Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

5 line kite question regarding going upwind

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
mikie

Since 06 Nov 2011
21 Posts

PostTue Dec 20, 11 8:50 pm    5 line kite question regarding going upwind Reply with quote

Been cramming all the information into my pea brain before I take my lessons in 2 weeks and I have one more question for you all.

Have been studying alot about going upwind and I keep coming across this one statement and hoping someone can come up with a good answere, because I will be taking my 2 North Rebels along with me. Here it is: "But....to ride upwind, the best thing is to have a 4 line kite which can be sheeted out at the edge of the window. The kite will produce lift more in your direction of travel, making it easier to point upwind". I understand the point, except using a 4 line kite.

Thanks in advance.

kenja

Since 19 Jun 2008
179 Posts

Stoked

PostTue Dec 20, 11 9:43 pm     Reply with quote

The 5th line has no impact on staying up wind. Maybe you are reading an article fro
2000 when people still used 2 line kites... The Rebels are awesome kites for staying upwind. They ride pretty far forward in the window. Staying up wind is 95% rider and 5% kite, especially when you are a beginner.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1477 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostWed Dec 21, 11 10:00 am     Reply with quote

You are overthinking the whole staying upwind issue.
It's really quite easy.....
You steer the board with your feet..... steer the board into the wind until you stall..... then adjust slightly off the wind and there you have it..... you're now going upwind.

WINDUDE

Since 10 Jun 2010
558 Posts
GORGE!
Addicted

PostWed Dec 21, 11 10:34 am     Reply with quote

yeah, just worry about flying the kite properly during your lesson, the rest will come naturally

HRnico

Since 22 Mar 2008
261 Posts
Da Hood
Obsessed

PostWed Dec 21, 11 12:08 pm     Reply with quote

Gotto have wind, to stay up wind.

Hein

Since 08 Mar 2005
1315 Posts

Possessed

PostThu Dec 22, 11 9:01 am     Reply with quote

this is good practice for going upwind:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: