Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Tried (and failed) to break the Stevenson Rock
Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
dangler

Since 26 Feb 2006
1742 Posts
WINDY SPOTS
XTreme Poster

PostFri Jul 27, 07 12:10 pm    Tried (and failed) to break the Stevenson Rock Reply with quote

Launched at Stevensville on Thurs., pretty windy but nothing special. Water was super low so I'm standing on the rocks. Strong puff as I launch so I get Yoincked a bit and lose my footing and end up sliding on my butt towards the bank and Murphys Law, right into the 7 ton boulder that was recently moved up on the beach. Impacted with my knees locked(I guess my instinct was to get stopped as quick as possible) and broke both my heels. Pretty sure that had I been dragged head first, Like Motorcycle Jeff was the other day, I'd be sitting here drooling on myself. Guess I should feel lucky it's just a b$tch of a surgery and 6 mos to a year recovery. Sitting here with feet the size of watermelons, the pain of which is barely diminished by strong meds, I don't feel lucky.

Don't relly know what I should have done differently, I've launched there thousands of times, had a buddy that I knew to be an excellent launcher. JUST BE EXTRA CAREFUL WHEN THE WATERS LOW AND YOU'RE STANDING ON LAND. having the kite down on the beach and you in the water is an alternate launch method that wooda saved my ass.

And if anyone know how to get ahold of Rex (carpenter, drives an old van and a newer pick=up. PM me please. He had a similar injury.

Thanx to the beach crew that carried me and drove me to the ER

chanson

Since 31 Jan 2006
1873 Posts
WISCONSIN
Chimey

PostFri Jul 27, 07 12:15 pm     Reply with quote

Wow,...

Get well soon..I feel for you man, I got surgery pending(hopefully not) in Sept.

Heal up quick.

-Jake

Spike

Since 13 May 2007
1414 Posts
Alameda
Spelling Expert

PostFri Jul 27, 07 12:24 pm     Reply with quote

shit man, sorry to hear. Hope you heal alright. Why the hell was that rock moved anyway? Is it now more of a hazard?

pacifichigh

Since 11 May 2005
1004 Posts
ATX
Texan

PostFri Jul 27, 07 12:30 pm     Reply with quote

Heal Up Mark-- I know its hard, but remember it always could be worse, like you said drooling on yourself.

Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostFri Jul 27, 07 12:50 pm     Reply with quote

Dude - that sucks! Hope you heal up soon!!

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4198 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostFri Jul 27, 07 12:58 pm     Reply with quote

Mark,

This totally sucks, I am so sorry to hear about this. Thanks for taking the time to post this and possibly help prevent someone else sharing your fate.

I totally feel for you. I spent 6 months in a wheelchair after getting run over while running. If you don't mind, a word of advice on being temporarily disabled. You've led a very active lifestyle, so you're going to be amazed at how much less food you're going to need now. I cut my caloric intake by two thirds, and I still gained a lot of weight. Keep an eye on this shit early on so that when you heal, you can fully resume your lifestyle.

Heal fast.

Nak

MIXWELL

Since 10 Mar 2007
496 Posts
LGP COUGAR HUNTING ChEETO SLAYER
Windmixer

PostFri Jul 27, 07 3:15 pm     Reply with quote

Shocked
Thats shit sucks dude, hope you get well soon!
Its good of you to warn new comers aswell as vetrins, always stay safe!

Get well soon Bro

TWIN-FIN

Since 24 May 2006
805 Posts
Portland, OR
Hot Monkey

PostFri Jul 27, 07 3:22 pm     Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about your injuries. What a total drag Crying or Very sad
Keep your spirits up, and dont forget to check in with the NWkite crew on your progress. Heal up fast and be smart about your progress, dont push it until the doc gives you the OK.

Ok which one of you Stevenson kiters is going to take over Marks job of retriving my board for me, I pay in cold one's, of your choice Laughing

Wyo Kiter

Since 09 Mar 2006
148 Posts
In a VAN, down by the RIVER.
Stoked

PostFri Jul 27, 07 3:36 pm     Reply with quote

Mark,
Sorry to hear about you injury. get well soon.

I would suggest that everyone know their saftey system and don't be afraid to flag you kite in the event of a launch-gone-bad. you can always quickly re-rig.

Also a helmet is always a good idea. Be safe out there, it is a dangerous sport, live to ride another day.

peace

Helping companys to innovate bricks-and-clicks supply-chains and orchestrate real-time content to deliver customized channels to scale strategic e-services and facilitate global e-markets which will incubate 24/7 niches and seize dot-com channels.

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostFri Jul 27, 07 3:40 pm     Reply with quote

Mark Get well soon. Stevenson won't be the same without you.
Mark

www.naishkites.com

barfly

Since 31 Mar 2005
1210 Posts
Seaside
BRACKISH

PostFri Jul 27, 07 4:11 pm     Reply with quote

Hopes are that you'll be on the shorter end of the recovery period. Get well soon.

Kraemer

Since 24 Apr 2006
1735 Posts
Sky Pilot
Unicorn Captain

PostFri Jul 27, 07 7:31 pm     Reply with quote

Sorry to hear Dangler... Sad

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostFri Jul 27, 07 7:59 pm     Reply with quote

Sorry Mark - thats awful - heal up and feel better soon

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostFri Jul 27, 07 8:43 pm     Reply with quote

Get well as fast as possible, Mark!

tonyb

Since 09 Oct 2006
973 Posts
Stevenson in the summer & SPI in the winter
Bolstad Clan

PostFri Jul 27, 07 9:03 pm     Reply with quote

Mark! I feel for you man! I was down one foot - don't know what I'd do with two busted up. Let us know if you need help with grocery store runs, laundry, etc... I've also got a set of crutches I don't need any more.... but don't know how they would work without at least one foot on the ground!

Want to sit on the beach and take some pictures? I've got a spare camera you can use. Hope the swelling goes down soon and we see you out and about in a few days.

Tony

Yardsale

Since 29 Mar 2005
387 Posts
Portlanastan
Obsessed

PostFri Jul 27, 07 9:32 pm     Reply with quote

Mark, I think we are gonna have to float you in front of the launch on an inner tube or I won't feel at home, gonna miss your ugly mug on the water. See ya on dry land and heal up fast. Let me know if ya need crutches or a walking cast........benefits of breaking my legs 4 times. Take care, Steve B

shymac

Since 20 Jul 2005
919 Posts
Home Valley, Wa.
Bigfoot

PostFri Jul 27, 07 9:48 pm     Reply with quote

I leave town and all hell breaks lose! Shit!

Get well Bro!

Be careful of the aqua port, onshore wind most of the time. Makes for a hot and hairy launch, not for kuks. Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: