Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Liquid Force Proof 161

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
KeyserSoze

Since 01 Jan 2010
17 Posts
Calgary, AB

PostMon Jul 11, 11 2:38 pm    Liquid Force Proof 161 Reply with quote

Has anyone here used this board? How does it compare to the spleene door or flydoor for lightwind performance? How is it for a beginner board?

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostMon Jul 11, 11 3:02 pm     Reply with quote

Proof 161 can be a good beginner board for a taller or heavier person, but will likely not compare with a Spleene Door (The Liquid Force Lowrider would be a more comparable board with the Spleene, except the LF has bottom shape and more pop for boosting in lightwinds).
www.Purestokesports.com

Kiwi B

Since 26 May 2011
8 Posts
Yelm, WA
Kook

PostMon Jul 11, 11 5:16 pm     Reply with quote

I have the 2011 Spleen 159. I am impressed with its performance and really enjoy it out on the water. I have not riden the proof so I cannot give a comparison. The only posible downside is the color black, could be harder to see in dark waters.

Macboy

Since 28 May 2011
32 Posts
Edmonton, AB, Canada

PostMon Jul 11, 11 5:54 pm     Reply with quote

My Proof 151 has a LOT of rocker compared to my Flydoor M. That, and it's got very curved rails compared to the Flydoor. If you're looking for a lightwind beginner board I'd steer clear of the Proof and look to the Doors, wings etc. You will want to find a flatter, more square board if I'm right in my thinking. I fell for the 151 because it was cheaper than most others and it was one of the few I could get local, new retail. I bought it from a wake/ski place that carried LF wakeboards so I talked to the manager and they were able to order my board and straps.

mschulz

Since 29 May 2007
530 Posts
Reno, NV
Addicted

PostMon Jul 11, 11 7:27 pm     Reply with quote

And if you are set on Liquid Force - I bought the WLF 145 and loved it in the light wind. It is Way better than my proof 151 that I learned on. Others have liked them as well. Good luck.

http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-8573-0-asc-0.html

Wanna-Go

Since 14 Sep 2009
95 Posts
Central, Wa

PostTue Jul 12, 11 9:33 am     Reply with quote

I have not rode on a spleene or any other lightwind specific board but I do have a proof 161. I got it when I was a beginner to help get up on the board and learn to ride. It worked great and I still have it. I am halfway through my 2nd season and still haven't lost a board knock on wood. I replaced the proof with a mako king and like that much better but way more money too. So if you are just starting out and looking for a 1st board to learn on the proof is great since it did just what I was lookin for even tho its a little planky.

scottman

Since 08 Jun 2007
149 Posts
hillsboro
Stoked

PostWed Jul 13, 11 10:38 am     Reply with quote

The large rocker in the proof makes it a very easy board to ride. It goes thru chop well due to narrow tip (compared to lightwind board). But all that extra rocker creates too much drag for lightwind. So I would estimate your wind range for that board is around 15 to 20mph, basically your 13m kite. Below 15mph too much drag and you go downwind. Above 20mph the board flattens out and you do not go upwind as well as say a 138TT.

A lightwind board rides like a lunch tray. It takes more skill. A lightwind board has no rocker and a square tip/tail

KeyserSoze

Since 01 Jan 2010
17 Posts
Calgary, AB

PostWed Jul 13, 11 12:25 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I think the proof is probably not the right board as I also have a 144 Jimmy Lewis model three so I am starting to build a door from some plywood and some fibreglass that I bought for ski building. Hopefully it goes well.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: