Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Smallest kite for Hood River?
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostSat Mar 26, 22 12:36 pm     Reply with quote

I carry a reel leash on my harness. I’ve used it a number of times to keep my foil from getting away while I deal with a kite problem or self rescue. Since the foil is going to head out downwind, it’s usually not an issue to catch. But if it’s a prolonged kite issue, you could still lose it. First thing, I go for the foil and get the leash on it. Now I’ve got the foil and both hands free to deal with the kite.

During the high flow time of the year, a twin tip that gets stuck straps down will be a challenge to catch. Same with a surf board. I bought a used go Joe and put it on my twin tip. It made sessions much less stressful. Saved me lots of body dragging in cold water. Sure, they look goofy, but it beats a long, losing, body drag. I’d try more new stuff instead of playing it safe.

Most times, a fall puts you downwind of your board. Combine that with a slow relaunch and a fast current….that twin tip can get a big head start. Don’t be shy about hollering for help. A little help and your board is back with you.

A spare leash or line with a clip is a good idea. Leashing you board to ride is a bad idea.

dobermankby

Since 07 Jul 2021
23 Posts

PostSat Mar 26, 22 4:49 pm     Reply with quote

I do have a gojoe, I agree that it makes the sessions much less stressful. Also as a beginner how I look is the least of my worries Smile
Maybe I didn't make it clear, I was only talking about leashing the board temporarily with a clip during a kite relaunch. I would never ride with a board leash.

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostSat Mar 26, 22 6:51 pm     Reply with quote

Yes exactly, temporary to secure the board to deal with any kite issues. Generally little risk to getting yarded and having the board skull you, but that risk is not non-existent either, so exercise prudence.

I switched to short leashes when they came out so had a number of long kite leashes lying around. Several folks I know do the same, or use old reel leashes for temporary holds, and I've body-dragged inverted kites all the way back to the sandbar from the hatch with the leash towing the board (the wind had backed off so I couldn't quite waterstart)... but I certainly don't recommend a habit of it. ;)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: