Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

SPI Tips for Being a Winter Texan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
melokitegirl

Since 28 Oct 2008
396 Posts
Where the wind blows
Obsessed

PostFri Nov 16, 12 6:13 am    SPI Tips for Being a Winter Texan Reply with quote

First Season here in SPI for the whole winter and thought I would share things as I go along...first of all the sand. Super fine and that's why the color of the water is not so pretty when the water is churning. The Ocean is Caribbean Blue in the summer - no wind. With the fine fine sand and the moisture on your items overnight creates serious RUST. Talked to a long time mechanic here today and got the skinny. He said to cover your tires every night because the combo of salt, sand, dew will eat the edges of your rims and basically will disintegrate your tires. It's all the little things that get eaten also...screws, etc. He also mentioned brake rotors. He siad that you will be driving along ans SNAP! No brakes. I'm taking my Travel Trailer off the Island to store so it doesn't get ruined. Also garaging my truck and buying a beat P.O.S. car to drive around in. The mechanic (DAN - South Shore Automotive) said to buy a sprinkler and put it under your car and leave it on for 10 minutes, pull to middle - another 10 minutes - etc. Do this often. Not sure if any of you know Eugene, but he's been an Island regular for many years and rides his bike to the flats with a trailer for his gear. He said to take your bike tires off the rims coat with LP3 (http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/motorcycle-chain-lube/liquid-performance-chain-lube/) AND basically anything that is metal. This will preserve your bike.

I heard about this rust situation, but until the last Northern blow and my driveway had 2 inches of sand just like snow - Now I really "Get it". Gotta say though that a leaf blower is a lot easier than shoveling - so all is well.

Stay tuned for more tips and tricks as I learn them....

Loving the Island,

Mel

PS. Forgot to mention how great the social life is here. Long time locals and kiters, super friendly and welcoming. Serious fun! Been out almost every night...must sleep.

jackZ

Since 13 Apr 2008
355 Posts
Devon Alberta ca.
Obsessed

PostFri Nov 16, 12 4:17 pm     Reply with quote

Hi ,
Good info . I'd like to add to it .
You can use vaseline for coating exposed chrome etc. Put a light film on by using a rag dobbed in vas. and wiping all the areas you want protected .
South Padre IS awesome ! Very Happy
JackZ

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1257 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostMon Nov 19, 12 6:21 pm     Reply with quote

Mel, glad you're having fun down there! Rust, property taxes, and flood insurance were three reasons I didn't buy down there when I looked in the late `90's. Wish I could be there as I hear the wind has been good (though maybe just friends rubbing it in).

And if there's anyone who can tell you how to make things last and stretch your dollar, it's Eugene... Smile

Pete

tonyb

Since 09 Oct 2006
973 Posts
Stevenson in the summer & SPI in the winter
Bolstad Clan

PostTue Nov 20, 12 6:52 am     Reply with quote

Here's the no wind late afternoon tip:

SUP for an hour, rinse. Put on clean board shorts and t-shirt. Get a bike, ride over to one of the bay side bars for sunset cocktails, chips and guacamole. Hang with friends and watch the sun set across the Laguna Madre. Listen to Elvis or Jimmy or whoever is playing for an hour or so. Ride home, swim in the pool, soak in the hot tub, lay in the hammock, call it a night. Smile

Tony

OG

Since 07 Jun 2011
537 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Nov 20, 12 4:13 pm     Reply with quote

tonyb wrote:
Here's the no wind late afternoon tip:

SUP for an hour, rinse. Put on clean board shorts and t-shirt. Get a bike, ride over to one of the bay side bars for sunset cocktails, chips and guacamole. Hang with friends and watch the sun set across the Laguna Madre. Listen to Elvis or Jimmy or whoever is playing for an hour or so. Ride home, swim in the pool, soak in the hot tub, lay in the hammock, call it a night. Smile

Tony

Man, that sounds nice. Im thinking i might need to build an arc pretty soon to deal with the conditions out here

melokitegirl

Since 28 Oct 2008
396 Posts
Where the wind blows
Obsessed

PostWed Nov 21, 12 5:28 am     Reply with quote

Nice, Tony! Going for a bike ride this morning....

Rust: It's kind of fun not having a nice car on the Island. No pretention, just something that runs. I'd love to get my hands on an old International. But the Bolstads are doing it the best(ha ha - get it?) - they have a smaller commuter bus. Thinking about getting one of those myself if I make a commitment here.

Taxes: Yeah, they are really really high. However, if you not going to be here in the summer - rent out your space and that should more than cover it and maybe even a lot of your mortgage also.

Things to do: My dad sent me down with his fishing poles. Got them all rigged up yesterday and looking forward to trying to catch dinner. Should be interesting as I have never caught a fish in my life, let alone deal with one if I do. DOH!

Eugene: What a character. Smile

melokitegirl

Since 28 Oct 2008
396 Posts
Where the wind blows
Obsessed

PostWed Nov 21, 12 5:29 am     Reply with quote

Nice, Tony! Going for a bike ride this morning....

Pete,
Rust: It's kind of fun not having a nice car on the Island. No pretention, just something that runs. I'd love to get my hands on an old International. But the Bolstads are doing it the best(ha ha - get it?) - they have a smaller commuter bus. Thinking about getting one of those myself if I make a commitment here.

Taxes: Yeah, they are really really high. However, if you not going to be here in the summer - rent out your space and that should more than cover it and maybe even a lot of your mortgage also.

Things to do: My dad sent me down with his fishing poles. Got them all rigged up yesterday and looking forward to trying to catch dinner. Should be interesting as I have never caught a fish in my life, let alone deal with one if I do. DOH!

Eugene: What a character. Smile

melokitegirl

Since 28 Oct 2008
396 Posts
Where the wind blows
Obsessed

PostMon Nov 26, 12 6:22 pm    Lodging Reply with quote

Found this place in Port Isabel. It's called Long Island. Not kidding. A community of small cottages, Rv's with a pool, par 3 golf & a rec center. They even have their own post office. SUPER cheap place to stay. Renting cottages out for $200 a week. Monthly rates about $700. They advertise higher rates, but when you go in, you go to the bulletin board to find the deals. Getting in is a little interesting. Gave them my drivers License, car insurance card, car plate number and a $20 bill to hold until I came back out to get it. All gated. I thought it was pretty neat. No privacy whatsoever, but I'm thinking of buying a space there. Anywhere from 40k to $200k, depending on where & what. Waterfront with boat lifts available, RV flats w/ hook-ups or cottages. Minimal commitment before spending $ on a real house with mega taxes. A nice option. Let me know if you are intereseted by PMing me. I met the manager at Thanksgiving dinner at a friends and can give you his info.

http://www.longislandvillage.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: