Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Self Rescues
Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostMon Apr 07, 08 6:15 pm    Self Rescues Reply with quote

With the coming of Summer, we're going to have lots of newbies with questions. I thought maybe it would be a good idea to go over self rescues, considering the recent fatality in SPI.

First off, if you can't self-rescue, you're not ready to go solo. Period. Get more lessons until you can.

I'll jump right in and say that I think it's a really, really bad idea to wind your lines up prior to having the kite under control. That means either it's parked on the beach or in the hands of a competent person. Failing to do that seems to be the cause of the SPI fatality?

I attach the safety line to my board. I've added loops to the end of my boards, using the fin screws. This way the board doesn't "fish lure" into the water, like when you hook the line to a foot-strap or handle. Rather, it glides on top of the water. This both makes it easier to swim if you have to, and makes it less dangerous. (A submerged board attached to a suddenly powered up kite can surface pretty fast... Shocked ) Alternately, you could hook the board to your harness. That way if you lose the kite, you don't lose the board too. The negative to this is that if you lose control of the kite, the board could get tangled in the lines, creating a potentially very bad situation.

Once your board is secured to either you or your safety line, UNHOOK from the kite totally. If you can't control the kite with the safety line, you're probably screwed anyway. Now go hand over hand up the safety line to the kite. Perform your self rescue to the beach. Secure the kite, and roll up the lines.

Anyone have any different ideas? Just looking for a consensus on a beginner's technique.

Boat rescues are a different story. Maybe best in a different thread?

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostMon Apr 07, 08 7:06 pm     Reply with quote

I NEVER wrap my lines in the water! I activate the safety, roll a flat kite back line length around the bar regardless, secure bar to board via foot strap, and walk up 5th, or outside line to kite. I then sail kite in and wrap lines on shore. Works great, and I feel that it is much safer than trying to wrap in the water.

I like your idea of a rescue loop at the end of the board. I think I am going to install one, as the board does pearl when I attach the bar to a strap.

Eric

kyle.vh

Since 11 Jul 2007
713 Posts
city of angels
Addicted

PostMon Apr 07, 08 7:18 pm     Reply with quote

I dropped my kite in Baja once, and didn't wrap up the lines. They got seriously, seriously clogged by seaweed which added tons of drag. Luckily I was pretty close to shore, but damn it was a mess.
I guess that's not relevant to the gorge, but you could get wrapped up by a log or something.

Reaper356

Since 10 Dec 2006
780 Posts
Salem / LC Oregon
Opinionated

PostMon Apr 07, 08 7:37 pm     Reply with quote

If there's lots of floating driftwood around I think it's a good idea to wrap your lines, otherwise don't.
If you wrap, take your time - I tried a practice in the Siletz and got lines wrapped around me. If it wouldn't have been in flat five foot deep water I would have started cutting!

Note: If there's no wind, don't try and sail the kite in.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostMon Apr 07, 08 7:37 pm     Reply with quote

I'm also not a fan of wrapping lines in the water. Probably 15+ self rescues. I used to attach the board to the safety but it always augured on me... I think I am just going to attach my kite leash to it (after safety is deployed and kite is depowered.)

Plus last time I left my board attached to the safety I ended up losing the whole kite + board:

http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-6894-0-asc-30.html

scartch

Since 10 Feb 2008
29 Posts

PostMon Apr 07, 08 10:09 pm     Reply with quote

I was always taught if you have to self rescue you should always have only one line in your hand at one time. I kite will not power if it is held by only one line. when you pull in your kite go hand over hand and let the line fall in the water. if there is current, put it on the down current side.

GorgeKite.com

Since 17 Mar 2008
225 Posts
Hood River
Stoked

PostMon Apr 07, 08 10:53 pm    self rescue Reply with quote

What happens when there is no wind? Be a strong swimmer, or wear a life jacket.

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostMon Apr 07, 08 11:05 pm    Re: self rescue Reply with quote

funktron wrote:
What happens when there is no wind? Be a strong swimmer, or wear a life jacket.

We did that last year at Stevenson. There were about 5-10 of us out on the water when the wind shifted to NW and everyone's kite went down. Luckily most everyone was pretty close to shore as they had been trying to work there way in. Took Tucker and me ~30 minutes to swim in with our kites because of the current.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostTue Apr 08, 08 6:19 am     Reply with quote

If the wind is completely dead, then ya you have to swim.

But if there is even 4mph winds, use your kite on the water to pull you in (hold each of the tips in your hands and use it like a sail.)

The most common mistake I see people making is trying to swim in with their kite in heavy winds. Another bad ideas is pulling the deflate valve, that's just going to turn your kite into a big wet anchor.

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostTue Apr 08, 08 8:34 am     Reply with quote

I might ass that that when you get to your kite and your finding it difficult to get a hold of both wing tips, you can let a small amount of air to make bending the kite in half a little easier.

I think the biggest thing by far is to relax and not get yourself all worked up. Many, many people have had to self rescue and they all lived to tell about it. There is typically allot of people in the water and even though you don't know them, we are all looking out for someone who is in distress. If your truely in a world of hurt, chances are the calvary is on the way.

One question though: Is there some kind of universal "help me signal" like arms crossed above your head or something. Just thinking if you broke some ribs or are having a nasty nasty cramp.

Also: Someone may want to explain "the vortex of despair" that exists where the hood river empties into the columbia. I've seen people going around and around and around over there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVvAw2VFR4Y&feature=PlayList&p=FB7233C37686AC79&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=34

magicmaker

Since 29 Oct 2006
895 Posts
da Hood
Opinionated

PostTue Apr 08, 08 8:40 am     Reply with quote

kyle.vh wrote:
I dropped my kite in Baja once, and didn't wrap up the lines. They got seriously, seriously clogged by seaweed which added tons of drag. Luckily I was pretty close to shore, but damn it was a mess.
I guess that's not relevant to the gorge, but you could get wrapped up by a log or something.

there is/was river kelp at the mouth of the klickitat. when i was learning, i was on a 2002 fuel and crashed the kite, couldn't relaunch, and got blown from the sandbar across the mouth of the klickitat and onto the other side there. must have drug in about 150 lbs of river kelp. i just cut my lines and said f*** it, there was no way i was cleaning up that mess. then i learned how much replacement lines cost.

IMO, it is ok to wrap up your lines if you're on a C Kite with a fifth line that you pull in about 5 meters more than the rest of your lines. the profire bar with the 5th line trim cleat is great for this. i wouldn't recomend trying to wrap your lines unless you're a strong swimmer, confident, and know wtf you are doing. it takes more time to get to your kite, you have to swim around the lines, keeping track of where they are and making sure you dont get tangled. it can be dangerous but i know it's possible and can save you 3-4 hours after your self rescue. If i was riding any 4 line kite, i would not try to wrap the lines up prior to a self rescue; nor would i take the time to wrap my lines if i had to self rescue out in the ocean. what everyone else has said here is really good too.

Reaper356

Since 10 Dec 2006
780 Posts
Salem / LC Oregon
Opinionated

PostTue Apr 08, 08 8:51 am     Reply with quote

In the river w/ current, do your lines drift down around you after you reach the kite while you're trying to setup a SR?
(Assuming you attach your board to your harness and don't wind lines.)

mschulz

Since 29 May 2007
530 Posts
Reno, NV
Addicted

Nak- thanks for starting it. This is a great thread for the start of the season.

In my self rescue situations, I would unhook from the kite leaving my leash attached to me and I would swim up the center line to the kite letting the lines drift away. When I reach the kite I flip it on its back and lay on it to hold it down and keep me afloat. Then I wrap the lines and use the kite to sail in.

I am open to ideas if anyone is willing to critique my process (dangers, etc.)?

It sounds like letting the lines and bar go free until you reach the shore would be easier.

Nak- Do you have pictures of your loop in your board you could post?

kitezilla

Since 22 Jun 2006
453 Posts
gorge
Obsessed

Here are 2 very good threads concerning the subject:

(1) Don't let this happen to you:

http://kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2345977&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=self+rescue

(2) Here is an analysis of the pros and cons of the 2 methods of self-rescue, the one recommended by the IKO (wind up the lines), and the "single line" method, which seems to be gaining popularity.

http://forum.bestkiteboarding.com/viewtopic.php?t=6877&highlight=single+line+iko+rescue

pjc

Since 06 Mar 2005
649 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Apr 08, 08 8:52 am     Reply with quote

pdxmonkeyboy wrote:

One question though: Is there some kind of universal "help me signal" like arms crossed above your head or something. Just thinking if you broke some ribs or are having a nasty nasty cramp.

this is the signal they use in the scuba universe to signal that you are not OK while on the surface. (like a yuppie version of black power salute)

http://tinyurl.com/6x7uqr

although i think in reality the spastic flailing and splashing is an indication that all is not well.

Reaper356

Since 10 Dec 2006
780 Posts
Salem / LC Oregon
Opinionated

PostTue Apr 08, 08 8:58 am     Reply with quote

Quote:
this is the signal they use in the scuba universe to signal that you are not OK while on the surface.

Is the face part of the signal?

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostTue Apr 08, 08 9:54 am     Reply with quote

I've self rescued two or three times and I always wrapped one line about 10 times then wrapped all the other lines as I floated down stream, once I got to the kite I could tuck the bar under the leading edge and not worry about it.

Unless you really need to get out of the water right away, I don't see the disadvantage of wrapping your lines. I would think that not wrapping them and trying to swim toward the kite (or pulling yourself up one line) would be more dangerous as the potential exists to A. cut the shit out of your hands when walking up the line B. getting wrapped up in the kite lines if you something happens and the kite starts flipping around or tries to relaunch.

In addition, I think the tangled mess of lines that happens when you don't wind is worse then the rescue itself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVvAw2VFR4Y&feature=PlayList&p=FB7233C37686AC79&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=34

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: