Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Gorge Wetsuit Choice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
WindLogik

Since 09 Feb 2009
95 Posts
Hood River

PostTue Aug 25, 20 11:52 am    Gorge Wetsuit Choice Reply with quote

Getting back into kiteboarding. I will be buying one full wetsuit. I have a shorty that I will use for the warmer portion of the season, but I need a full one too. The season for me is from tax day (mid april during a normal year) to mid october, west winds only. The choice is between a 5/4 or a 4/3. Thoughts?

Thumb's Up

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostTue Aug 25, 20 12:15 pm     Reply with quote

April and May have the snowmelt factor.

Go for a 5/4 hooded. Ripcurl, Patagucci are both good quality brands and great customer service.

And a 5/4 hooded will cover you for the times you go coastal.

Bargeslayer

Since 08 Jul 2012
100 Posts

Stoked

PostTue Aug 25, 20 1:12 pm     Reply with quote

A 5/4 with a hood will be a solid choice for much of the spring and fall. I like having the hood to protect my face a little bit from cold wind. I have had an Xcel hooded 5/4 that has lasted me for several seasons now. Highly recommend.

Marcus O

Since 30 May 2018
98 Posts

PostTue Aug 25, 20 2:17 pm     Reply with quote

Bargeslayer wrote:
A 5/4 with a hood will be a solid choice for much of the spring and fall. I like having the hood to protect my face a little bit from cold wind. I have had an Xcel hooded 5/4 that has lasted me for several seasons now. Highly recommend.

Agree on the Xcel hooded suits! I have a 5.5./4.5 comp x that keeps me super toasty during early spring and most of fall in the gorge and then winter at the coast. I'd stay away from their non-hooded suits, though. That glide skin collar comes apart really fast, or at least for me it does. I've had two 4/3's and a 2m all with the same issue. Maybe the sunscreen I use somehow causes the neck to deteriorate? I think you'd get too warm in a 5/4 after May. Maybe add a cheap 4/3 or 3/2 and you'd be set. Best to not skimp on quality when it comes to the 5/4.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostTue Aug 25, 20 2:55 pm     Reply with quote

Marcus O wrote:
Bargeslayer wrote:

Agree on the Xcel hooded suits! I have a 5.5./4.5 comp x that keeps me super toasty during early spring and most of fall in the gorge and then winter at the coast.

I'm cold blooded and so I like to be warm. If I get hot in the late spring on the river, I'll just plop-down and soak for a bit to cool off.

You yourself said you plan on big days out at 3 mile and Rufus. Spring time produces those days and it is f#ing cold then with the wind chill.

As said before, don't skimp on a hooded 5/4, go for quality because basically your life could depend upon it.

WindLogik

Since 09 Feb 2009
95 Posts
Hood River

PostTue Aug 25, 20 3:25 pm     Reply with quote

Anyone try the new suits from Ride Engine??

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostTue Aug 25, 20 3:44 pm     Reply with quote

I'm a big fan of Ride Engine suits; I use a 2-mil shorty and 4/3 hoodless. I also have a Pro Motion "storm shorty" (covers knees) that comes in handy as a 'tweener'.

Since I also ride in California and Texas but not much on the coast (yet) my strategy is lighter suits with layering, so I have Pro Motion neoprene shorts and jersey or an older Neil Pryde 'titanium' 1-mil johnnie to squeeze unederneath, and this season added a Mystic neoprene hoodie as a pullover, but I think the others have the right idea with a 'pull-under' because the hoodie flops around and also limits visibility and turns out better as an onshore layer between sessions.

If I remember correctly you'll mostly be kiting eastern gorge, maybe as far west as Rufus? Keep in mind the runoff river flows make things difficult in early season, so one caution may be not to "over-suit" then discover by the time the river tames enough for comfortable riding the water temps may be 65+ and air temps in mid-70s. In my opinion a hooded 5-mil seems a bit heavy for the short time you may use it, but YMMV - coast riding folks and year-round corridor junkies may have a conflicting view. ;)

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostTue Aug 25, 20 4:21 pm     Reply with quote

I am a huge RideEngine suit fan. They are built really well. My Hoodless 5/4 is on it's 3rd season and I kite a lot--as in, a lot a lot...

I get cold.

I highly recommend a FRONT ZIP 5/4 with hood and fuzzy stuff inside. I picked that up last fall in addition to my 5/4 rear zip hoodless.

Eric

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostTue Aug 25, 20 4:41 pm     Reply with quote

Eric, a friend told me today you have been doing 7 hour sessions, is there any truth to that claim, you animal?

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostTue Aug 25, 20 5:12 pm     Reply with quote

There's a lot to be said for a custom fit suit from Pro-motion. Go in, get measured and have a suit that fits perfect a few weeks later. I love mine.

I go hoodless; when it's cold enough for a hood I switch to a dry-suit.

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostTue Aug 25, 20 6:00 pm     Reply with quote

Stuff that fits me in the fall don't seem to fit me in the spring! ;)

Jonpnw

Since 22 Jul 2010
1322 Posts
Pacific Northwest
XTreme Poster

PostTue Aug 25, 20 7:05 pm    5/4 Ride Engine Reply with quote

I switched from Hotline to RideEngine ! The material / flexibility / warmth is superb . 👍🏽

Join the Columbia Gorge Water Sports Association. http://gorgewindsurfing.org/

WindLogik

Since 09 Feb 2009
95 Posts
Hood River

PostThu Aug 27, 20 2:12 pm     Reply with quote

Interesting graph... At TD
April - 45 °F
May - 53 °F
June - 60 °F

USGS.14105700.116759.00010..20190101.20191201..0..gif 

GreasyRick

PostSun Aug 30, 20 3:13 pm     Reply with quote

Do the 4/3. Don't let the hype get you down. I got a 5/4 and have regretted it in the middle of December. Come at me you chilly willy dress for the swimmys.

scottm

Since 12 Jun 2006
108 Posts

Stoked

PostWed Sep 02, 20 8:40 am     Reply with quote

I have a full quiver of wetsuits, and if I had to pick just one, it would be a 4/3 chest zip hoody from Xcel, Ride Engine, or ProMotion. On the really cold days you can wear a long sleeve rash guard under it, booties, and a 2mm neoprene vest, or impact vest, over it. And on the warm days, barefoot and hood down.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostThu Sep 03, 20 10:34 am     Reply with quote

scottm wrote:
I have a full quiver of wetsuits, and if I had to pick just one, it would be a 4/3 chest zip hoody from Xcel, Ride Engine, or ProMotion. On the really cold days you can wear a long sleeve rash guard under it, booties, and a 2mm neoprene vest, or impact vest, over it. And on the warm days, barefoot and hood down.

I already gave my advice on what to get taking in where the guy is going to ride and times of year he will be there. He likes swell and is coming from tri-cities area. So he mostly will be riding longer sessions as he is traveling and will hit early spring nukie conditions out at swell locations in the east gorge.

I run cold-blooded and ride in the ocean mainly. I too own a 4/3 full length, a 2 mil shorty, and a 5/4 hooded.

I really have no dog in this fight.

Sure you can put on multiple layers, but it takes time; time away from kiting. In the past I've put a shorty on under my full wetsuit and it was a pain, not to mension it stretched out the seams of my full suit. Yes it provided extra warmth and so does an impact vest (mostly cuts the wind chill, not water chill when one is submersed).

Imho get a new toasty 5/4 hooded and go buy a cheaper used 4/3 when it gets warmer.

If $ isn't an issue get both brand new and a shortie.

WindLogik

Since 09 Feb 2009
95 Posts
Hood River

PostThu Sep 03, 20 11:02 am     Reply with quote

I really don't want to layer. The cost of layers adds up, and I like to be naked under the suit. I will be targeting 3 mile, rufus, and the corridor. Yes, targeting swell, so on.

Thinking a 5/4 hooded.

So, I hit the event site and then Rufus last week for my first sessions in four years. Had a blast!! I could still fly a 6m kite and jibe a strapped surfboard, no problem. So happy to be back at it. Thanks for all of the help in the forum.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: