Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Thanks CGKA
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1814 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostWed Apr 30, 08 7:40 pm    Thanks CGKA Reply with quote

Launching from the Event Site has been super great. I want to thank the CGKA officers for making that happen.

Maybe we can carve out another week or two for next year: May 15th?

Eric

Spike

Since 13 May 2007
1414 Posts
Alameda
Spelling Expert

PostWed Apr 30, 08 8:14 pm     Reply with quote

or perhaps an exchange weekend in the summer where we use the event site and the windsurfers use the sandbar! Very Happy

cgka

Since 18 Jul 2006
278 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu May 01, 08 8:02 am     Reply with quote

Thanks Eric for your nice post. I'm in South Padre Kiteboarding now and did not get to attend the April Waterfront Recreation Committee meeting. My friends at the Port of HR tell me that unfortunately the Committee voted unamiously to end kiteboarding at the Eventsite March 31st next year instead of April 30th. A variety of reasons were cited mostly revolving around unsafe launches and issues with kite lines during times when windsurfers were at the Eventsite as well. I will make a post on this next week when I get home and figure out all of the details.

Jim Grady
CGKA President

tstansbury

Since 06 Jun 2006
649 Posts
Rowena and P.C
Addicted

PostThu May 01, 08 8:07 am     Reply with quote

is their any info on the new park going in will it have kiteing, windsurfing, swiming only?

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostThu May 01, 08 8:30 am     Reply with quote

I'm not positive, but I think the new beach is windsurfing backup for the event site, but is only swimming otherwise.

tstansbury

Since 06 Jun 2006
649 Posts
Rowena and P.C
Addicted

PostThu May 01, 08 8:32 am     Reply with quote

yeah I looked at the website for it and it only mentions kids water play area and picnic and flying model airplanes?

Bettyboarder

Since 18 Mar 2005
1823 Posts
PDX/ White Salmon
Mrs. Site Lackey

PostThu May 01, 08 8:47 am     Reply with quote

The park is going to be mostly for swimming/families to hang out. I believe there will be a small spot for the windsurfers to use but it's very small.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6549 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostThu May 01, 08 9:06 am     Reply with quote

CGKA wrote:
My friends at the Port of HR tell me that unfortunately the Committee voted unamiously to end kiteboarding at the Eventsite March 31st next year instead of April 30th. A variety of reasons were cited mostly revolving around unsafe launches and issues with kite lines during times when windsurfers were at the Eventsite as well.

That's a real bummer. Two steps back I'd say. Sad

shredjim

Since 07 Jun 2006
186 Posts

Stoked

PostSat May 03, 08 8:15 am     Reply with quote

[quote="pkh"]That's a real bummer. Two steps back I'd say. Sad[/quote
True pkh, but what is sad is that many people don't realize that their actions are being watched and used either for or against kiteboarder's ability to get additional access rights at locations we want to be able to ride ALL the time! We need more self-policing the people doing the wrong thing in regards to safety and etiquette if we want to continue to gain more and better access rights!

Rollo Tomasi

Since 17 Mar 2005
983 Posts

Attractive

PostSat May 03, 08 11:48 am     Reply with quote

shredjim wrote:
pkh wrote:
That's a real bummer. Two steps back I'd say.

True pkh, but what is sad is that many people don't realize that their actions are being watched and used either for or against kiteboarder's ability to get additional access rights at locations we want to be able to ride ALL the time! We need more self-policing the people doing the wrong thing in regards to safety and etiquette if we want to continue to gain more and better access rights!

Though I can't say I've been there every day I never saw an issue at event site this winter/spring, Jim. I wonder if an isolated incident was blown out of proportion and presented to the port to make this kind of decision. Kiters AND Windsurfers will never be 100% safe. I wonder if all sides of the stories are being aired? I've seen one antagonistic sailor who consistently aims directly at kiters with his rig. That is incredibly unsafe. Compare this to an issue with lines etc. Yet this behaviour doesn't warrant a restriction. Come on.. Where's the fairness? When sailors did come out this winter/spring they were very very small in number and rigged far upwind from the kiters. I had conversation with some in passing but none ever spoke of any issues.

We should make sure we have representation at the port meetings to address the inaccuracies. From what I saw kiters did a good job overall of self policing.

bookmyer

Since 23 Feb 2008
6 Posts

Kook

PostSat May 03, 08 12:53 pm     Reply with quote

could the 70k that CGWA recieved from Dougs Beach railroad settlement and donated to the HR port have anything do do it?

stringer

Since 31 Jul 2007
694 Posts
Chucktown
Flying Tomato

PostSat May 03, 08 1:31 pm     Reply with quote

I think Rollo hit the nail on the head.
Granted I only kited the event site a couple of times, the times I was there people seemed to be doing a good job of staying safe.
The only thing I saw was kiters jumping maybe too close to shore.
Most of the time there were probably 10-12+ kiters out and maybe one or two windsurfers, and both parties seemed not to interfere with each other.
It will be interesting to see what Jim has to say later when he finds out more.

I can respect not being able to use the event site when beginners show up (both kiting and windsurfing) but when the water is so cold, most people there are experienced.

mmac

Since 15 May 2005
93 Posts
SC

PostSat May 03, 08 1:36 pm     Reply with quote

CGKA wrote:
My friends at the Port of HR tell me that unfortunately the Committee voted unamiously to end kiteboarding at the Eventsite March 31st next year instead of April 30th. A variety of reasons were cited mostly revolving around unsafe launches and issues with kite lines during times when windsurfers were at the Eventsite as well. I will make a post on this next week when I get home and figure out all of the details.

Jim Grady
CGKA President

That's a big disappointment. I launched from the Event Site most windy days in April and also didn't notice any issues. Even on weekends there weren't many windsurfers. The few windsurfers stayed on the west end with the kiteboarders using the middle to east end of the Event Site. Since it appeared to be working well I had also hoped that things would be extended through May next year. As far as this sport has evolved we should at least be able to pump up our damn kites on the east end. We continue to get the shaft!

sherrybohn

Since 16 Jun 2006
71 Posts

PostSat May 03, 08 1:58 pm     Reply with quote

[quote="bookmyer"]could the 70k that CGWA recieved from Dougs Beach railroad settlement and donated to the HR port have anything do do it?[/quote]

CGWA donated money to the Waterfront Park/City of Hood River for a windsurfing access point at the new waterfront park NOT to the port.

There was a good amount of discussion regarding this subject. Some of the more "vocal" members of the waterfront recreation committee were pretty adament with regards safety issues, that the Event site is a "tricky" launch and the 08' season has been slow to start due to cold weather which is why there hasn't been any incidents.

This recommendation from the Waterfront Rec committee now goes to the port commission for approval

Ike

Since 12 Mar 2008
216 Posts
Central Oregon
Stoked

PostSat May 03, 08 2:16 pm     Reply with quote

sherrybohn wrote:

There was a good amount of discussion regarding this subject. Some of the more "vocal" members of the waterfront recreation committee were pretty adament with regards safety issues, that the Event site is a "tricky" launch and the 08' season has been slow to start due to cold weather which is why there hasn't been any incidents.

This recommendation from the Waterfront Rec committee now goes to the port commission for approval

So essentially they are basing their decision on limiting access not because there were problems with kiters, but that the lack of issues was because of the weather? Confused That makes a lot of sense Rolling Eyes

Rico

Since 13 Mar 2005
1219 Posts
Vancouver
Photographer

PostSat May 03, 08 4:32 pm    Event Site Reply with quote

sherrybohn wrote:

Those vocal members are just spreading FUD and uneducated assumptions. Kiteboaders and Windsurfers have co-existed in that little spot for along time.

bookmyer

Since 23 Feb 2008
6 Posts

Kook

PostSat May 03, 08 5:39 pm     Reply with quote

W/ the newly "purchased" access for WSfers @ the new waterfront park, shouldn't that alleviate the pressure on eventsite? at least for early season when there are no WSfers around?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: