Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Theft in Portland - Thule roof box theft and kite gear

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Dern

Since 11 Jul 2010
544 Posts
Vancouver, WA
Addicted

PostTue Nov 16, 21 8:45 am    Theft in Portland - Thule roof box theft and kite gear Reply with quote

Someone jacked my new Thule box overnight (11/15 to 11/16) in NW Portland. If you see any of the following for sale please let me know:

board - Ocean Rodeo Poptart (blue, white)
board - Litewave Kick/carbon kick (white and black with a black waveform pattern on top)
harness - Mystic Majestic from a few years back, black + orange ish.
harness - Mystic Star Hybrid Kids - all black, waist section with spreader bar
Pump - ocean rodeo big pump, yellow

roof box - Silver/grey Thule Motion XT L TITAN with a Windance sticker on the back.

Police report has been filed, any other advice appreciated. The boards in particular are very easy to identify as I have seen very, very few people with these boards. As for the box, well, I am guessing it is not in one piece anymore after the removal from my roof.

Litewave carbon kick
 Litewave carbon kick  kick.jpg 
Ocean Rodeo poptart
 Ocean Rodeo poptart  poptart_1024x1024.jpg 
Mystic majestic harness 2019 orange
 Mystic majestic harness 2019 orange  96306_98f3b58841cafd96adef9e77991abaacc420a839__28816__60340__66080__38049__23201.1611775300.jpg 
Mystic star hybrid
 Mystic star hybrid  mystic-star-hybrid-kids-harness-83319.jpg 

Last edited by Dern on Tue Nov 16, 21 10:55 am; edited 1 time in total

McLovin

Since 11 Sep 2017
278 Posts
Corbett
Obsessed

PostTue Nov 16, 21 10:00 am    Theft! Reply with quote

Dern,

Sorry to hear the news - keep an eagle eye out on Craigslist - a buddy of mine had a bunch of kites/gear stolen last summer but was eventually able to find the offenders and worked with the Police to set up a sting/arrest --- so sometimes it works out --- hoping so.

There really can't be many of those boards around - post pics if you have ANY.

Mc

A.K.

Since 01 Jul 2006
190 Posts

Stoked

PostWed Nov 17, 21 12:26 am     Reply with quote

Bummer bro... The classic Thule/Yak box has served me well over the years and it is only rarely that I have every heard of a box break in. Sorry it happened to you. Crying or Very sad

Dern

Since 11 Jul 2010
544 Posts
Vancouver, WA
Addicted

PostWed Nov 17, 21 12:58 pm     Reply with quote

I am not sure if it was an actual break-in because the entire box was gone, but looks to be cleanly lifted from my vehicle. I suspect somebody had either a Thule master key or a full set of Thule keys to get into the box and fully detach it from the car without much effort. This really makes me question getting another box, if the box itself is going to be sought after by thieves.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostThu Nov 18, 21 10:37 am    Thieves SUCK! Reply with quote

Major bummer, Dern!

Why didn't you have that sweet drone of yours on motion detection mode so it could hover and take video of the septic tank scum?

I've often thought about what if's if a thief had a master key or a set of all keys Thule or Yakima makes.

Really there is only so much one can do . . . really sucks and what a hassle. Hopefully you have insurance. Even then, everyone gets hurt (except the insurance co's) as premiums go up.

Here is a suggestion and rather extreme.

Super glue your locks on your towers. Yes, long-term commitment. And get one of or two cable locks and strap those around your space case. You'll want to strap the cable in between the two sets of towers and cross bars. I'm talking about the super beefy and expensive bike lock types.

If the thief wants the box and or the contents of the box, he or she or they, will have to grind off the towers or the two cable locks. Or cut into the box somewhere else it to see if something might be inside--a big gamble with the amount of noise that would make; time I think not so much with the advent of battery operated power tools.

Bottom line, thieves SUCK!

kite_nomad

Since 10 Apr 2015
32 Posts

PostThu Nov 18, 21 10:51 am     Reply with quote

Bumming for ya Sad
I wouldn't rely on any rack lock system to much, this is the universal thule master key

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: