Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Too Cold to Kite?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Joshiebaby

Since 14 Oct 2007
569 Posts
Vancouver, WA
Addicted

PostWed Nov 28, 07 1:06 pm    Too Cold to Kite? Reply with quote

I'm wondering how many people kite through the winter months and whether I would be stupid to give it ago. I got a lot of peoples take with the "Nov 23rd the end for me" post. It seems like the 100 rule, air temp + water temp >100 was the way a lot of folks were going but I but I'm wondering if it is doable.

I've got a 4:3 wetsuit and a 1.5 neoprene top. I was thinking that if I wore them together I might be okay. Of course take a person with me and wear booties, gloves and a hood...

Do people only go to the ocean this time of year or does Rooster have a winter crowd? Thanks!

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostWed Nov 28, 07 1:38 pm     Reply with quote

Really good question. Ocean is more reasonable - when the gorge is below 40 degree air temps (probably time to go ski or snowboard) - drysuit is better in the river not so safe in the ocean - your 4/3 with 1.5 top is a good setup for the ocean (I got the same thing with 4/3 and 2 mil NWS Kayak top)

Be smart - easy to get into trouble - ask the Dangler he had a tough 30 minutes in the water at Rooster this spring.

http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-3991.html&highlight=rooster

Spike

Since 13 May 2007
1414 Posts
Alameda
Spelling Expert

PostWed Nov 28, 07 2:28 pm     Reply with quote

Coastal water temps warmer in the winter?? doesn't really seem so according to this spread sheet:

http://www.nodc.noaa.gov/dsdt/cwtg/npac.html

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostWed Nov 28, 07 2:58 pm     Reply with quote

I think reasonably speaking at some point it is too cold to kite in the Gorge. Yes its possible to go out mid winter, yes there are maybe a couple of guys who will do it. But you are risking hypothermia and death (see Madison thread.) Is that worth it for mowing the lawn and a few jumps? Who really goes all out when its that cold?

Better to hit the Ocean. Water temps are usually in the 50's and air is too. That means the 100 degree rule still works.

Spike

Since 13 May 2007
1414 Posts
Alameda
Spelling Expert

PostWed Nov 28, 07 3:05 pm     Reply with quote

I just had an epiphany:
wear your shortie under/over your thick wetsuit.
I just tried it, between the two its a 6/5/4 wetsuit at least, maybe even 7/6/4. Plus the two different layer make it still easy to move around in it unlike a straight up 7mm suit that makes you walk like a penguin.

adelie-penguin.jpg 

stringer

Since 31 Jul 2007
694 Posts
Chucktown
Flying Tomato

PostWed Nov 28, 07 5:27 pm     Reply with quote

I agree with phil.
At a certain point even though it is possible to go out, there are better things to do.
I'm turning my focus to skate kiting. (building a kicker and modifying my trainer Twisted Evil )
We usually get a few east wind days each winter like last week that are cold, windy, and dry. Great for skating.
Plus the "secret marine drive skate spot" is very well lit at night.
Ahh the possibilities...

magicmaker

Since 29 Oct 2006
895 Posts
da Hood
Opinionated

PostThu Nov 29, 07 8:56 am     Reply with quote

i'm actually hoping to start long boarding to my place of work when it is dry and there is no snow on the roads. Only live ~8 minutes walk away so it could be a nice quick fix each morning and on my way back from lunch.

Sol-flyer

Since 21 Mar 2006
1280 Posts
Dude, where's my Bus?
Otto Mann

PostThu Nov 29, 07 9:03 am     Reply with quote

if you go out in a wetsuit thats not thick enuff, dont go get into trouble....stay near shore and give people plenty of info to where you are.
I've doubled-up with a shorty over my full suit,....it works but consticts the movment. Adds to floatation however.

for sure that the ocean does feel warmer in the winter, southerly currents/winds bring up warmer water. It feels warmer in the water than outside sometimes! dont be afraid to get salty

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2062 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostThu Nov 29, 07 10:17 am     Reply with quote

Spike wrote:
I just had an epiphany:
wear your shortie under/over your thick wetsuit.
I just tried it, between the two its a 6/5/4 wetsuit at least, maybe even 7/6/4. Plus the two different layer make it still easy to move around in it unlike a straight up 7mm suit that makes you walk like a penguin.

Spike: Sorry to steal your "thunder" but it has already been done. I used to put my 2 mm short under my 4/3. Yes it works, but mobility is not as good, takes longer to get suited up. Over the long run (if your doing it preseason and or in the ocean in the winter/fall/spring) you would be better off just getting a thinker wetsuit like a 6/4 hooded steamer. It will save you lots of time and effort that can be used kiting instead of gearing up.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostThu Nov 29, 07 10:43 am     Reply with quote

Only other issue with double layering wetsuits is the top layer will undoubtedly get stretched out. Once wetsuits are no longer form fitting the seals don't work as well and you'll get a lot more water inside which means they won't be as warm.

There's really no replacement for good cold weather gear.

magicmaker

Since 29 Oct 2006
895 Posts
da Hood
Opinionated

PostThu Nov 29, 07 11:01 am     Reply with quote

the only way i would go out in the gorge this time of year, is like those shots of gman the other day, wearing what looked to be a wetsuit underneath a dry suit Thumb's Up Thumb's Up Thumb's Up

that is definately the only way i'd feel comfortable in a drysuit, but i dunno if it is really necessary cause my ripcurl 6-5-4 is good down to about 45 degree water, i think, 50 degree water for sure; as long as i have glovies and booties.

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostThu Nov 29, 07 11:37 am     Reply with quote

I have had good luck with a 2 mil wind skin top under my 5/3. Nice and toasty.
That being said I am done for the season. So much other fun stuff to do during winter.

www.naishkites.com

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
698 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostThu Nov 29, 07 11:59 am     Reply with quote

the water temp at cascade locks is 47 degrees, it is the swim back to shore that kills ya!

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostThu Nov 29, 07 12:16 pm     Reply with quote

moondog wrote:
the water temp at cascade locks is 47 degrees, it is the swim back to shore that kills ya!

Really? That's it? Though it already feels fuckin' psycho cold (I guess mainly because of the air temp lately), just think when we get more mountain runoff and it drops another 10 degrees... We'll stop once it gets below 35! Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: