Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

neoprene gloves
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
dangler

Since 26 Feb 2006
1742 Posts
WINDY SPOTS
XTreme Poster

PostFri Dec 17, 21 8:25 pm    neoprene gloves Reply with quote

what are you using for winter kiting or winging. thinking I want 3m. Amazon not real helpful.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostFri Dec 17, 21 9:00 pm    Re: neoprene gloves Reply with quote

dangler wrote:
what are you using for winter kiting or winging. thinking I want 3m. Amazon not real helpful.

Following for sure. I have never found a great glove. Great booties? Atan Mistral, check. Great wetsuit? Oneil Psychofreak, check. Great drysuit? Kokatat, check. Great gloves which are flexible and warm? Sad It's always cold hands which drive me off the water.

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostFri Dec 17, 21 9:16 pm     Reply with quote

Airplane tickets south... Laughing

Seriously though, last winter I stopped by Mt. View Cycles and they had waterproof neoprene cycling gloves with pre-curved fingers for the handlebars. I think they were ~$50-60. They were toasty and fit me like a, well, I didn't grab them and they were out of my size when I went back, but I wish I'd have bought them for kiting. (Was thinking they actually be too hot for winter cycling so bought a lighter pair that's perfect).

Back when I did a lot more winter watersports (windsurfing), this'd be the ideal thing to wear under the loose yellow latex kitchen gloves we used to duct-tape at the cuffs.

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostFri Dec 17, 21 11:04 pm     Reply with quote

I use these for kiting through mid December, then shift to 5mm lobsters. I run cold. These run small, so size up in my experience. Whatever you use, it really helps to pour warm water into the gloves just before launching. You start with warm hands vs that first cold flush that is hard to recover from. I bring a thermos to the launch and do the pour there.

https://www.outdoorplay.com/NRS-Reactor-Rescue-Gloves-16

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostFri Dec 17, 21 11:11 pm     Reply with quote

shred_da_gorge wrote:
Airplane tickets south... Laughing

True dat! The countdown is running! Baja baby! Very Happy

Windian

Since 28 Apr 2008
880 Posts
Newport, OR
NEWPORT OG

PostSat Dec 18, 21 10:05 am     Reply with quote

I am not a big fan of going kiting or surfing in really cold air or water temps (below 50 degrees) especially relative to the ease of conditions above 50 degrees. For me having to where gloves has always been the make it or break it for deciding on a go-out here on the Oregon coast. I occasionally venture out in air temps in the upper forties, but conditions need to be worth the effort.

Rip Curl and Quiksilver both produced some electric wetsuit vests a few years back. A few of my surf friends bought them and raved about how good the vests worked, but the $200 cost always sidelined me as it was just an excuse to subject myself to bitter cold. And the vests did not solve the real cold weather problem of having my hands and fingers freeze up.

https://360guide.info/wetsuits/wet-review/rip-curl-h-bomb-heated-vest-review.html

It seems to me that this same battery powered technology could easily be developed for wetsuit gloves with a small lithium battery positioned on the back of the hand opposite the palm. I am sure the cost would be through the roof, but for the hardcore kiter wanting the icy cold session the electric gloves could be the answer for keeping and hands and fingers toasty.

jwnd

Since 22 Oct 2014
16 Posts
Bellingham

PostSat Dec 18, 21 2:11 pm     Reply with quote

I use Xcel 3mm gloves with some success, but get cold after an hour or so in low 40s to 30s. Sometimes I will add heatpack to back of glove but that binds up at times. Am now looking at Kokatat Inferno mitts but not sure of sizing as they are claimed to run small.
Used to stay extra toasty with drysuit and layering but hands still needed something. Now happy with winter suit for more flexibility despite a little less heat. Keeping noggin covered helps immensely.
Electric gloves for snowmobiling/skiing/paragliding have made big strides but not sure how they'd work being submerged. South of the border idea is best but not always feasible.

macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostSat Dec 18, 21 7:45 pm    Glacier gloves Reply with quote

Glacier Gloves curved (not the Kenai version) are 2 mm fleece lined and warm. They run large so I had to go a size down compared to O’Neill. They are a kind of windskin neoprene though so don’t expect a hundred sessions

Justsmile

Since 20 Jul 2009
1523 Posts
Not Portland
XTreme Poster

PostSun Dec 19, 21 8:49 am     Reply with quote

Glacier glove hands down. Articulated version. Best glove out there to keep your hands from tiring gripping!

kassak

Since 18 May 2010
107 Posts

Stoked

PostMon Dec 20, 21 2:45 am     Reply with quote

Open palm neoprene gloves have always worked well for me. I don’t kite much in cold weather but used to do a lot in southern New England when I lived there. The problem I experience as do many others when wearing neoprene gloves is that you subconsciously grip the bar very hard as a response to the lack of tactile feedback in your palms. This cause lots of fatigue on your forearms. The open palm gloves nearly eliminate this and provide a total wind shield for your hands and a nice covering on the non palmar aspect of your hand which is what gets easily cold.

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostMon Dec 20, 21 11:12 am     Reply with quote

i use these in 3.5 mil for diving and kiting any thicker they fatigue your hands - i get a season or two depending on how vicious the crabs are

Cressi Neoprene High Stretch Gloves : quality since 1946 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000O2PI9M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_BZSENWQQZGABWKZ94DWG?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

OG

Since 07 Jun 2011
533 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Dec 20, 21 12:15 pm     Reply with quote

i like xcel gloves for surfing, 3mm. i have 5mm, but they're so tight and restrictive i dont think blood flows to my fingers while i wear them.

For kiting, the additional material in my palm/grip on the bar always makes my hands sore. Ive thought about trying to use something like 'Versa Gripps' to do the work of holding the bar........as it turns out, i dont really like kiting in the winter that much and havent experimented with this idea. Maybe someone else will try it and give feedback.

sfbomber

Since 27 Jun 2012
112 Posts

Stoked

PostFri Dec 24, 21 6:04 am     Reply with quote

I am not of fan of neoprene gloves for kiting because of the loss of dexterity. But if I did to have wear a pair, my favorite for palm grip would be Rip Curl Dawn Patrol. They have 3mm or 5mm. I try to wear the thinnest possible. My next choice would be NRS Hydroskin gloves which come in 0.5 mm. NRS also has some 2mm options, but I haven't tried them. Another thin option is Xcel Anti glove which is 0.5 mm. But I found the anti-glove to be pretty fragile in terms of wear and tear.
My preferred option over neoprene is DarkFin Black O.P.S. gloves.
I was out for one session with my hands freezing in neoprene gloves and saw a guy coming in with no gloves. I commented aren't your hands cold. He said no and mentioned that since he started wearing a paddling jacket (worn over the wetsuit), his hands no longer get cold. I went out and bought one and concur, highly recommend if you hands are cold. Keeping your arms warm (from windchill) has a huge affect on the warmth of your hands.

McLovin

Since 11 Sep 2017
278 Posts
Corbett
Obsessed

PostFri Dec 24, 21 3:49 pm    Da Gloves Reply with quote

Timely thread - Merry Xmas

So far loved the O'neil Psycho 1.5mm for shoulder season almost feels like not wearing anything except your hands are warm when then normally wouldn't be...

Have used MYSTIC pre-curved 3mm with success but in the COLDEST of winter they weren't enough, they do come in a 5mm but felt like the grip closure on the 5mm was not comfy like the 3mm. A few times last season in a pinch wore the 1.5mm O'neils under the 3mm MYSTIC but that is a crude solution - mind you it did work tho...

Have ordered some glacier gloves as a result of this thread, may try those Darkskins too life is too short to have shitty gear...

will report after some on water trials with the new mitts - second the thought about keeping your core warm 1st - as a DRYSUIT guy this helps a TON - often get away without a beanie just my summer brimmed cap under the drysuit's hood is plenty. Same benefit to the hands - hence my typical 3mm gloves but that may just be the DRYSUIT talking...

Mc

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1724 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostSun Dec 26, 21 11:31 am     Reply with quote

for cold water kiting, I'm a big fan of these glacier gloves. TBH they wear down quick from your depower rope but they are comfortable and keep you pretty warm

https://glacierglove.com/perfect-curve-glove/

coepilot

Since 13 Jul 2016
19 Posts

PostWed Dec 29, 21 10:14 am    gloves Reply with quote

I use Vissla 3mm at the cast all winter long. The best ever! Never cold, great flexibility,

they run small, I have extra large. $50-$60 a pair. Get them at Clean Line Surf, Seaside or
Cannon Beach....or online from Clean line.

Highly Highly recommend I wear the 1 mil in the summer.

dangler

Since 26 Feb 2006
1742 Posts
WINDY SPOTS
XTreme Poster

PostSat Jan 01, 22 5:43 pm    gloves Reply with quote

Bought a pair of these cuz they were cheap. I will report back when I get a chance to try them. This arctic crap can't last all winter, an it?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000O2OC7Q/ref=sspa_dk_detail_1?psc=1p13NParams&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExQzVQOUxIUUdIMVhZJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMzYzODc1M1UySUsxR0IxMzlWTiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNDgwMjUyM09HMlZCRlJISVBIUSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2RldGFpbDImYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: