Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Warm exoitc places to kite in February.
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
marina

Since 16 Jan 2006
150 Posts
California coast
Stoked

PostMon Sep 17, 12 8:25 am     Reply with quote

The Kiteboarder has put together some special Baja trips for this winter in Jan/Feb. You might be interested in the Rediscover/Discover Baja Adventures where we'll go to the Pacific side, whale shark, malceon booze cruise, daily downwinders, and more. Or the boat adventure trip we are doing (6 days boat, 4 days chill in La Ventana). The full story of the two experimental trips we did this last winter is in the current issue of TKB, as told and shot by local NW kiter Jim Stringfellow:-)

Fully agree with Mark about travel and lmao about the egg comment! Reminds me of an ex boyfriend who stood up while we were in a restaurant and France and said in frustration, don't any of you people speak English????!!!

Check out our new instruction resource
site, www.thekiteboarderschool.com

brass

Since 15 Jul 2006
152 Posts

Stoked

PostMon Sep 17, 12 8:50 am     Reply with quote

never looked at the date before replying. I thought this thread looked familiar.

But it was nice daydreaming about kiting in Asia for a second.

Last edited by brass on Mon Sep 17, 12 12:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

taycar

Since 11 Jan 2010
110 Posts
HR
Stoked

PostMon Sep 17, 12 10:29 am     Reply with quote

Old post....I was suckered in...
Last edited by taycar on Mon Sep 17, 12 10:38 am; edited 1 time in total

Aeolus

Since 20 Apr 2010
354 Posts
Gold Beach, OR
OR-SoCo-Aficionado

PostMon Sep 17, 12 10:36 am     Reply with quote

This thread is from 5 years ago. Maybe pdxmb could tells us wha happened.

alleycat

Since 29 Jun 2006
176 Posts
Portland
Stoked

PostMon Sep 17, 12 11:24 am     Reply with quote

I was also suckered in so I deleted my post.....

Is she kiting?? Or did you DTB??

dangerD

Since 27 Jun 2005
223 Posts
Bingen Heights
Stoked

PostThu Sep 20, 12 8:20 pm     Reply with quote

F@#$ng time warp! If you're going to Baja. go to Barriles! Twisted Evil

Pete

Since 29 Oct 2007
829 Posts

Opinionated

PostFri Sep 21, 12 10:48 am     Reply with quote

Aeolus wrote:
This thread is from 5 years ago. Maybe pdxmb could tells us wha happened.

Wonder if he's still married.

jmmorford

Since 26 Oct 2009
21 Posts

PostTue Sep 25, 12 4:51 pm     Reply with quote

Upscale, romantic incredible honeymoon with incredible kiting off the beach: Mui Ne, Viet Nam. Flight is expensive, but bargains after that.

Cheaper, less exotic, but plenty romantic and jamming kiting in February: Los Barrilles, Baja. Lessons from Exotikite

Both locations have excellent diving if the winds die or she loses enthusiasm.

Dooglaz

Since 17 Oct 2009
5 Posts
Los Barriles, Baja Sur
Kook

PostTue Sep 25, 12 5:04 pm    Incredible and cheap Barriles Reply with quote

If you want the best bang for your buck, head to Baja this winter. Tourism has picked back up and there lots of flights options now. We have an adventure tour center in Los Barriles, under an hour from the cabo airport (SJD) or La Ventana. Our town is super fun and relaxed, with so much more to do than LV! (shopping centers, abundance of cheap rentals...) Our wind is ON from December through May. For beginners, we have wide open sandy beaches, safe oceans (even no urchins!) and great logistics. For the hardcores, we have waveriding downwinders to hot tubs and inviting destinations from 1 to 25 miles long! Come check out our website and what Los Barriles has to offer. Drop us a line to find out more!

liditagomez

Since 26 Oct 2016
2 Posts
Spain

PostWed Oct 26, 16 7:42 am    Venezuela Reply with quote

Hello,

I would take myself to Los Roques islands in Venezuela if was going to go on a honeymoon.
. The place is amazing and very calm. Hotels can be expensive but there are also a couple of cheap and reasanoble posadas (posada del Carmen and posada Margarita).
The islands are amazingly beautiful and water is a tourquoise dream. Water is pretty flat but you can head to the reef for some if small action.
The main kiting area is around Francisqui islands, with boats heading there all the time. You can take your kite back to the hotel or leave it at Elias Kiteschool in the island.
There is a newer school I know nothing about, but I can reccomend Elias that has been there for ages and is a very experienced wind and kitesurfer. You can also rent SUP boards to take on trip to closer islands like Madriski.
They can organize trips to further islands and kite safaris plus some nice downwinds too (they need to be contacted before arrivals as Los Roques is a National Park and they would need special permits).
Food is great, night is calm but it is possible to dance some merengue and salsa on Fridays and Saturdays, it is very safe, wind is very reliable, it is very safe for learning and its THE Caribbean paradise!!!!
The only downside is that there are not so many other kitesurfers to learn from (choose other areas like El Yaque or Coche in Venezuela too).The good thing is you'll have plenty of room for tricks and enjoy yourself.

I have been there twice and I plan to go back as soon as I can!!!

IMG_0132.JPG
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  IMG_0132.JPG
 Filesize:  1.71 MB
 Downloaded:  445 Time(s)
 Note:  Use Pixlr to resize images to lower than 1024x768 resolution so they show up inline.

IMG_0121.JPG
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  IMG_0121.JPG
 Filesize:  1.82 MB
 Downloaded:  395 Time(s)
 Note:  Use Pixlr to resize images to lower than 1024x768 resolution so they show up inline.

liditagomez

Since 26 Oct 2016
2 Posts
Spain

PostWed Oct 26, 16 7:52 am    Venezuela Reply with quote

Sorry, cheap posada Margarita is in El Yaque (very nice place to stay). In Los Roques I can reccomend Gremary and Los Corales. El Canto de la Ballena is a very nice place too but a bit more expensive

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostThu Oct 27, 16 12:11 pm     Reply with quote

liditagomez wrote:
I have been there twice and I plan to go back as soon as I can!!!

Well have fun Lidia and please post up pictures of all the good times ahead in Venezuela!! I highly recommend you pack your own tampons so you can afford a little extra time in El Canto de la Ballena.

https://panampost.com/pedro-garcia/2015/07/02/scarce-tampons-eat-up-a-third-of-venezuelan-salaries/

For all other Gringos/Gringas looking for a warm vacation kite spot I would leave Venezuela off your "bucket list" for now until the human rights abuses and atrocities stop boiling over and a black market paying 1200 Bolivars for a $1 will get you in a bad situation faster than you can say “cuanto vas a colaborar?”

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostThu Oct 27, 16 10:58 pm     Reply with quote

I did Venezuela a few years back, sketchy as hell in Caracas back then. The economy and government are both in meltdown mode right now; don't even consider going there. Unless of course a few years in a Venezuelan prison is on your bucket list... The Bolivar was trading for 7 to 1 back then, 700 to 1 now. Crap, is it really up to 1200 to 1? Your Gringo butt will either be in kidnapped hell or prison hell within hours of your arrival. If you think Obama is going to pony up 1.7 billion in cash to bail your sorry ass out of prison, then you obviously have no idea where that 1.7 billion really went. Yeah, Los Roques would be incredible. Prison, not so much.

Regardless, I don't think Monkeyboy gives a shit anymore... Very Happy

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostFri Oct 28, 16 11:11 am     Reply with quote

Nak, you're so right it's an incredible location but prison / police / military will happen fast and furious. Everyone is scared but they are tired and have nothing so Caracas is one huge demonstration in play as we speak (1 million+) but let's fly into that city with our flashy kites and shiny boards looking for a ride to the islands. Shocked

Official reported exchange now is around 1:10 but you can't get money from an ATM anyway and a VISA is almost impossible to get so I'm surprised the troll/spammer Lidia is reviving this thread for Elias Kiting. Although she's from "Spain" and not acting local...so she conveniently doesn't have to answer current day questions. The islands are probably a bit safer but still desperate people make desperate decisions.

Black/Blue market is around 1200 but it all depends on on how much you bring to the table and with who. Toilet paper is nowhere to be found so Bolivars are basically used to wipe ass. Maduro has about 2 weeks left but their recovery with the collapse of oil prices has them on a long road ahead...if ever. We process payroll in various South America countries and when Venezuela comes up all we've ever hear for the past 12 years is the same "Es una idea muy mala mi gringo comanche, muy malo."

Foster

Since 05 Jan 2016
6 Posts

Kook

PostSat Oct 29, 16 7:08 am    Exotic winter kiting Reply with quote

Why doesn't anyone mention Costa Rica? I hope I'm not giving away any secrets, but it really blows there all winter. We had two weeks of solid 25 every day last year, and that seems to be the norm. Kited at Bahia Salinas which is a little funky but really fun and definitely exotic. Check out Blue Dream Hotel.

Lurk

Since 04 Apr 2009
355 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Nov 03, 16 9:06 am     Reply with quote

How about Tarife Spain? Ive heard its crowded in summer but Feb might be better and it has a huge bay? Plus close to Seville, Portugal..Morocco

Jonpnw

Since 22 Jul 2010
1322 Posts
Pacific Northwest
XTreme Poster

PostThu Nov 03, 16 9:21 am    What Foster Said Reply with quote

Costa Rica . Bahia Salinas was a very fun , windy adventure. We stayed at the Blue Dream "Resort" and had wind for 10 days.

Join the Columbia Gorge Water Sports Association. http://gorgewindsurfing.org/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: