Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Motorcycle & Kitesurfing Trip to Baja: Trip Reports

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Sideoff

Since 09 Dec 2005
17 Posts

PostFri Dec 09, 05 8:11 am    Motorcycle & Kitesurfing Trip to Baja: Trip Reports Reply with quote

For those who are interested, I am going to be posting trip reports from a motorcycle & kitesurfing trip to Baja on a blog:

http://blog.myspace.com/peted74

I got the idea for this trip from a photo in a kitesurfing magazine. Amazing what you can do when you don't have to lug around three windsurfing boards, 8 sails, three masts, two booms...

Sideoff

Since 09 Dec 2005
17 Posts

PostFri Dec 09, 05 8:17 am     Reply with quote

BTW, if anyone else is interested in how to get kitesurfing gear onto a motorcycle, here's a photo that might help!

[/img]

Sideoff

Since 09 Dec 2005
17 Posts

PostWed Dec 14, 05 10:08 am    Trip Update Reply with quote

Well, I finally made it to Baja Joe's. It was windy yesterday, and it's windy already today! What a great spot. Lots of kites on the water yesterday. Hopefully I'll have some good reports to post over the next several days.

An update on the drive through Baja (not much kitesurfing, but it does include interesting things such as going clubbing in Tijuana and hitting a cow on the freeay at night!) is posted at:

http://blog.myspace.com/peted74

Pete

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostWed Dec 14, 05 11:33 am     Reply with quote

Very well written! I drove the full length of the Baja back in mid 80's. We too hit a cow! although we were in a full sized 78 impala. Now I know why the trucks all have Elliot Ness style full cow bashing front guards!

Have fun in Mulihay (sp?) Its the first town you get to as you head east over the dessert. Beautiful beaches and a layed back atmosphere.

Anyway, thanks for bringing back fun memories.
Mark

registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostThu Dec 15, 05 7:00 am     Reply with quote

wow, all those people who were trying to make your trip safe and enjoyable by telling you not to drive at night were not trying to trick you. Sounds like Darwin let one slip through. May your decisions be backed by some thought and logic upon your return. Hope you kite safer than that. P.S. I am surprised you didn't get robbed and stabbed in TJ with your seedy activities late in the nite. Shocked

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostThu Dec 15, 05 8:31 am     Reply with quote

don't mind registered, probably just winter crankiness. Wink

Sideoff

Since 09 Dec 2005
17 Posts

PostThu Dec 15, 05 11:17 am     Reply with quote

Trip continues to be a blast. The wind was great yesterday and Baja Joe's is a really cool spot. Being relatively new to the sport it is great to be in a locale that enables you to sail on a long reach but never get too far from the beach. Right below the launch the beach takes a hard left turn and runs out for miles. Plus Joe & the crew here are really friendly. There's a kitesurfing shop onsite with plenty of gear and a couple computers for guests with high speed access.

Yesterday I was on a 10 meter kite fully powered. Today it is windy again and still building. I'm headed out on the water!

Registered, I feel sorry for you man.

registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostFri Dec 16, 05 5:56 pm     Reply with quote

....and Mr.pete, I wound not talk the cow thing up too much on the way back. Cows are valuable stuff down those parts, if the owner or the police would have come across the scene you would be in jail for property damage. I hope you have a great safer trip home after some good days of wind. I am sure we will meet in florence this summer. Check out pelican reef resort up the road towards el sergento. It is the bomb, satilite private baths two kitchens 4 car garage 5 feet from launch, next time it may be something to consider along with not driving at nite. P.S. I am not always an ass. Laughing

pjc

Since 06 Mar 2005
649 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Dec 19, 05 6:16 pm     Reply with quote

don't feel sorry for registered. feel sorry for the guy whoose cow you creamed. i picked up a few local rancher-type hitchhikers when i was last thereabouts and with my limited spanish i got the impression they're not exactly in the BMW-kiteboarding holiday income level.

your trip looks cool though. maybe try to spread some extra love on the return trip to put some karma back in order

Sideoff

Since 09 Dec 2005
17 Posts

PostThu Dec 22, 05 5:21 pm     Reply with quote

The laws in Baja stipulate that property damage caused by a cow on the highway is the rancher's responsibility. So the rancher's karma is doing pretty well right now unless ACE Seguro decides to track him down, which I doubt they will. Also, judging from the size of the massive cattleguards on the commercial trucks who ply the road at night and the number of cow carcasses I've seen on the side of the road, I'd say this is pretty normal course of business. I've already heard of several other bike-cow collisions. I met one guy who hit two in a car in the course of a week. Probably about half the locals I've talked to have hit a cow or goat at least once, and the other half have ended up in a ditch to avoid one. They are building fences along many stretches of Hwy 1 to reduce the problem. In the meantime, I'm not going to beat myself up about the cow or the rancher. I just hope he found the carcass before the vultures did and got some meat off it. Those guys know the rules better than anyone.

For the rest of you who are more interested in wind reports than Mexican cattle laws, the wind continues to blow down here. Another good session today, albeit lighter. I was on a 16 meter. The last few days have been blasting, with people on kites ranging from 7-10 meters. La Ventana continues to deliver!

Scribble

Since 18 Nov 2005
636 Posts
NoPo
Addicted

PostThu Dec 22, 05 7:18 pm     Reply with quote

So is Baja Joes the place to stay in La Ventana? The pics look awesome. The only time I wish I lived in the same town as my family is when I have to spend my winter vacation in Alabama instead of some paradise. Maybe I can convince them that they want to spend Christmas in Baja next year.

Sideoff

Since 09 Dec 2005
17 Posts

PostFri Dec 23, 05 7:29 am     Reply with quote

I think Baja Joe's is a great place to stay. I will definitely come back here. The rooms are basic, but comfortable. The owners (Joe & Angie) are extremely cool as are the other folks I've met who setup camp here for the winter. There is a kiteboard shop in the office where you can replace anything that breaks plus they have good prices on new gear. I believe this is one of only a few kitesurf shops in baja?

By far, my favorite thing about Joe's is the launch. This is the last place on the beach before it makes a hard left turn and goes out for miles. So this means that even if you sail a few miles out from Joe's you're never more than a short swim from the beach. If you lose your board (which I did the other day) you can just swim in to shore and wait for it to wash up. 3-4 people have lost boards since I've been here and all have been found. Or you can body drag back and grab the "guest" atv and cruise down the beach to retrieve it later. Also, if the wind dies you can just walk back. You would get the same benefits from the other places in La Ventana too, but it's just a bit further back.

There is also a campground down the street that looks decent and I think it costs only about $10/night? It's a dusty parking lot with a lot of RVs and campers. Joe's has shared-bath rooms starting around $30/night and private baths going up to around $100. Having seen some other options in town plus the campground, this is where I'll come back to.

Looks like it's going to be another windy day here today, though it is still a little too early to call.

pjc

Since 06 Mar 2005
649 Posts

Addicted

PostSun Dec 25, 05 4:05 pm     Reply with quote

hey, i'm glad to know the deal on mexican cattle laws. had some close calls myself... thanks for schooling me Very Happy

have a safe trip back. and check out the snorkeling at the "hotel" if you haven't already done so. good no wind or late morning activity. (go through los planes and keep on going, should be a sign for the hotel to the left, a long winding road past a private airport and your there. high class place but beach is public so they can't keep you off, plus they're plenty friendly)

EdG

Since 19 Dec 2005
424 Posts
Just a Kook that's
Obsessed

PostThu Jan 05, 06 12:24 am    I'm glad you had wind... Reply with quote

I just got back from Baja/So. Cal and had nothing but no wind and/or 15' swells! Baja had 12mph shortly at La Bufadora but they turned onshore and dropped to 5mph. Since I don't surf, I was just taking pictures of some great waves in So. Cal. Next time I hope to be in the water, wind or no wind!@!@!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: