Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Safety related info, for sticky forum note, and pdf

previous topic :: next topic  
Blue

Since 03 Jul 2007
469 Posts
I used to be
Obsessed

PostMon Jul 21, 08 9:12 pm    Safety related info, for sticky forum note, and pdf Reply with quote

I had an idea of putting together safety related info brochure that would help newcomers in joining kiteboarding community. Forrest recently posted concerns about the gear that might end up in hands of uninitiated. Two things somewhat came together for me. Since I had some very rough outline ready, I decided to put together this brochure for comments and collaborative editing. Please remember, this is a very rough draft, more illustration of the concept than ready product.

It needs work on text, both content and language.

Gear section needs to be expanded.

I inserted there my own photos for illustration purpose only, some of recent work of our photographers would be much more appropriate. I didn't want to use stuff they posted on the web in respect to the copyright.

Graphic outline is quick and dirty. Needs lots more work.

When finished, this brochure could be used as a sticky on nwkite forum, and as a handout at the boot etc.

My goal is to present this product at the CGKA meeting for the approval and further disposition.

Comments? Helpers? Naysayers?

Mark

http://lucidcolor.com/pub/draft.pdf

Last edited by Blue on Tue Jul 22, 08 6:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostMon Jul 21, 08 9:34 pm     Reply with quote

Looking good so far! We also developed a hand out for the Spit... though I am not sure if its been used so much. Hard to tell.

http://www.nwkite.com/downloads/HRKBGuide.rtf

I'd be happy to support a sticky for the For Sale section. Most of the time it seems like pretty good gear in there, but I see questionable stuff every so often.

Maybe I am just being selfish but I'd rather not see cheap old crap gear on our beaches. It tends to attract the wrong type of kiters, and its unsafe for them and others.

Some people want to get into the sport for as little as possible, which is being a bit naive. Selling to experienced kiters is a different matter, but its usually not the case. People have to understand that this sport is expensive and time consuming, its not something to try out and stop doing ... its a lifestyle choice.

I like seeing the sport grow but I want the right kind of people, not the wrong kind. Sorry for being so selfish, I can only imagine myself 5 years ago when I learned and my state of mind at the time... Very Happy

Blue

Since 03 Jul 2007
469 Posts
I used to be
Obsessed

PostTue Jul 22, 08 8:06 am     Reply with quote

pkh wrote:
Looking good so far! We also developed a hand out for the Spit... though I am not sure if its been used so much. Hard to tell.

http://www.nwkite.com/downloads/HRKBGuide.rtf

I think the documents could be integrated. The purpose is a little different. I mean to focus on how to start riding, once someone makes decision to join the crowd. Presumably, they will not need general public info at that point.

I have selfish purpose as well Smile I don't want to see all the Gorge spots disappear even before I will have a chance to ride there. Also, I need to elbow some room for me to practice. Twisted Evil

To any photogs reading this (Rico, stringy, TonyLong, and others I don't recall right now). If you don't mind to extend the rights for editorial use of some of your images for the document I am working on, please pm me with your restrictions etc.

Mark

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostTue Jul 22, 08 8:13 am     Reply with quote

A good start for sure despite your difficulties with the english language. HaHa. I'm only kidding, I jest b/c all my stuff is reviewed by a technical writing expert and she hammers on me from time to time.

maybe I'll write something up in the interim.

Blue

Since 03 Jul 2007
469 Posts
I used to be
Obsessed

PostTue Jul 22, 08 5:04 pm     Reply with quote

pdxmonkeyboy wrote:
A good start for sure despite your difficulties with the english language.
Haha. No, no, no, these are not difficulties. It's my heritage shining through Exclamation Laughing What's your excuse Wink Question
pdxmonkeyboy wrote:
maybe I'll write something up in the interim.
That would be much appreciated. I mainly think of a guide for a newcomer from taking lessons to stage of confident riding, and how to accomplish that in a busy location. That's what I have an experience with, since I am stuck in this period forever now.

Anyways, thanks for an offer. Any help is much appreciated.

Mark

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the

PostWed Jul 23, 08 8:55 am     Reply with quote

Well, I guess before we sit down and write this thing, we need to decide a few things. So the target market is obviously new kiters, but what are the messages that we are going to try and convey? I think it should be rather Gorge centric. points that I think should be touched on, and forgive me if you already did it, I don't have the pdf open in front of me.

Intro cautionary, yeah kiting is fun, blah blah blah.

1. realistic discussion on costs- no cheap way around
2. time and energy needed to kite effectively- travel time, minimum 10 outing? till proficient? - input would be nice here.
3. Still want to, ok lets do this!! Lessojns, lessons, lessons.
(4. list of what to look for in a instructor and list of local schools
5. list of internet links to how to pages
6. Gear discussion. old, new, boards, etc. for this region. where to get, list of swap meets, remind people that don't need to freakin obsess over their first kite.
7. List of local spots good for beginers, coast, sauvie, HR
8. map of the spit, special considerations
9. general outline of the rules of the road, how to be a courteous kiter, when to give way, when to check if someone is ok,
10. what to do when the shit hits the fan, kitemares, what NOT to do.
11. who is the troll and where does he live?

shit dude, that is allot of info? I'd be writing a book. So maybe just talk about gear then>??

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostWed Jul 23, 08 10:36 am     Reply with quote

I agree that it should be Gorge specific. I've spent some time thinking about my opinion and it's really about gusty puffy wind as the problem isn't necessarily the kites, it's the geography.

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the

PostWed Jul 23, 08 11:13 am     Reply with quote

Forrest wrote:
I agree that it should be Gorge specific. I've spent some time thinking about my opinion and it's really about gusty puffy wind as the problem isn't necessarily the kites, it's the geography.

Its really both when you think about it. the geography of the gorge lends itself to kites that can handle gusts.

Blue

Since 03 Jul 2007
469 Posts
I used to be
Obsessed

PostThu Jul 24, 08 10:46 am     Reply with quote

pdxmonkeyboy wrote:
Well, I guess before we sit down and write this thing, we need to decide a few things. So the target market is obviously new kiters, but what are the messages that we are going to try and convey? I think it should be rather Gorge centric. points that I think should be touched on, and forgive me if you already did it, I don't have the pdf open in front of me.

Intro cautionary, yeah kiting is fun, blah blah blah.

1. realistic discussion on costs- no cheap way around
2. time and energy needed to kite effectively- travel time, minimum 10 outing? till proficient? - input would be nice here.
3. Still want to, ok lets do this!! Lessojns, lessons, lessons.
(4. list of what to look for in a instructor and list of local schools
5. list of internet links to how to pages
6. Gear discussion. old, new, boards, etc. for this region. where to get, list of swap meets, remind people that don't need to freakin obsess over their first kite.
7. List of local spots good for beginers, coast, sauvie, HR
8. map of the spit, special considerations
9. general outline of the rules of the road, how to be a courteous kiter, when to give way, when to check if someone is ok,
10. what to do when the shit hits the fan, kitemares, what NOT to do.
11. who is the troll and where does he live?

This is good stuff. Some of it is already covered on nwkite, e.g. “spots” page. The info there can be updated and expanded with your points. With a comprehensive approach like you suggesting I would be inclined to build on what we already have available.

pdxmonkeyboy wrote:
shit dude, that is allot of info? I'd be writing a book. So maybe just talk about gear then>??

Yeah, and kiteboarding textbook is long overdue, but this is not what I am after.

Let me backtrack a bit, and narrow a list. There are a lot of newcomers to the sport. Some take lessons and off they go, intermediate level in two weeks. Some take lessons and cannot progress for months or years. I talked to several people like that. This group is not vocal, but it is there. I am one of them, too.

In frustration on my lack of progress, I devised a plan outlined in a brochure. Granted, many experienced riders will not be able to relate to it. So, let’s just focus on what I have done so far. The goal is to show people how to self practice, how to self assess progress, and how to make it in a way that is acceptable and safe in crowded locations, like HR, or even SI.

There is a paragraph there about equipment, very general, but probably sufficient. Could you do some editorial work on it, please?

Mark

Bettyboarder

Since 18 Mar 2005
1823 Posts
PDX/ White Salmon
Mrs. Site Lackey

PostTue Jul 29, 08 7:03 am     Reply with quote

Mark - it looks nice. Kiteboarding Mag seems to do an "intro to kiteboarding" issue every year. I think this years issue was pretty good.

http://www.kiteboardingmag.com/article.jsp?id=1000061655

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> CGKA All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: