Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Triton Mono Wing?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostMon Mar 21, 22 8:45 am    Triton Mono Wing? Reply with quote

Anyone here tried this yet? Review? Twitchy? Squirrely?
https://www.tritonfoils.com/

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostMon Mar 21, 22 9:37 am     Reply with quote

I’m gassing for one. Somebody needs to go first!

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostMon Mar 21, 22 10:53 am     Reply with quote

Singlemalt wrote:
I’m gassing for one. Somebody needs to go first!

HA! Ditto. I'll hold your beer. It's $1K then a $200 Moses adapter.

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostMon Mar 21, 22 4:03 pm     Reply with quote

In stock at kiteboarding.com.

You first!

watercamper

Since 08 Sep 2017
86 Posts
Boise

PostThu Mar 31, 22 5:46 am     Reply with quote

I tried one for a half hour or so down in Baja. Pitch stable is not an attribute and required constant attention. My friend referred to it as getting used to the porpoising. He also likened it to a skateboard on vaseline. It turns incredibly fast. And while I feared it would ventilate at times, it never did. It was fun. Swell wasn't great that day so I really couldn't surf it. Got up on waterstart the first time but u need to be an experienced foiler to do that. My foot switches were out of the question. Given more time, I could learn to ride it better but not really sure I want to.

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostThu Mar 31, 22 7:01 am     Reply with quote

Helpful ^^^

in general I am finding for my style a "loose," "skater" feel is not really what I am after. I keep coming back to more stability for tacks etc, and a bit of rear foot drive to push the wing into a tight radius vs slide/swivel it through.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostThu Mar 31, 22 11:07 am     Reply with quote

Helpful ^^^

Thank You. This is exactly why I O.P'ed this subject. As I suspected, it might have pitch greasiness I'm not looking for.

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1724 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostWed Oct 12, 22 6:31 am     Reply with quote

I got a triton monowing recently and have had a couple of sessions on it. super fun and impressive how well it rides. I was expecting pitch instability but I am surprised at how stable it rides. turns on a dime so tacks are super quick and easy not to mention pretty effortless. it doesn't have glide like most wings of similiar size but makes up for with playful skaty feel. I took it behind the sternwheeler the other day and was expecting it to washout in the wake turbulence but it rode great behind the boat. it was a totally new experience to carve it back and forth on the wake swell without getting knocked off by turbulence. I haven't quite figured out how to land any strapless ollies yet. I used to rely on my stabilizer to pierce the water and help with landing the front wing but now I don't have that so not sure how to ride it out now.
for a wing of this size you would expect it to be slow and maybe have excessive drag. If you look at its geometry and overall shape you would come to the conclusion that this wing might be slow or not work well. that is not the case. I was skeptical of it as well. after riding it a couple of session, I am very impressed with how well it rides. I have not got it to stall yet but will try and go slower LOL
the biggest drawback to this type of foil is when I crash the board sits on its side just like with the moses 633. I now have to body drag to it. even with a hoverglide mast it still sits on its side.
I've got it setup on my small pocket board so if you at stevenson and want to take it for a spin, feel free to reach out.

I forgot to mention, it a new foil and I have only been out in east winds so far. need to try it on west winds once we get some

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostWed Oct 12, 22 6:27 pm    Mono on the way Reply with quote

My gear flipping for a Mono has been a success!

I’m wildly excited. And worried the thing will sail upwind faster than I can body drag.

I hope to get a few warm westerlies before the rain and cold starts.

Super stoked.

IWantToFly

Since 29 Jul 2019
144 Posts

Stoked

PostThu Oct 20, 22 9:41 pm     Reply with quote

I've been hoping to come across some kind stranger or now meet up with Jim someday to try the T1. I'm very monowing-curious but I can't really imagine dropping the money without trying it first. Finally happened today at the event site. I'm an intermediate foiler currently riding a 106cm Kanaha Shapes board with a 90cm Project Cedrus Mast and Lift 170 Classic foil. I've also briefly ridden the Moses 633, 799, and 800 (I could barely ride the 800 - the others were easy to pick up). I also have a chopped Lift Classic 110 that I ride for more speed. I can jibe (not always successful on my weak side) and ride the waves. I cannot do foot switches or 360s yet, though I am starting to give it try.

So today nice guy Joel showed up with his complete Triton package - the tiny carbon board w/foot straps, 85cm mast, and T1 foil. Out on the water he let me swap kits. It took me 2-3 water starts to get up the first time and I was definitely having some challenges balancing, but it got better quickly. I think the tiny board was more of a challenge to figure out than the foil. The good pitch stability was surprising. The lack of roll stability was not surprising given all I've read about it. It is very slippery and turns on a dime. I managed to complete my first jibe and most of the ones I tried on my strong side. I was out playing in the waves and trying to carve it up and it was just plain fun. It slows down well for waves and for tight, pivot-like jibes, but it was also comfortable at my top speed (which is not much, maybe 20mph). It seemed oddly resistant to breaching as I got quite high a number of times and was able to keep riding - wasn't even a recovery it just didn't breach. When I got tired I did overcome that resistance and had some spectacularly abrupt breaches as well.

As noted, I haven't tried a lot of foils so the fact that I could quickly get the hang of the T1 was reassuring. But it was also clear I'm a long ways from dialing it in. I did get tired more quickly, which suggests to me my legs and feet were working overtime to figure it all out. The biggest shock, and probably the final straw with a purchase decision, was when I got back on my Lift Classic 170 and it felt like I was riding in sludge. At first I literally thought I had some seaweed or a fishing net wrapped around my foil because the drag was crazy. It felt like I was just going to get pulled off the board because the board couldn't keep up with me and the kite. Other than feeling the slipperiness of the Moses 800, I've never tried a foil that so clearly had low drag. Experiencing it back-to-back with the Lift was eye opening.

Anyway, big thanks to Joel! I don't know how long this particular flavor of kool-aid will keep me energized, but it has a ton of potential. It is a massive upgrade from what I've had with the Lift and what I've felt with the 633 or 799. It should be a great next step in my foiling adventure.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: