass to search when you can’t search by just topic title.

-Tyson-

kiteboard117

Since 02 Mar 2005
450 Posts
PDX
McLovin

PostTue Jun 20, 06 11:11 am     Reply with quote

its just twisted inside the kite. you can take out the stut and put it back in straight or try to massage the blader straight while it is only partialy inflated.

Project_Flightning

Since 10 Oct 2005
47 Posts
Sea-Town & South Beach

PostTue Jun 20, 06 11:29 am     Reply with quote

I tried to massage it and it didn't seem to get me anywhere. Is there anywhere online where I could go that could walk me through how to remove and re-insert the bladder? From looking at it I don't really understand how it's done.

tstansbury

Since 06 Jun 2006
649 Posts
Rowena and P.C
Addicted

PostTue Jun 20, 06 11:50 am     Reply with quote

tie a string on the nipple open the velcro on the other end and pull it out. Then use the string to pull it back in make sure the bladder is folded over with the velcro before closing it.

kiteboard117

Since 02 Mar 2005
450 Posts
PDX
McLovin

PostTue Jun 20, 06 11:50 am     Reply with quote

its pretty painless once you do it your first time. on the T.E. of the kite there should be a flap that will open up and expose the bladder. before you pull the bladder out atach a piece of string to the valve. then pull the bladder out and fold it up like an accordion (shit i cant spell). make sure the blader is totaly straight and put the tip back into the tail end of the stut. then just pull on the string that you atached to the valve. it helps if you get another person to feed the blader in keeping the twists out. also covering the whole bladder with baby powder while its out of the kite will help it slide its self into position. once the valve is seated in the hole in the stut close up the tailpipe on the strut. good luck and if you need help you can always bring it into ASI.

Project_Flightning

Since 10 Oct 2005
47 Posts
Sea-Town & South Beach

PostTue Jun 20, 06 11:59 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for your help guys. I think I'm going to stop off at urbansurf up here in Seattle. Thats where I bought it, hopefully they'll be willing to help me work out the kinks.

Sol-flyer

Since 21 Mar 2006
1280 Posts
Dude, where's my Bus?
Otto Mann

PostTue Jun 20, 06 12:06 pm     Reply with quote

i had the same problem with my 01' wipika, here's what helped me:

http://www.wipikakiteboarding.com/fileadmin/file_archive/shared/repair.wmv

also, the problem i had with my valve's trying to slip back into the strut was due to the material that secured the valve had worn away just enuff the make is slide around....so i used a lil piece of cloth tape(the medical kind) around the bottom part of the valve. viola!

hope this helps ya, i just had to repair a blow-out in my L.E., once you do somthing it gets easier the second time roun'

bambam

Since 15 Mar 2005
760 Posts
Hood River
Photographer

PostTue Jun 20, 06 12:15 pm     Reply with quote

Ahhhh, perfect... If you purchased it from a retailer, then "help" should be easier to get...

Jon

Project_Flightning

Since 10 Oct 2005
47 Posts
Sea-Town & South Beach

PostTue Jun 20, 06 11:00 pm     Reply with quote

bambam wrote:
Ahhhh, perfect... If you purchased it from a retailer, then "help" should be easier to get...

Jon

yes and it was, up at urbansurf Robin and I fiddled with it. However we didn't really get anywhere. He was essentially stumped. It seems as though when the bladder is around 70% inflated the end nearest the leading edge fills up and pushes the rest of the bladder down farther in the strut. Since it's the same problem on both of the bladders(the strut just out side the center strut), it seems as though it most likely wasn't circumstantial. I was thinking maybe at one point they were over inflated, or something of that sort. But Robin didn't seem to think so, so he's going to order 2 new bladders from airtime and we'll see if that takes care of it. Meanwhile I was still able to fly it today. Now the question remains, who's paying for the new bladders? Robin is a great guy and I know what ever we work out will be better than a fair deal.

NaishUSA

Since 07 Jul 2005
53 Posts
HR OR

PostWed Jun 21, 06 10:48 am     Reply with quote

Often times the strut bladders (and the LE) will get twists in them because of the way that the kite is rolled up after use. Although not out of the realm of possibility, I have never seen a construction issue that has caused bladders to twist in the struts.

As someone mentioned earlier in the thread, liberal use of talc will help keep the bladder from twisting and pulling the valve out of its opening. The only way to ensure that you get the bladder aligned correctly and talc'd up is to completely remove the bladder and reinstall (not sure if you did this with earlier applications of talc).

Also when the struts are pulled out of the kite, check to see if there is any sand buildup or salt crystalization inside of the strut. This can cause some friction points that may cause the bladder to twist out of shape. You may want to rinse them out and let them dry prior to reinstallation of the bladders just to make sure

Hope this info helps.

~Matt

[edit for clarity]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: