Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

(South) Bay Area kite info?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1257 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostTue Dec 16, 08 2:58 pm    (South) Bay Area kite info? Reply with quote

Can any Bay Area people tell me about Lexington Reservoir? I'll be working really close to here for a while and it looks like a convenient after-work spot. Also do people kite in Palo Alto or is it prohibited because of the nearby airport? I windsurfed there aeons ago and it was convenient enough when the tide was right. (I've windsurfed at Third, Coyote, Hotels, Oyster Point, Candlestick, Crissy, and the coast and delta so I already know about those places). Any other nearby watering holes I should learn about for Silicone Valley?

Also, is there a decent kiting blog for that area? (Obviously won't be as cool as this one, but might help me gain some local insight for when I'm down there). And yes Phil, I promise to splay an NWKite sticker across the rear window of my rental car...

melokitegirl

Since 28 Oct 2008
396 Posts
Where the wind blows
Obsessed

PostTue Dec 16, 08 3:54 pm     Reply with quote

I'm not sure about the" South " Bay area, but there is bayareakiteboarding.com It's pretty informative. Put out a message on their forum and see what happens.

Hope that helps.

cosmodog

Since 06 Oct 2005
201 Posts

Stoked

PostTue Dec 16, 08 4:30 pm     Reply with quote

You can kite Lexington, but it is gusty and does not blow often.
No kiting in Palo Alto (airport), I hear you can kite near the Dunbarton bridge but it doesnt sound like a great launch. Kiting is a bit sketch at Coyote (power lines, swimming area, and poor down wind options). Not sure its allowed at Oyster (airport) and off shore gusty winds at Candle Stick. Decent kiting spots are: 3rd, Crissy, Ocean Beach, HMB, Gazos, Waddel, Scotts, and Sherman. The upper reservoir at San Luis can work (launch depends on water level).
We have been getting some decent days on the coast in Nov and Dec. Very Happy

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1257 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostTue Dec 16, 08 5:00 pm     Reply with quote

Muchas gracias folks! I checked out that site and the section on locations is quite informative. The last time I did a job down there was in '97 and drove over highway 17 a few times but traffic was a nightmare and I'd notice whitecaps on that reservoir. Certainly doesn't look like a destination but may satisfy the jones in a time pinch. I suspect I'll mainly be at Tird Ave when I can.

Have fun on the coast and avoid big fish!

Too bad you're missing all the ice capades... Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: