Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Current ways to minimize flight fees with kite gear?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
beej

Since 16 Jul 2010
180 Posts

Stoked

PostTue Mar 19, 13 3:37 pm    Current ways to minimize flight fees with kite gear? Reply with quote

Are there any ways to avoid or minimize fees anymore?

I was told by someone that PDX pretty much knows to look for "golf bags"... Is that true?

I'm planning on taking equipment with me on trips now, but I don't know the current lay of the land...

I mostly fly Delta, Alaska or Jetblue if that makes any difference.

jblum

Since 13 Jul 2008
305 Posts
The Gorge
Obsessed

PostTue Mar 19, 13 4:28 pm    United flight today Reply with quote

A friend flew united today with a "golf bag" with a kite and board, and a Dakine snowboard bag longer than 62". Was charged $25 for one and $35 for other, per normal bagage fee schedule.

Bottom line: It doesn't matter what you bring, its a roll of the dice. Don't be a dick, smile and be nice. Maybe you'll get off cheap. Or maybe not.

My best tactic (I fly a lot with kite gear) is to go online and pay the standard bag fee ahead of time. Then show up with your bags and say you've already paid. I've NEVER been upcharged the difference. Most of the time they check your reservation, print the bag tags and put them on your bag. MUST weigh under 50lbs; if you blow that you'll pay the $100 no matter what.

blancoh2o

Since 15 Mar 2005
1153 Posts
Oregon
Phishy

PostTue Mar 19, 13 5:32 pm     Reply with quote

Just check the airline website and read their policies. Some specify kiteboard gear specifically.

I Fedex my gear ahead of time and then I avoid all the hassles of traveling with it.

https://kb4c.rallyup.com/kb4c/286ef9/Member

Blazeheliski

Since 30 Mar 2011
655 Posts
Mosier
Addicted

PostTue Mar 19, 13 7:53 pm     Reply with quote

Alaska just charges $25 for all checked baggage. Doesn't matter what is in it. Just need to be within size and weight restrictions.

jerp

Since 22 Feb 2013
450 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Mar 19, 13 8:07 pm     Reply with quote

I just went to Tulum with American Airlines and didn’t get charged with my NSI golf bag. When I brought the bag to the oversized bag drop the TSA guy did figure out it wasn’t golf stuff but he had no issue when I was honest with him. In Nov of last year I flew to Ireland with United and it also worked but did get questioned heavily in Dublin coming back.

ShiverMeTimbers

Since 26 Feb 2013
381 Posts
Gig Harbor
Obsessed

PostTue Mar 19, 13 9:12 pm     Reply with quote

man, compared to travelling with surfboards, it should be easy to slip kiteboard equipment through. lie. lie a lot. f excess baggage fees!

Bettyboarder

Since 18 Mar 2005
1823 Posts
PDX/ White Salmon
Mrs. Site Lackey

PostTue Mar 19, 13 9:34 pm     Reply with quote

Seems like since they started charging everyone for bags our kitebags have been no problem to travel with. $35 the 1st bag usually and then $25 after....even our surfboard last time was like $50 compared to $100 that it used to be

broadbandito

Since 26 Apr 2005
342 Posts
CSO headwaters
WheatHead

PostWed Mar 20, 13 7:39 am     Reply with quote

The best workaround I know of is to "pick a horse and ride it" meaning try to fly one airline and get status (which usually eliminates/reduces bag fees), and/or check into your chosen airline's credit card which sometimes offer great flying benefits (such as first bag free). Southwest still has a very friendly checked bag policy.

Campbell

Since 07 Sep 2008
409 Posts
Camas, WA
Obsessed

PostWed Mar 20, 13 9:15 am     Reply with quote

I've flown quite a bit in the last couple years and I haven't been charged extra on any flight. I attribute a large part of that to the fact that I make sure I'm not over the 50lb limit. Consider carrying a bar or two in your carry-on or checked luggage and it helps a lot.

BeerKite

Since 29 Mar 2011
471 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Mar 20, 13 10:40 am     Reply with quote

Curbside check-in when it's available can be good way too. I would have a $20 bill in your hand when your asking about checking your baggage.

achen

Since 03 Apr 2012
39 Posts

PostWed Mar 20, 13 10:57 am     Reply with quote

I vacuum pack my kites and just put them into a regular suitcase. Two kites actually take very little space with the air taken out of the bag. One tip, if you put them into the suitcase first and then vacuum the air out, the kite will take on the shape of the luggage, minimizing wasted space.

Im planning to take fins, straps off the board then just wrapping it in cardboard to minimize the size.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostWed Mar 20, 13 10:59 am     Reply with quote

The whole charging for checked baggage has really worked in kiteboarders favor... instead of getting hit with a $100 each way for an oversize bag you pay $35 or at the worst $50 for a full surfboard bag (Alaska Airlines.)

Just keep it under 50lbs and your good to go.

bwd

Since 04 Aug 2007
385 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Mar 20, 13 11:26 am     Reply with quote

unless you are doomed to fly usairways, then it's like $200!
I am considering packing a jigsaw and sandpaper instead & slapping together a quick and cheap ply board, skim or skate style. Expecting light wind anyway....

caps

Since 23 Dec 2010
343 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Mar 20, 13 1:17 pm     Reply with quote

Keep it under 50 and don't worry about it. If you're flying to killer wind destinations, you're more likely to get charged on the return with boards. Consider it the price of admission. I fly with a 6 foot bag and rarely pay more than the regular bag fee. Cheers.

bulae99

Since 12 Jul 2006
1691 Posts

I give out bad advice.

PostWed Mar 20, 13 4:59 pm    Rent a board. Reply with quote

If you travel anywhere the boards are what kill ya. I'm in La Ventana and I borrowed a board, but if I had rent I'd do it for sure. Rental is like $35 or $50 a day and I'm only here for 7 days so $350 if I kite every day. That compared to $100 bones to ship and then you may not get wind, then back for $100 more bucks.

Total damage in a worse case scenario you still save a bit of money and you don't have to haul it around.

cheers,
Ron

achen

Since 03 Apr 2012
39 Posts

PostWed Mar 20, 13 5:34 pm     Reply with quote

neil pryde in maui rents boards for 20/day to 185 for 2 weeks (13/day)

landfilllonnie

Since 01 Mar 2008
43 Posts
Lincoln City, Or

PostThu Mar 21, 13 1:01 pm    Re: United flight today Reply with quote

jblum wrote:
Bottom line: It doesn't matter what you bring, its a roll of the dice. Don't be a dick, smile and be nice. Maybe you'll get off cheap. Or maybe not.

My best tactic (I fly a lot with kite gear) is to go online and pay the standard bag fee ahead of time. Then show up with your bags and say you've already paid. I've NEVER been upcharged the difference. Most of the time they check your reservation, print the bag tags and put them on your bag. MUST weigh under 50lbs; if you blow that you'll pay the $100 no matter what.

I'd have to say that I agree with this. If the airline attendant decides to follow the rules, you're paying, but getting it done a head of time and having a great attitude gives you the best shot!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: