Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Warm exoitc places to kite in February.
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostTue Sep 18, 07 9:24 am     Reply with quote

chefjaredagcc wrote:
jahmbi wrote:
SLING SOME HOT DOGS ON THE SIDE AND MAKE SOME$$

i don't have a street vendors license

LMAO!!!

tstansbury

Since 06 Jun 2006
649 Posts
Rowena and P.C
Addicted

PostTue Sep 18, 07 9:49 am     Reply with quote

I got skunked in the Bvi's last year herd it is better in december not a lot of great launches. This year I am going to try Tulum south of cancun http://www.parayso.com/ hoping to kite out front.

Cozumel Tom

Since 14 Aug 2007
18 Posts
Toronto / Cozumel

PostTue Sep 18, 07 7:11 pm     Reply with quote

Check out Cozumel...the wife will love it. No big kite scene like DR, just a few happy kiters enjoying the many places to ride and the cool Caribbean vibe. The island is romantic, quiet and safe, with lots of locations to kite and explore. Scott Norby and his soon-to-be bride Tami will be staying at my condo for their Honeymoon and Tonia and Tekko are regulars to the island. The condo is only 5 minutes from the airport and town in the private Country Club Estates. Both the Country Club and the Lagoons are great for learning. Adrian is the quality instructor (PASA) on the island. Many of my guests have taken lessons and trips with him and all the feedback is very positive. I can give you a Honeymoon discount as I know once you have been here, you will always come back. The water is in the 80's with 100+ ft of visibility. The best diving in the world and the golf course is just behind the condo.

And "JACK" don't know Jack about the wind in Cozumel. Check the historical records on Weather Underground and you will see it is consistent, but you can get skunked anywhere.

Tom
www.cozumeltom.com

jack

Since 12 Mar 2006
211 Posts

Stoked

PostTue Sep 18, 07 9:27 pm     Reply with quote

ok so i guess my less informative post got deleted by the powers that be, but in reference to me not knowing jack i will give you my personal statistics...

40 days in the area, all during the "windy" season, no more than 20 days on the water (not for a lack of trying) of the 20 days many were spent slogging around on big kites and other than the location were not that fun. the entire area has blessed me with the worst wind luck of anywhere i have travelled

It is also my humble opinion that cozumel is not "exotic" and a lot more is offered on the mainland. tulum is a much prettier place and playa is a much more fun place.

I know groups have gone down there and had nothing but wind, however, i know far more who haven't.

the area isn't a mecca for kiting for a reason, and that reason is not simply because it is yet to be discovered....

chrisinbahamas

Since 22 Jul 2007
41 Posts

PostWed Sep 19, 07 3:49 am     Reply with quote

Come to nassau, bahamas. its great down here. Check out the schools website. cross-shore.com AJ is a great teacher and has tons of gear to learn on.

Hein

Since 08 Mar 2005
1313 Posts

Possessed

PostWed Sep 19, 07 5:27 am     Reply with quote

Hey Carol,

Wasn't your post about * Beach

Locals ask you remove it did they?

Last edited by Hein on Wed Sep 19, 07 10:00 am; edited 2 times in total

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostWed Sep 19, 07 6:34 am     Reply with quote

jack wrote:
ok so i guess my less informative post got deleted by the powers that be, but in reference to me not knowing jack i will give you my personal statistics...

40 days in the area, all during the "windy" season, no more than 20 days on the water (not for a lack of trying) of the 20 days many were spent slogging around on big kites and other than the location were not that fun. the entire area has blessed me with the worst wind luck of anywhere i have travelled

It is also my humble opinion that cozumel is not "exotic" and a lot more is offered on the mainland. tulum is a much prettier place and playa is a much more fun place.

I know groups have gone down there and had nothing but wind, however, i know far more who haven't.

the area isn't a mecca for kiting for a reason, and that reason is not simply because it is yet to be discovered....

Thanks for the more informative post Very Happy

I agree if you go to Cozumel best to have a backup plan if the wind doesn't cooperate. About half the crew we went with last time was scuba certified and went diving while we were there. They really scored, diving on the calm days and kiting on the windy days. Cozumel is known to have some of the best diving in the world.

The food is really good and not very expensive, I've had some of my best meals ever there and they were always priced fairly.

Wind... We only got about 40% wind on the last trip, 90% on the first trip though. We had more wind on the first trip for sure, I guess its just the chance you take. Cozumel is about the whole experience, not just kiting. If you want guaranteed 100% wind, then I don't think Cozumel is for you.

The riding at Country Club beach is ok, choppy, but beautiful warm water. Advantage here is if you stay at Country Club you can ride right from your place.

The riding on the east side is the most beautiful, nice turquoise waves with butter in-between.

The best riding though is in the lagoons at the top of the island. Amazing flat water areas. You need a boat to get to it, talk to Adrian at Cozumel Kiteboarding (www.cozumelkiteboarding.com)

Tulum is very pretty and I'd recommend a visit if you hit Cozumel. IMO the things Cozumel has over the mainland: Nicer people who won't try to rip you off, small feel, very safe feel, quieter, huge reef with more diving options, and its an island so you can ride wind in any direction.

YRMV Thumb's Up

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostWed Sep 19, 07 8:34 am     Reply with quote

Thanks a bunch everyone for the advice. Tulum is high on the list at this point, especially since the wife doesn't want to go t the Bahamas again and some airfares are down right crazy to the virgin islands.

Thanks Jack for the honest review of Cozumel. I'm always leary of the really common tropical vacation spots. The first time I ever had the misfortune to go to end up in Cabo I j was pretty appalled.

Thanks again.

jack

Since 12 Mar 2006
211 Posts

Stoked

PostWed Sep 19, 07 8:46 am     Reply with quote

pdx. no problem. tulum is an amazing spot and when it is windy it is the coolest spot i have ever kited. a combination of the water, the reef, the beach and the ruins make it unbreatable. gman is the one you should contact as i think he has very good knowledge of that area.

also, although it is a tiny pain in the ass it is easy to drive up and catch the cozumel ferry rent a jeep and tool around the island for a day. it is $60 to $100 for a jeep for the day and well worth it.

i don think you could ever go wrong with tulum...

tstansbury

Since 06 Jun 2006
649 Posts
Rowena and P.C
Addicted

PostWed Sep 19, 07 8:56 am     Reply with quote

also look up http://www.locogringo.com/index.cfm go to maps then aerial photos and you can scroll up and down the beach and then click on places to stay and check them out. last time I looked I did not find the place we will be staying (feb 15)http://www.parayso.com/ but if you are in the area at the same time it would be cool to have someone to ride with.

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostWed Sep 19, 07 9:39 am     Reply with quote

Travel abroad is what you make of it. It you have never been out of the country try to pick a more popular spot so you don't have culture shock. Not everyone likes being put out of their comfort zone. We traveled with a couple that compained about the eggs in her omlete tasting funny because the eggs were MEXICAN Laughing I didn't know chickens had nationality but that's another story.... Rolling Eyes

If you Dive or have other non wind recreation that assures a better trip. If you like a night life or a place where its "midnight at 9pm", THose are considerations as well.

Above all, Remember you are on Vacation... have fun and relax. Try to slow down! Nothing worse than listen to someone bitch about every little thing. Alot of countrys just run slowly. Take time to enjoy it.

Try to assimulate rather than apply your American ways.

Mark Out.
(Damn now I wish I were on vacation!)
t-minus 100 days to the Bahamas.

www.naishkites.com

scottnorby

Since 23 Sep 2005
538 Posts
Cascadia - Seattle - Encinitas
Addicted

PostWed Sep 19, 07 6:17 pm     Reply with quote

To get WAY away try Marquez.
Pacific side baja.
South of La Paz but North of Cabo.

No Americans.
Good waves when there is no wind.
Good waves with wind.
Sure to get nutty like La Ventana.

Going this winter. Looking for land.
Locals are all moving away and selling land cheap.

Oregon locals should take it over ---before the so cal boys buy it up and snob it up with a starbucks and kook bars.

Onad

Since 04 Mar 2005
1435 Posts
Coast<<PDX>>Gorge
XTreme Poster

PostThu Sep 20, 07 8:15 am     Reply with quote

Maui winds in Feb can be a bit if a gamble, but the waves are gona be big. If you surf as well you won’t get skunked on action sports... Wink

Good Maui weather info: http://www.actionsportsmaui.com/mauiweather.html

February - One of the coolest months, with showery weather episodes…..mixed with warm, and sunny days. Light winds generally, but some of the strongest winds of the year reported in the winter month of February. Medium to large surf on North and West shores. Snow falls on Haleakala some years. Tradewinds blow on the average 55% of the time. Sea water temperature averages about 74 degrees F. February averages for different locations on Maui Lahaina 80-63 F. (26.7C-17.2C) 2.35″ of precipitation Hana 79-64 F. (26.1C-17.8C) 6.83″ of precipitation Kahului 80-63 F. (26.7C-17.2C) 2.87″ of precipitation, Kahului % of possible daytime sunshine: 73%.

mkiteboard

Since 23 Oct 2007
17 Posts

PostFri Dec 28, 07 10:37 pm     Reply with quote

Can you give us more info. What is it near and what's the kiting and surfing set up. We are interested!

shastadogs2

Since 28 Mar 2005
336 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Dec 30, 07 9:33 am     Reply with quote

man, cabarete is the bomb but DO NOT promote lessons there for someone you care about, especially not at kitebeach. the locals throwing loops and HPs in the white water, no regard to those downwind, kites crossing lines regularly; add students drifting downwind under kites at zenith-iall it lacks is a clown for a full-tilt circus.

t may be the LAST lesson she takes.

my wife and i are headed to el yaque in march and my christmas present from her: she will take a kite lesson!! prolly out at coche where the water is flat and warm and shallow for miles.

man, thats what you want for your lady's first go-at-it. benign conditions, rescue boat at hand, no fuss no muss. if she has a bad time of it, sketchy winds (tulum!?), you may miss a golden opportunity. then again in tulum, the wind may not show up at all.

jimmi

kt

Since 16 Mar 2005
759 Posts
Portland, Or
Opinionated

PostMon Dec 31, 07 1:57 pm     Reply with quote

hey scott,

i would be very interested to hear what you find out about buying land down that way. give me PM if you get any info.

kt

scottnorby wrote:
To get WAY away try Marquez.

Going this winter. Looking for land.
Locals are all moving away and selling land cheap.

Oregon locals should take it over ---before the so cal boys buy it up and snob it up with a starbucks and kook bars.

abcde

Since 21 Aug 2012
3 Posts

Kook

PostMon Sep 17, 12 5:58 am    february? Reply with quote

La Ventana? I learned to kite there.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: