Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

In town for 2 days looking for good kiting beach +folks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
rolla_rage

Since 05 Aug 2015
11 Posts
SF Bay Area

PostWed Aug 05, 15 3:19 pm    In town for 2 days looking for good kiting beach +folks Reply with quote

Hello, I hope this is in the right section, there didn't appear to be many.

Anyway, once a Portland native I've been living in Bay Area for two years and decided to pick up kiteboarding. I'm in Portland today through Saturday and would like to get in some good riding.

I'm an intermediate. No probs staying upwind, doing some jumping, can self-rescue, etc. I'm aware of how tides currents affect riding and that a buddy system is prob the wisest thing to do, especially in an unfamiliar place.

A friend with some experience up here suggested Stevenson (despite somewhat sketchy launch) over Hood River, also Sauvie (although forecast looks weak) and possibly Jones. I'd also like to ride in some surf (Manzanita or North Shore maybe ?). My knowledge is limited to this and a bit I've gleaned from Googling.

If anyone is headed to a good spot tomorrow (Thursday 8/6) or Friday I'd be down for meeting up or possibly car pooling from PDX. Maybe PM me your number? I'm male 30 something, non-creeper Smile. I brought my 7m and 11m.

If you can't make it out then maybe a quick suggestion as to where I might have the best chances of not being alone, without wind or otherwise setup for a not so fun day.

I'd be happy to return the favor of you decide to head to SF Bay Area.

Thanks,
Justin

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2062 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostWed Aug 05, 15 4:03 pm     Reply with quote

forecasted to be 10-15 mph at Manzo on the coast for Friday which usually translates to a 9m and a surfboard for me.

SI seems to be firing right now, but a 11m probably won't cut it.

rolla_rage

Since 05 Aug 2015
11 Posts
SF Bay Area

PostThu Aug 06, 15 11:25 pm    Monzo!!! Reply with quote

Ended up opting for Manzanita and it was AWESOME! I was a little over-powered on my 11m. After kiting in the bay I forgot how much I like the surf! Boosting off and over waves is like nothing else. Had a great time and met some friendly peeps; you know who you are, thanks for chatting me up, the beta and the beer.

Hoping Jones is blowing tomorrow...

-J

rolla_rage

Since 05 Aug 2015
11 Posts
SF Bay Area

PostFri Aug 14, 15 11:26 am     Reply with quote

BTW, I ended up at Jones on Friday and Hood River on Saturday. Had a great time at both.

There were a half dozen people out around 2:30pm at Jones. I flew my 11 and as the afternoon wore on was way overpowered while on the other side of the island in Nuclear Alley, way fun tho woot! Some flatter water up near the island and some rollers out in the channel.

Hood River was swamped with people but it has such a sweet family/hang around all day atmosphere. Packing up on the grass is nice and fish tacos and cold drink right there too, can't beat that!

Thanks OR for a great weekend!
-J

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: