Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

December kite trip destination within USA
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
STORMRIDER

Since 17 Jul 2007
222 Posts

Stoked

PostMon Sep 05, 22 8:13 pm     Reply with quote

maui… maybe go earlier to ensure more days .. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Thatspec

Since 17 Mar 2008
115 Posts
Ptucky
Stoked

PostSun Sep 11, 22 5:42 pm     Reply with quote

Puerto Rico is remarkably expensive and you can't leave anything on the beach. Kiting is however awesome all winter. San Juan / Condado, reefs are 1/2 a mile off shore so there's windy choppy misery inside and side off peeling monster rights outside.

It's Maui but with an interesting culture.

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostMon Sep 12, 22 5:05 pm     Reply with quote

Thatspec wrote:
Puerto Rico .........

It's Maui but with an interesting culture.

How is it actually different than Maui? Interesting how?

OG

Since 07 Jun 2011
533 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Sep 13, 22 2:36 am     Reply with quote

Ive kited lake mojave, though it was so long ago i cant remember the month it was. Killer wind. Super remote, which i thought was cool. Cold cold water tho. Searchlight is the place that we checked out our houseboat, Im not sure where the kitebeach is from the road. But, Searchlight was about an hour fr Vegas.

Ive kited the florida keys in december. Or rather, i took my kites with me and didnt get to kite much. It did look like there was wind off shore wind that wasnt making it to the beach, previous comment about having access to a boat sounds helpful. I feel like Florida is just generally light'ish wind, based on the couple trips ive been out there. Seems like it could be a great foil spot with all the warm water and beaches.

I was in Ventura in march. There was some good days of kiting/wind at Jalama, though im not sure if it was luck or what the season is down there.

Honestly, i think Maui is pound for pound one of the better places Ive been to kite period. And, Ive had a couple great kite trips there in December. Ive done the thing where I stayed very close to the kite beach, stayed in paia, stayed in LaHaina, and in kihei. All had advantages, you just cant lose in maui. if i were setting up a trip today, id prolly shoot for staying in Paia again. Lots of eat/drink stuff, dont need to drive lots......'cept to kite, and the kite beaches arent far at all. I guess another thing that is mention worthy is you dont have a bunch of driving to do to get to the beach when you fly in, and Ive been able to get really early flights. So, with the time change Im getting in around lunch, which means you can kite the day you get there. and, i can always get a 6pm'ish flight out, so a pretty good last day. kinda maximizes your vacay time not having to lose a full day to travel each way with driving and flights.

I havent been to SPI. Thats prolly worth looking into. Or maybe some other gulf spots

Was in OBX in october last year. Great wind every day. The local folks we talked with said October is when you want to be there. No waves for my trip tho, all sound kiting, but i think i just was unlucky vs it being flat in october. Id imagine its pretty wintery in december.

itll be cool to hear what you end up deciding

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostTue Sep 13, 22 7:33 am     Reply with quote

I wish our experience with Puerto Rico was as positive as the others here. There are threads on kiting there you can find here with the search feature. I found it expensive and we mostly got skunked. Culture was interesting; we enjoyed the historical locations, found the native people friendly (albeit loud), and thought the food was overrated (and overpriced). My wife enjoyed the beaches and scenery. There is one break on the northwest corner of the island I'd go back for.

Mundek

Since 21 Apr 2022
25 Posts

PostTue Sep 13, 22 7:36 am     Reply with quote

Thanks OG for a detailed response and others for their input! I got a good overview now. I will make a final call next month, when there are funds make bookings. Wink This time it won't be anything too remote. Maui or Puerto Rico sounds really tempting. Wife wants Florida Keys, but seems like kiting might be a hit or miss there. I might steer the Corpus back into the conversation and see how it goes Wink.

BTW. Rooster was heaps fun this weekend! If the whole fall/winter/sprint season will be like that, then I excited! Smile

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostTue Sep 13, 22 9:27 am     Reply with quote

[quote="Mundek"
BTW. Rooster was heaps fun this weekend! If the whole fall/winter/sprint season will be like that, then I excited! Smile[/quote]

Glad you scored. Rooster can hand out the goods and it can also blow the liquid smoke which will have you sitting on the sidelines holding your own Rooster in your hand along with all the local resident Viet-Schlong.

It gets cold and blows too hard with large variances. Take a look at these photos on this thread and the wind graph pic too.

http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-51150.html&highlight=

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostTue Sep 20, 22 8:25 pm     Reply with quote

Fiona may have ruled Puerto Rico out for a while to come, unfortunately.

mikeinhoodriver

Since 23 Apr 2009
387 Posts
down wind somewhere
Obsessed

PostWed Sep 21, 22 8:36 am     Reply with quote

west wrote:
Corpus....Tejas in extreme drought, it’ll be windy!! flat water in laguna, foiling in bay, surf in gulf...cheap.

Any more details on Corpus? Interested.

lineman

Since 05 Feb 2009
170 Posts

Stoked

PostThu Sep 22, 22 6:18 pm     Reply with quote

I live in FL, wind was kinda reliable here in past years, no rhyme or reason for when it blows here now. Jet stream is seems to stay North now and not really dip with cold fronts like years past. FL is a great place to ride if it blows, IF.
Plan a trip here, no way, Texas or Maui brother.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: