Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

slingshot T2 pictures anyone?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
magicmaker

Since 29 Oct 2006
895 Posts
da Hood
Opinionated

PostFri Mar 02, 07 9:05 pm    slingshot T2 pictures anyone? Reply with quote

I realize the wingtip says 11 which contradicts my earlier post that this is a 14m kite; I did however measure the kite and it is definately a 14m. I didn't really get any specifics today but this is probably pretty close to, if not, the final stage of prototype.

sorry the pictures kind of suck, but it was raining outside today, and i did not feel like taking the kite out of my garage and getting it/me wet.

pray to the wind gods for ridable conditions tomorrow

T2.jpg 
   T2_laying_down.jpg 
   T2_size_view.jpg 

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostFri Mar 02, 07 10:43 pm     Reply with quote

Looks sweet, but just curious, how did you measure it as a 14m kite? Are you saying it was mistagged, or SS just underrates the kite?

Thumb's Up

magicmaker

Since 29 Oct 2006
895 Posts
da Hood
Opinionated

PostSat Mar 03, 07 10:01 am    here is how i measured the kite Reply with quote

so first, i measured half the wingspan perpendicular to the center strut. It measured 133". Then i measured the center strut at 76", as you can see by the photo i did not measure it from tip to tip. I left a little room away from the tip of the leading edge to make it a conservative measurement. Also i did not count the material below perpendicular of the wingtip to compensate for that fact the kite is not a perfect rectangle, but it is pretty damn close laying down.

Anyway, if you do the math 133" x 76" in meters is 3.41025m x 1.9487m = 6.64555m squared for half the kite x 2 = 13.2911m. The next size down from the 14m is an 11m, so it cant be an 11m because it is much larger than that. Remember, these are just rough conservative measurements so they should be taken with a grain of salt. Please note, i am not a Slingshot employee, so what is written here is my own opinion.

Anyway, to answer your question about it being mistagged or underrated, I'm guessin that since the kites aren't in production yet, they haven't started mass producing the various panels with different numbers on them. i believe that the TURBO2 panel with the 11 on it was just used in the construction of this kite because that is what the kite manufacturer had at the time. Believe me, when i got home yesturday and pulled the kite out of the bag, and saw the 11, i was like WTF?

a couple of last two notes, the tag says the kite is a 14, and also the kite seems to take up more room in the kitepack than my 13m fuel; it seems like there is more material. Lastly, if you can't tell figuring out the size of this kite is rather important to me, since i'll be taking it to thailand where i'll need at least a 14m bow.

oh yea, i threw up the rest of the pictures i took this morning here http://w3.gorge.net/mm/

wingspan
 wingspan  measure_2 copy.jpg 
center strut
 center strut  measure_1 copy.jpg 
tag
 tag  tag.jpg 

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostSat Mar 03, 07 10:26 am     Reply with quote

Cool shit. I don't totally agree with the way you measured it, but like you said, I'll just take it lightly. haha! Wink

magicmaker

Since 29 Oct 2006
895 Posts
da Hood
Opinionated

PostSat Mar 03, 07 10:30 am     Reply with quote

it's pretty difficult to get an accurate measurement, cause with all teh struts and what not, it wont lay down perfectly flat, and the whole curved leading edge, and even with the kite laying down like it is, there is more material that is unaccounted for as you can see in teh wingspan measurement picture because the kite is not inflated and formed to its full on shape. if you have a better suggestion for measuring it, i'm all ears.

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostSat Mar 03, 07 10:45 am     Reply with quote

Sorry, I opened a "post reply" tab before you edited:

Not really, but since you're working more or less with a "triangle," I would have taken that into consideration. Wouldn't really want to measure as a 133 x 76" rectangle then multiply by 2, right?

EDITED: My grammar/wording sucks! Wink

Last edited by Kataku2k3 on Sat Mar 03, 07 1:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

magicmaker

Since 29 Oct 2006
895 Posts
da Hood
Opinionated

PostSat Mar 03, 07 11:04 am     Reply with quote

i hear what you are saying, but the problem is, the outermost panel isn't even close to a triangle; it is more like a quarter of a circle; and if you take into consideration the part below the measuring tape on the trailing edge, it makes it even closer to a square. and since i measured the center strut short, that is how i came to the conclusion of a rectangle estimation. The main point of my followup was that it has too much surface area / material to be an 11m so it must be a 14m.

sorry for the edit, i'll proof read my posts a little better Cool

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6549 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostSat Mar 03, 07 12:47 pm     Reply with quote

wouldn't you know what size it is if you got it from slingy? this isn't the one that got ripped off last fall at Rooster is it? Wink

magicmaker

Since 29 Oct 2006
895 Posts
da Hood
Opinionated

PostSat Mar 03, 07 12:52 pm     Reply with quote

pkh wrote:
wouldn't you know what size it is if you got it from slingy? this isn't the one that got ripped off last fall at Rooster is it? Wink

very funny pkh, i guess me fudging the serial # off the card does look suspicous? but seriously, i was just worried that the wrong kite got put in the wrong pack because the damned wingtip said 11.

I trust shy gave me the right kite. Maybe he'd like to chime in if he is reading this about the wingtip having an 11 on it?

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostSat Mar 03, 07 12:59 pm     Reply with quote

Tucker says the T2 14 he has right now is bigger than what you measured. Question

magicmaker

Since 29 Oct 2006
895 Posts
da Hood
Opinionated

PostSat Mar 03, 07 1:03 pm     Reply with quote

Kataku2k3 wrote:
Tucker says the T2 14 he has right now is bigger than what you measured. Question

UH OH! Shocked guess i'll have to call in and figure out wtf is going on. Does his wingtip have a 14 on it? what measurements did he take?

I see how my logic could be totally flawed now, if the area that i tried to overcompensate for was a total of 1 square meter, then that would put half of the kite down to 5.5m squared, which means i have an 11m kite Shocked

i sure hope not Mad hmm, shit, i hope the wrong kite didn't get put in the wrong bag, i wonder if his card says 11 for the size, that would probably mean the kites did get switched into the wrong bags Crying or Very sad

Last edited by magicmaker on Sat Mar 03, 07 1:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostSat Mar 03, 07 1:10 pm     Reply with quote

I know he's out running around now, and I haven't seen the kite, but I'm pretty sure it has 14 on the wingtip. Let's see if he can chime in with some numbers a little later...

Teague

Since 10 Jul 2005
114 Posts
Really Windy Places
Stoked

PostSat Mar 03, 07 3:25 pm     Reply with quote

Shocked Those manufacture-packer's must be drink'n on the job again! Twisted Evil

I better check my 11m now that you have me worried! Confused I'll let you know if its your 14m.

22 hours to Maui!!!!!!!!! Very Happy

T

shymac

Since 20 Jul 2005
919 Posts
Home Valley, Wa.
Bigfoot

PostMon Mar 05, 07 11:33 am     Reply with quote

Hey just to clarify

The sizing and the screening on the T2 are correct, it was just in the wrong bag/lable.

Bag confusion happens to the best of us. Rolling Eyes

Anyone get a chance to fly theirs yet?

Cheers

Teague

Since 10 Jul 2005
114 Posts
Really Windy Places
Stoked

PostMon Mar 05, 07 1:49 pm     Reply with quote

shymac wrote:

Anyone get a chance to fly theirs yet?

Cheers

I'm itching to real bad but not even a breath of wind here in Maui this week!!

Crying or Very sad

Sucks when you go on a kiting vacation and there is more wind back home! Whoever is on their way over here be sure and bring some wind with you. BamBam?? That means you buddy!

T

seattlekite.com

Since 21 Feb 2007
61 Posts
Seattle

PostTue Mar 06, 07 11:52 pm     Reply with quote

Teague, That sucks.......Maybe check those flights to La Ventana Rolling Eyes

Jason

I did fly the T2 in LV last month and really liked the kite. Super depower and jumped to the moon when the time was right. It jumps so much better than last years with out having to "lead" the kite back down into the window, it jumped more like the Fuel, hanging back and stalling perfectly. The ride was totally different with the sweet new bar that took abut a minute to get used to. I ordered up a bunch when I got home...

Jason@motionboardshop.com
www.motionboardshop.com
Slingshot-Best-Hyperflex-Mystic-Dakine...

Teague

Since 10 Jul 2005
114 Posts
Really Windy Places
Stoked

PostFri Mar 09, 07 9:41 am     Reply with quote

seattlekite.com wrote:
Teague, That sucks.......Maybe check those flights to La Ventana Rolling Eyes

Jason

I did fly the T2 in LV last month and really liked the kite. Super depower and jumped to the moon when the time was right. It jumps so much better than last years with out having to "lead" the kite back down into the window, it jumped more like the Fuel, hanging back and stalling perfectly. The ride was totally different with the sweet new bar that took abut a minute to get used to. I ordered up a bunch when I got home...

Kim and I were tossing around the idea of flying to Vietnam from here. Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: