Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Roosevelt has been ghosted

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
ezryder111

Since 24 Dec 2012
131 Posts
SE Portland
Stoked

PostMon Aug 15, 22 2:31 am    Roosevelt has been ghosted Reply with quote

Just spent the last few days kiting at Roosevelt with a couple friends....and oddly enough had the whole place to ourselves. Like, literally empty parking lot, nobody else camping and only a couple other stragglers out winging during the day.

I kind of get it...there is no running water, so no showers or flush toilets. The grass is dead. On top of that the milfoil is out of control, thick at least 50 yards out from the launch.

But it's still Roosevelt...the wind is cranking and smooth. Acres of empty water to explore. Have y'all given up on ol' Rosy for the year?

hilton

Since 15 Aug 2008
787 Posts

Opinionated

PostMon Aug 15, 22 5:14 am     Reply with quote

Gas is still too expensive to drive to Roosevelt when the wind is good in Hood River - and it takes too long. In another month or two it will be cloudy/raining in HR and sunny/nuking at Roosevelt and everyone will be back.

markamcclure

Since 20 May 2011
164 Posts
Portland, OR
Stoked

PostMon Aug 15, 22 5:54 am     Reply with quote

I really like kiting at Roosevelt, but not the launch/landing. It’s hard to get past the wind shadow at the exit. Maybe it will be better with lower water levels (less distance to cover depowered)?

I am hoping for some days in September when HR isn’t blowing.

honda1

Since 11 Sep 2013
183 Posts

Stoked

PostMon Aug 15, 22 9:38 pm    Rosey Reply with quote

That place could be awesome. Potentially some of the best facilities in the gorge. The army cor of engineers don’t give a care or the excuse for upkeep is no money. Once the grass dies then the goatheads come. It’s a shame because the actual kiting there is great!

HRnico

Since 22 Mar 2008
260 Posts
Da Hood
Obsessed

PostTue Aug 16, 22 4:30 pm    I concur Reply with quote

That place could be the Jewel it once was. The corp’s excuse of no money is such a farce. Every two weeks ever employee gets a check. Quite frustrating

ezryder111

Since 24 Dec 2012
131 Posts
SE Portland
Stoked

PostWed Aug 17, 22 10:59 am     Reply with quote

Agreed with all your points. The excuses for the current lack of water seems like BS. "They can't afford to fix it" yet somehow they can afford to send a team of people there every week to stand around and talk about it/tinker a bit and leave.

And the milfoil situation, ugh. I don't even foil but it was still a major issue to deal with. Even causing a kitemare situation getting back to shore. I usually don't advocate dumping more chemicals into the river but there is this....just sayin' Wink
https://www.lakerestoration.com/t-milfoil-control.aspx#:~:text=We%20recommend%20using%20treatments%20once,control%20many%20other%20submerged%20weeds.

STORMRIDER

Since 17 Jul 2007
222 Posts

Stoked

PostMon Sep 05, 22 8:01 pm    eastern gorge kiting Reply with quote

rufus has been a awful experience, progressively shitty the last three seasons .. too much current, too much river weeds, no swell … it sucks .. gone are the good ol days.. fn damns controlling the flow, weeds everywhere, 30 mph wind and no swell .. worst ever this season, while getting worse and shittyer ever season .. best days last 3 season have been in the

whoreidor/ horroridor

… credit to bubba smith for the moniker… not sure which version fits best .. kiting is dyeing a wing ding death … rufus sucks! rosey/gnarlington sucks harder… f it all !!

Ryan

Since 14 Jul 2005
536 Posts
Oregon
Addicted

PostTue Sep 06, 22 12:44 pm    Roosevelt Reply with quote

We spent Memorial weekend at Roosevelt. Grass was watered, although there are large bare spots. Bathrooms were open but only flushing toilets, no water in the sinks or shower.

The milfoil is a issue but really only for wingers.

Was busy on Saturday with all the wind. Sunday was in the 20's so lots of fun on the water and Monday was only in the teens in the morning.

Hopefully the Corps will figure out what's going on and restore the park to the way it was.

ezryder111

Since 24 Dec 2012
131 Posts
SE Portland
Stoked

PostWed Sep 07, 22 10:11 am     Reply with quote

Glad to hear they are making some progress at getting it back to normal. Seems kind of odd that they would have the toilets working but not the sinks and showers...water is probably not safe to drink yet.
Anyway, cool that there were people out there having a good time Thumb's Up I'd love to get one more weekend before it starts getting cold again.

ezryder111

Since 24 Dec 2012
131 Posts
SE Portland
Stoked

PostWed Sep 07, 22 9:34 pm     Reply with quote

Stormrider....shit man, really? I haven't been to Rufus this year but your description is not encouraging: gone are the good ol days.. fn damns controlling the flow, weeds everywhere, 30 mph wind and no swell .. worst ever this season, while getting worse and shittyer ever season .. best days last 3 season have been in the
whoreidor/ horroridor

C'mon folks...keep kiteboarding alive. I see you out there...if windsurfing can survive we can too Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: