Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

PSA: Kiting in the smoke in the era of Covid-19.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostSat Sep 12, 20 8:02 am    PSA: Kiting in the smoke in the era of Covid-19. Reply with quote

Smoke levels are almost universally in the highest "Hazardous" range where we kite. You WILL do damage to your lungs if you get a session in this shit. If you catch Covid-19, you are GREATLY increasing your odds of dying, regardless of your age or normal health.

You would think this wouldn't even need to be said, but people are kiting. Please people, think. 2020 has sucked enough, I don't want to go to any more funerals.

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostSat Sep 12, 20 8:48 am     Reply with quote

When I saw videos of people kiting at the Event Site Yesterday I said to myself, " The Kiting Addiction is worse than heroin, people are doing it knowing that it is slowing killing them! I debated putting trash in my garbage can outside yesterday!

Here is a friends quote from Manzanita today, " The smoke seems to be several hundred feet overhead. No smokey smell or breathing issues. The sun is visible thru the overcast."

Last edited by moondog on Sat Sep 12, 20 10:20 am; edited 1 time in total

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostSat Sep 12, 20 9:59 am    Re: PSA: Kiting in the smoke in the era of Covid-19. Reply with quote

Nak wrote:
Smoke levels are almost universally in the highest "Hazardous" range where we kite. You WILL do damage to your lungs if you get a session in this shit. If you catch Covid-19, you are GREATLY increasing your odds of dying, regardless of your age or normal health.

You would think this wouldn't even need to be said, but people are kiting. Please people, think. 2020 has sucked enough, I don't want to go to any more funerals.

You should also probably start shaming cigarette smokers then too. And obese people, since the are at highest risk of death from covid. And anyone eating unhealthy food, since cardiovascular disease is the #1 killer.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostSat Sep 12, 20 10:48 am    Re: PSA: Kiting in the smoke in the era of Covid-19. Reply with quote

user124 wrote:

You should also probably start shaming cigarette smokers then too.

I'm not trying to shame anybody. If someone gets a session in, they're not hurting anybody but themselves. Their health, their choice. I'm just hoping to make people think about what they're doing. I like almost everybody here, and I don't want to see any more tragedy this year if I can avoid it. I think it's possible that some are doing outside stuff right now without thinking about the extra ramifications due to covid. If you've considered the risk and want to kite, have at it! Me, I think it's pretty easy to lay low for a couple of days.

Not trying to offend, just caring about the folks here.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostSat Sep 12, 20 1:53 pm     Reply with quote

Read this and bear in mind that we've seen numbers over 600 around many of our kite spots.

https://grist.org/climate/oregons-air-quality-is-so-far-beyond-hazardous-that-no-one-knows-what-it-means-for-health/?utm_campaign=sprout&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_content=1599849595&fbclid=IwAR21xw4oHQQHqLZQsLgck_B1QekGqGHEVcwDPd1XHYaZy7KHpb_zvryMtoo

McLovin

Since 11 Sep 2017
278 Posts
Corbett
Obsessed

PostSun Sep 13, 20 12:36 am    DIY Air Filter Reply with quote

Thanks NAK,

We are not going out - too smokey - just my .02

Here is a simple idea to help - not sure how many you would need to make a difference, but a buddy of mine down in the Bay area is a super nerd and claims his made a measurable improvement - so may be worth a try.

https://youtu.be/9vJk5BM8xUo

We have a couple going 24 x 7

Mc

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostSun Sep 13, 20 8:17 am     Reply with quote

The box fan filter totally works. I've got six of them scattered throughout my house. Any filter you can get, ideally Merv 13 or higher. Size doesn't matter, you can tape them together Apollo 13 style. (Filters are getting hard to come by.) Thicker filters mean more airflow, higher Merv means smaller particle filtering. Merv 15 would be awesome. My Merv 12's though have made a huge difference.

20200913_091149 (Custom).jpg 

cathy o.

Since 11 Aug 2014
81 Posts

PostSun Sep 13, 20 10:07 am     Reply with quote

made this when the Eagle Creek fire was burning... might need to configure more for now and future fires... Sad

IMG_6016x.jpg 

McLovin

Since 11 Sep 2017
278 Posts
Corbett
Obsessed

PostSun Sep 13, 20 11:46 am    2.5 days of use Reply with quote

Check out the gunk from just a few days of filtering INSIDE AIR ONLY on this filter...

Guess it's working - but if this is inside air - think about your lungs and maybe don't take them outside for a bit...

PSA over.

Mc

2020-09-13_12-45-28.png 

IWantToFly

Since 29 Jul 2019
144 Posts

Stoked

PostMon Sep 14, 20 9:38 am    Re: PSA: Kiting in the smoke in the era of Covid-19. Reply with quote

user124 wrote:
Nak wrote:

You should also probably start shaming cigarette smokers then too. And obese people, since the are at highest risk of death from covid. And anyone eating unhealthy food, since cardiovascular disease is the #1 killer.

The thing is, most of those people going out to feed their kiting addiction would never smoke, are not obese, and eat pretty healthy. In fact, those people would largely say all of those behaviors are stupidly unhealthy.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostMon Sep 14, 20 11:02 am     Reply with quote

Here's Mark's filter. Two days use, inside.

119415108_10220114740711398_2564667208989254948_n.jpg 

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostMon Sep 14, 20 2:23 pm     Reply with quote

Ace in the Heights sold out of filters, got an order in last night, and I'm told had a small line at opening this morning to buy them.

Good luck finding box fans in the gorge right now though...

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostMon Sep 14, 20 2:57 pm     Reply with quote

Not to add to the health drama drum thumping, but smoking has nothing on the levels of damage that these air particles are able to cause you right now.

The particles that we are experiencing are not just ash from burnt wood, that stuff has fallen out of the sky mostly. What it has left behind in the air are the very small and very physically damaging micro particles that you inhale in and absorb not necessarily into your lungs, but absorb into your tissue and bloodstream, and your body is not able to break it down or ever remove it.
This stuff stays in your body forever and causes high levels of long term health risk, such as cancer or any other nasty ass life shortening autoimmune issues you might otherwise not wish your worst enemy.

The micro particles can be very deceiving because they do not "feel" as bad as denser ash/smoke, and that is a very big problem, in that many people develop a lax feeling of concern if the air does not "feel" that bad, or seems less dusty as when we had the Eagle Creek Fires.

People are going to do what they want to do, but please be careful our there and, hey, if you don't absolutely have to be outside, then don't go outside.
It'll all be there next week.

www.Purestokesports.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: