Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

More on safety: STARBOARD has right of way and more
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
30knotwind

Since 20 Apr 2012
36 Posts
White Salmon, WA

PostFri Aug 08, 14 11:12 am    More on safety: STARBOARD has right of way and more Reply with quote

Note: If your right arm is leading, you are on Starboard tack.

I am a windsurfer, I have been too lazy to take kiting lessons yet, I am not a hater, I love to see people smiling on the water, I love the Gorge, the Coast and everyone in the PNW!

That said, I had four navigation incidents with kiters last week, all between the Hook and the hatchery at the Hatchery, all within 30 minutes.

One of the kiters cut my thumb with his line after overtaking me and throwing an aerial 20 feet in front, also entangled my sail an knocked me down. The other incidents were all right of way ignorance or petulance that they all acknowledged later the same day. Only one was a beginner, but she had enough control to follow the Starboard rule because she fell off the wind when I called starboard, probably a windsurfer learning to kite.
Thanks, be safe,
Chris

PLEASE FOLLOW THESE RULES AND WE WILL ALL BE SAFE!!!
http://www.gosailing.info/Navigation%20Rules.htm
http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=navRulesContent#rule8
http://sailing.about.com/od/lawsregulations/ss/Rules-Of-The-Road-For-Sailboats.htm

wind_safety.png 

Last edited by 30knotwind on Fri Aug 08, 14 11:36 am; edited 1 time in total

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostFri Aug 08, 14 11:23 am     Reply with quote

Starboard has been cancelled !

But seriously isn't everyone so stoned these days in White Salmon - no one can even remember how to rig all those lines

LARBOARD !!!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
698 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostFri Aug 08, 14 11:57 am     Reply with quote

I have seen the same issue with fellow kiters on the river this summer. To keep it simple the kiter heading toward Oregon has the right of way. Lots of new people out there on the crowded weekends just plowing staight ahead. Should be part of the lesson syllabus.

dangler

Since 26 Feb 2006
1744 Posts
WINDY SPOTS
XTreme Poster

PostFri Aug 08, 14 12:01 pm    Starboard rule Reply with quote

Windsurfers know the rules of the road as well as kiters, which is to say, Not At ALL!!

Ask 9 out of 10 about the starboard stand on vessel (maintain steady course and speed to allow port vessel to change course)...

and they will tell you the Starboard vessel can do whatever the fuck they want because they are on Starboard!

The number one rule to follow is AVOID A COLLISION. If that means losing ground to allow that other craft a lot of room, so be it. You will make up that lost ground with the karma you gain!

AND QUIT PARKING UR DANG GEAR ON THE BUOYS!!!!!

ShiverMeTimbers

Since 26 Feb 2013
381 Posts
Gig Harbor
Obsessed

PostFri Aug 08, 14 12:02 pm     Reply with quote

I was just talking this week with a friend about Right-of-Way issues and how no kiters seem to have a clue (clew? haha).

ohanakai

Since 30 May 2010
16 Posts

PostFri Aug 08, 14 6:32 pm     Reply with quote

This is so Basic it boggles the mind...... starboard always has right of way..... Learn it... Live it... Its the Law.... Blah blah blah, always avoid collisions, be polite etc. but ultimately starboard has the right of way... Come on people its not rocket science if this is too difficult to understand maybe you should find another pass time, like figuring out where bark comes from
Laughing Laughing

K4L

Since 19 Jan 2009
483 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Aug 08, 14 6:44 pm     Reply with quote

ohanakai wrote:
This is so Basic it boggles the mind...... starboard always has right of way..... Learn it... Live it... Its the Law.... Blah blah blah, always avoid collisions, be polite etc. but ultimately starboard has the right of way... Come on people its not rocket science if this is too difficult to understand maybe you should find another pass time, like figuring out where bark comes from
Laughing Laughing

Bwaahahahaaaaha. Not so fast chump. Try telling that to a barge😊

There are lots of technical rules but basic rule for everyone regardless of "right of way" is just avoid the collision and share the stoke👍

Screenshot_2014-08-08-19-39-31.png
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Screenshot_2014-08-08-19-39-31.png
 Filesize:  405.89 KB
 Downloaded:  387 Time(s)
 Note:  Use Pixlr to resize images to lower than 1024x768 resolution so they show up inline.

Screenshot_2014-08-08-19-40-07.png
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Screenshot_2014-08-08-19-40-07.png
 Filesize:  635.53 KB
 Downloaded:  289 Time(s)
 Note:  Use Pixlr to resize images to lower than 1024x768 resolution so they show up inline.

Screenshot_2014-08-08-19-40-24.png
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Screenshot_2014-08-08-19-40-24.png
 Filesize:  560.19 KB
 Downloaded:  296 Time(s)

Last edited by K4L on Fri Aug 08, 14 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

consumer

Since 28 Nov 2010
406 Posts
banned
Obsessed

PostFri Aug 08, 14 6:49 pm     Reply with quote

I always give right of way. I'm sure an argument could be made about how that could be confusing. In practice though, it is more effective than assuming someone is going to give me right-of-way on a starboard tack.

JT

Since 04 Jun 2007
39 Posts

PostFri Aug 08, 14 9:21 pm     Reply with quote

If you see someone on a wave, ripping down-wind. Stay out of the way.
If you just started kiting, have never surfed, windsurfed, or sailed, chances are you're in the way. If you don't live/ride within a 30 mile radius of where you're complaining about the behavior of others, please show up, set an example of of the behavior of that which you hope to encounter and basically stfu.... and bring extra beer. It's easy.

stuffnthings

Since 28 Aug 2013
133 Posts
Colorado
Stoked

PostSat Aug 09, 14 8:36 am     Reply with quote

Just curious, do kite schools teach this? I ask because I'm a self tonight kiter and have never boated before so I've never heard of or been informed of these rules before this thread. I tend to more often than not yield the right of way to the other party. If this isn't tonight by kite schools and a kiter has no boating background why would they know any of this? Why would they think to search out this info.

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostSat Aug 09, 14 8:54 am     Reply with quote

I took 3 lessons and then just learned independently, but I definitely learned the right-of-way rules I think in the first lesson. It's part of the IKO curriculum too:

https://www.ikointl.com/content/kiteboarder-level-2-course-detail

It seems like most people I encounter on the water yield to starboard tack. The biggest challenge I think is beginners with minimal kite control or struggling to stay up wind. Also, sometimes people trying to adhere to surf rules (rider actively on a wave or swell had right of way) confuses the issue. If you are an intermediate to advanced kiteboarder it's probably best to just be ready to yield or go downwind regardless of the rules.

LVDWD

Since 04 May 2009
103 Posts

Stoked

PostSat Aug 09, 14 11:17 am     Reply with quote

Also might be good to add the following:

Experience kiter should always give way to beginners regardless of tack. Move away from them and make this clear to them so they know you are not going to be in there way by veering well away or by turning around.

When on starboard tack and windsurfers on the opposite tack coming towards you and its clear that you would pass close to them give them right of way so that they are not going under your lines. Signal that you are going to do this by moving downwind of them markedly.

EasyDuzzit

Since 29 Jul 2013
22 Posts
Florence

PostSat Aug 09, 14 8:20 pm     Reply with quote

From an old sailor, human power (swimmers, paddlers, surfers) trumps sail power (including kites, I reckon), sail power trumps motor power. A vessel limited in maneuverability (barge) trumps other vessels regardless of propulsion source. In the event two sailing vessels/wind boards/kites are crossing on different tacks, starboard tack trumps port tack. On same tack, leeward vessel trumps windward. Upon passing, make your intentions known and the vessel being passed has the right of way, regardless of windward/leeward.

Power vessels meeting head on in a restricted waterway pass port to port (like our highways).

But the cardinal rule for anyone on the water is to do all you can to avoid collision/harm.

This info would be great for an illustrated sign at the Event Site.

its_kite:30

Since 29 May 2009
108 Posts
White Salmon/ Beaverton
Stoked

PostSat Aug 09, 14 11:15 pm     Reply with quote

You guys make this way too hard. The dude with the big eyes, marginal kite control, tea bagging when others get near, that dude gets right of way. At some point I should learn or care about right of way but for now I just get out of the way of whom ever, I mean where am I going really, to the Wash side and back to the Ore side.
A lot of this right of way sounds like the scene out of our favorite spy movie.

austin-powers-steamroller.jpg 

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostSun Aug 10, 14 2:22 am     Reply with quote

Some good sentiment in this thread...

Also don't forget the greater douchebag theory

https://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/lectronicday.lasso?date=2008-10-08#.U-dFKGK9KSM

image.jpg 

BigR

Since 05 Jul 2005
372 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostSun Aug 10, 14 3:13 am     Reply with quote

hasn't The Law of Maximum Displacement been known for awhile?

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostSun Aug 10, 14 11:14 am     Reply with quote

BigR wrote:
hasn't The Law of Maximum Displacement been known for awhile?

Law of gross tonnage

Common sense - Dangler nails it - always surprised folks like to play chicken with barges, sailboats, powerboats - really no need to stress boaters out by getting too close

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: