Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Tragedy turns to Euphoria

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
dangler

Since 26 Feb 2006
1742 Posts
WINDY SPOTS
XTreme Poster

PostSat Jul 24, 21 9:04 pm    Tragedy turns to Euphoria Reply with quote

Late afternoon wing ssession in Stevenson went pearshaped when my wing leash failed and my wing flew away. I was way downwind from where I started (total beginner) when I got my longest ride to date, halfway across the river. Thats when I lose my wing. LONG paddle in, hired Joe the kiter to go look on his jet ski, no luck cuz the Sternwheeler had already picked it up.(they cruised past me while I was paddling) Thanks to Joe and Martin for the help and THANKS TO THE STERNWHEELER CREW

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostSun Jul 25, 21 7:10 am     Reply with quote

Nice D!

Did it come back un harmed? Someone told me recently the Sternwheeler uses a mechanical grabber to get stuff out of the river and it left teeth marks on their board.

dangler

Since 26 Feb 2006
1742 Posts
WINDY SPOTS
XTreme Poster

PostSun Jul 25, 21 9:04 am    whaaa? Reply with quote

The Sternwheeler kiosk opens at 10'30 so going now to pick it up. Martin talked to them last nite and told me "they treated it like a man overboard drill" so I hope that doesn't involve the "jaws of life" and my NEW Slingywingy survived! Gotta get back to it as I have considerable case of "FOIL BRAIN"

Justsmile

Since 20 Jul 2009
1523 Posts
Not Portland
XTreme Poster

PostSun Jul 25, 21 11:48 am     Reply with quote

Glad to see you stoked to be back on the water. Seeing your enjoyment and smile on the water makes me really enjoy the water stoke. !! So much progress for you in a short time.

Marmot

Since 08 Aug 2007
99 Posts
Lyle, WA

PostSun Jul 25, 21 12:08 pm     Reply with quote

If you don't mind me asking, how did you become disconnected from your wing? I'm looking into different leash options, and I don't want to introduce a disconnected wing risk.

dangler

Since 26 Feb 2006
1742 Posts
WINDY SPOTS
XTreme Poster

PostSun Jul 25, 21 5:22 pm    leash failure Reply with quote

I put together a leash from OLD kiting bits. It didn't have a proper way to connect to the wing, so I used a short piece of line, spectra I think, to tie it on. used a square knot which came untied. Should have used a bowline knot but that could maybe untie as well sincce spectra is so slippery. No damage to my wing so the Sternwheeler crew are awesome.

dangler

Since 26 Feb 2006
1742 Posts
WINDY SPOTS
XTreme Poster

PostSun Jul 25, 21 5:27 pm    leashes Reply with quote

Also on leashes, hated the coiled wrist leash they come with. The wing can fly up and jack your shoulder. I hook to a waist harness. Actually its the waist strap from my backpacking pack.

Marmot

Since 08 Aug 2007
99 Posts
Lyle, WA

PostSun Jul 25, 21 7:21 pm     Reply with quote

That is for the info. Will avoid spectra.

As this sport is ramping up the gear tech, we're starting to see many options for leashes.

I just picked up the ION waist SUP leash from Big Winds. I'm planning to make a wing leash to attach to it, but I'd like to switch the leash between wings. I don't feel I can trust a standard carabineer.

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostSun Jul 25, 21 9:28 pm     Reply with quote

Maybe use something like this?

https://usrigging.com/stainless-steel-quick-link-chain-link-connector/?sku=KNG-600-05

Hein

Since 08 Mar 2005
1313 Posts

Possessed

PostSun Jul 25, 21 9:33 pm     Reply with quote

Great to hear you got your wing back.

My Ozone wings came with a leash made of thicker (6mm?) spectra with bungie cord inside and attached to a waist belt. Each wing has its own a leash attached. Can be used to wrap the wing when it's rolled up. They have been working great.

Also really like the Oceanic reel leash for the board. It has kept the board from coming after me during some of my more spectacular bailouts.

All the best,
Hein

danf

Since 12 Jun 2009
106 Posts

Stoked

PostTue Jul 27, 21 8:31 am     Reply with quote

I have used a double fisherman and a bowline will hold on Spectra and it holds. I usually fid a loop and larkshead on a knot (kite line attachment) and that works well.

Justsmile

Since 20 Jul 2009
1523 Posts
Not Portland
XTreme Poster

PostTue Jul 27, 21 10:41 am     Reply with quote

I see a rash of shoulder separations and dislocations coming with the wrist leash. It’s unavoidable when you get pulled on one appendage like that !!

Kraemer

Since 24 Apr 2006
1735 Posts
Sky Pilot
Unicorn Captain

PostTue Jul 27, 21 1:23 pm     Reply with quote

Stoked!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: