Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Uptick of thefts in Hood River and Mt Hood area

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostSat Feb 19, 22 5:13 pm    Uptick of thefts in Hood River and Mt Hood area Reply with quote

Hey guys :

An unfortunate update to share, but here at the shop (Pure Stoke) we have been hearing from customers locally that have been having car break-ins and sports equipment thefts, same with the Hood River Marina and on top of that calls from Meadows staff about thefts happening on the mountain from staff and customers.

Please be cautious out there. If you park with gear, have it stashed and out of sight. If you park on the street in front of your house, empty your rig and put the gear in the house. If you have a garage, keep it locked.

It's a bummer to relay this info, but being that it has been so much of a common daily discussion with locals this month, I thought it would be of value to relay via NW Kite.

www.Purestokesports.com

McLovin

Since 11 Sep 2017
278 Posts
Corbett
Obsessed

PostSat Feb 19, 22 8:50 pm    Sting Op Reply with quote

Thanks Pepi!

A valuable warning - as much as I have compassion for those in need, I have NO MERCY for those who would steal and a double bad karma for anyone stealing gear in da Hood...

It's a SMALL COMMUNITY - let's set up a STING OP with the HR Sheriff and we can let nature take it's course for a solid 3-7 years of rehabilitation for the offenders.

In the meantime keep it locked up - Video RING cams running 24/7 - backed up by Smith & Wesson and a crisp night vision scope.

There is NO REASON for us to tolerate this.

Mc

Classification for theft crimes in Oregon include the following:

Theft in the Third Degree: Class C Misdemeanor, less than $100 stolen.
Theft in the Second Degree: Class A Misdemeanor, more than $100 but less than $1,000 stolen.
Theft in the First Degree: Class C Felony, more than $1,000 stolen.
Aggravated Theft in the First Degree: Class B Felony, more than $10,000 stolen.

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostSun Feb 20, 22 5:21 am     Reply with quote

I organized a NEIGHBORHOOD WATCH program in White Salmon in 2005 after 5 houses got burglarized. I now have 200 resident’s signed up. I have their names, cell phone and email on my computer and everyone prints a hard copy for quick reference. I bought signs and booklets and let neighbors know when I will be out of town for extended periods. If they see suspicious activity they call me, if I don’t answer they call the police. There is a website to get all of the material. I also installed a camera doorbell and WYZE camera for the driveway to discourage porch pirates.

a.benjamin76

Since 27 Jul 2017
112 Posts

Stoked

PostSun Feb 20, 22 8:25 am    Thefts Reply with quote

Sorry to hear and thanks for spreading the info Pepi. It's the unfortunate truth that now a days the consequences for stealing or being in possession of hard drugs or vandalism are literally a slap on the wrist compared to jail time for sending your kid to the wrong school district...i digress... Lack of real consequences and accountability leads to this BS. Some simple advice is to limit the possibility of something in your car catching someone's eye. Use a sunshade even when it's not sunny, cover your kites with a big bland colored towel, lock your trunk, and write your name and number in sharpie somewhere on your gear.

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostMon Feb 21, 22 10:48 am     Reply with quote

Not to add fuel to the fire, but this topic I started does have me thinking that this summer we will want to all probably be much more responsible about not leaving spare gear on the beach or leaving our cars open/unlocked at the Event Site.

My daughter organizes a volunteer water front clean up group via the highschool each month and the amount of trash she is picking up has increased month by month over the years, very likely from our ever growing tourist population (most all of the garbage is take out containers/cups from the waterfront food/coffee businesses).

www.Purestokesports.com

lineman

Since 05 Feb 2009
170 Posts

Stoked

PostTue Mar 08, 22 7:27 pm     Reply with quote

Keep voting Democrat, if this keep up and people leaving in masses,I’ll finally be able to afford to move there!

IWantToFly

Since 29 Jul 2019
144 Posts

Stoked

PostTue Mar 08, 22 7:58 pm     Reply with quote

lineman wrote:
Keep voting Democrat, if this keep up and people leaving in masses,I’ll finally be able to afford to move there!

I’m confused. Sounds like you will leaving.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: