Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Advice Needed - Kite Purchased Here Came Damaged
Page 1, 2  Next

previous topic :: next topic  
thefinalsound

Since 27 Jun 2008
8 Posts
Poulsbo, WA
Kook

PostSat Aug 01, 20 12:17 pm    Advice Needed - Kite Purchased Here Came Damaged Reply with quote

Need advice. Bought a kite on here from a seller with a long comment/post history, claiming to be a kite repair guy. The kite was listed as a 2014 RPM in “very good condition”.

It arrived in condition that in my opinion is not “very good”. It had an undisclosed major repair to a strut near the leading edge, many pinholes some of which were taped, others not, scuffs deep enough to cut through threads in some places, and a gash that cut through the canopy.

See attached pictures of the original ad and pictures I took of the kite.

Am I crazy for thinking this is not a kite in very good condition? Had I known it was like this I certainly would not have purchased it. I have asked to return the kite for a refund, and even offered to cover return shipping, though my only fault was trusting the seller at their word and not asking for detailed photos.

The seller is refusing to refund my money. He offered to send sail tape, or kick in $25 to probably 40 or 50 to cover the repair locally. The thing is that I have no expertise or interest in kite repair. My interest is getting what I paid for, a kite in very good condition, not one with a sketchy repair done by myself.

As far as local professional repairs, I live across the water from Seattle where it would be repaired. That’s a $50 round trip on the ferry just to get to the shop. If they could repair while I waited I’d be looking at the $50 for travel plus the $25-$50 for the repair. If I had to leave it then it’s a $100 round trip plus the repair fee. If I ship it I’m looking at $25 each way, so $50 for shipping plus whatever the repair costs, so $75-$100. And to be honest once the canopy tear is repaired I would struggle to describe the kite as in very good condition with all the other heavy scuffs and previous repairs, so all this work on my part just to end up with a kite in worse condition than I thought anyways.

I consider myself an honest person and would detail the actual condition of the kite were I to sell it. Would I be able to get out of it what I paid? I highly doubt it. Why should I be stuck with the result of a seller’s negligence or dishonesty?

At this point I’m considering submitting a fraud claim to PayPal to get my money back. In text messages the guy has been jerk, dismissing the damage as nothing more than mere scuffs. If they are nothing significant than why wouldn't he do the honest thing, accept the return and relist the kite with an accurate description?

IMG_7646.jpeg 
   IMG_7604.jpeg 
   IMG_7603.jpeg 
   IMG_7596.jpeg 
   IMG_7578.jpeg 

clayallover

Since 17 May 2017
82 Posts

PostSat Aug 01, 20 12:42 pm    not fair Reply with quote

go to paypal they should refund you. make sure you show them all the texts and ad the kite was sold with.. good luck.. it a shame as most people on here are selling good kites or they sell old kites cheap. how much did you pay and where is the seller from. cheers

thefinalsound

Since 27 Jun 2008
8 Posts
Poulsbo, WA
Kook

PostSat Aug 01, 20 12:58 pm    Re: not fair Reply with quote

clayallover wrote:
go to paypal they should refund you. make sure you show them all the texts and ad the kite was sold with.. good luck.. it a shame as most people on here are selling good kites or they sell old kites cheap. how much did you pay and where is the seller from. cheers

Thanks. The kite was $275 plus $35 for shipping, the seller is a very regular poster here, he's local to Hood River.

I had offered to cover return shipping, but since I'm not at fault and he's unwilling to stand behind his sale like an honest guy I don't think I'll pay for that anymore.

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
332 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostSat Aug 01, 20 2:42 pm     Reply with quote

I'm not sure what you expect for a $275 kite that is 6 years old. The price doesn't seem unfair even with the pinholes and scuff/tear. And if the seller were to kick in another $50, that's a pretty good deal for $225. Personally I would not opt for a professional repair on a kite of that age. A piece of sail tape would definitely suffice as a functional repair and last the life of the kite.

That said, if there is disagreement on the described condition of the kite the seller should accept the return, particularly if you are willing to cover the shipping. Also, the seller should realize Paypal will in all likelihood side with the buyer (as they often do) so it would be in their best interest to make things right by you.

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1611 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostSat Aug 01, 20 3:32 pm     Reply with quote

Regardless of what you paid, this kite is not in “very good condition.” The kite is “well used in need of a small repairs.” I don’t feel you are being unreasonable to expect the kite to match the description, regardless of price.

thefinalsound

Since 27 Jun 2008
8 Posts
Poulsbo, WA
Kook

PostSat Aug 01, 20 3:39 pm     Reply with quote

user124 wrote:
I'm not sure what you expect for a $275 kite that is 6 years old. The price doesn't seem unfair even with the pinholes and scuff/tear. And if the seller were to kick in another $50, that's a pretty good deal for $225. Personally I would not opt for a professional repair on a kite of that age. A piece of sail tape would definitely suffice as a functional repair and last the life of the kite.

That said, if there is disagreement on the described condition of the kite the seller should accept the return, particularly if you are willing to cover the shipping. Also, the seller should realize Paypal will in all likelihood side with the buyer (as they often do) so it would be in their best interest to make things right by you.

I appreciate your reply. I've bought older kites before from people who barely used them, which can mean that an 8 year old kite used 3 times has more lifespan left than a two year old kite used for 1 whole season. If this guy said "very good condition for its age" I would have asked a few follow up questions for sure, but he just said "very good" as an absolute unqualified description.

If he were honest about it I straight up wouldn't have bought it and moved on to other options. It's frustrating to me that he won't own up to his mistake (which could be forgivable if took care of it) or to his dishonest representation of its condition and further gaslighting, as if I'm the crazy one for thinking a kite in very good condition shouldn't have unaddressed tears in it. I'm leaning towards the Paypal claim.

pollywog

Since 07 Aug 2009
256 Posts

Obsessed

PostSat Aug 01, 20 5:09 pm     Reply with quote

It’s easy to recognize what you’re attempting to do... go to the guys hometown forum, talk smack while secretly hoping to cause HIM enough personal anguish he’ll relent. Grow some cojones and handle this crap in private. I’m sure the seller will appreciate you trying to harm his livelihood in his home area. Smooth.... real nice guy when your trying to disguise yourself as ignorant and in need of advice....

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
332 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostSat Aug 01, 20 5:18 pm     Reply with quote

thefinalsound wrote:
user124 wrote:

I appreciate your reply. I've bought older kites before from people who barely used them, which can mean that an 8 year old kite used 3 times has more lifespan left than a two year old kite used for 1 whole season. If this guy said "very good condition for its age" I would have asked a few follow up questions for sure, but he just said "very good" as an absolute unqualified description.

If he were honest about it I straight up wouldn't have bought it and moved on to other options. It's frustrating to me that he won't own up to his mistake (which could be forgivable if took care of it) or to his dishonest representation of its condition and further gaslighting, as if I'm the crazy one for thinking a kite in very good condition shouldn't have unaddressed tears in it. I'm leaning towards the Paypal claim.

Yeah sounds like the seller is being dishonest and difficult, which is too bad. Paypal claim seems like the best choice at this point.

thefinalsound

Since 27 Jun 2008
8 Posts
Poulsbo, WA
Kook

PostSat Aug 01, 20 6:00 pm     Reply with quote

pollywog wrote:
It’s easy to recognize what you’re attempting to do... go to the guys hometown forum, talk smack while secretly hoping to cause HIM enough personal anguish he’ll relent. Grow some cojones and handle this crap in private. I’m sure the seller will appreciate you trying to harm his livelihood in his home area. Smooth.... real nice guy when your trying to disguise yourself as ignorant and in need of advice....

Wow you uncovered my sinister plan, to shame someone by not naming them or giving up identifying information!

But yes I'm clearly the villain here, I'm the one using this forum to pawn off beat up kites by misrepresenting their condition, then refusing to own up to their mistake/dishonesty. Oh wait no, actually that wasn't me, that's your buddy, Mr Used Car Salesman of kites.

I came here asking for help on how to navigate this situation as I've yet to come across a shitty person like this in the kite community. New territory for me really, but thanks for your contribution.

martyman

Since 29 Dec 2013
50 Posts

PostSat Aug 01, 20 6:18 pm    kite Reply with quote

You got a kite for $275 that retails for like ...$1500. Shipping is your own cost too bear. You did fine on the deal- pump it up, fly it, crash it, fly it carry on with life dude. If it was $500 i might be inclined to say something but seems like your being a bit of a goof.

thefinalsound

Since 27 Jun 2008
8 Posts
Poulsbo, WA
Kook

PostSat Aug 01, 20 7:43 pm    Re: kite Reply with quote

martyman wrote:
You got a kite for $275 that retails for like ...$1500. Shipping is your own cost too bear. You did fine on the deal- pump it up, fly it, crash it, fly it carry on with life dude. If it was $500 i might be inclined to say something but seems like your being a bit of a goof.

So you shouldn't mind a seller misrepresenting what you are getting as long as they are giving you a good deal?

a.benjamin76

Since 27 Jul 2017
62 Posts

PostSat Aug 01, 20 7:56 pm    Description Reply with quote

The description is key irrelevant of the price. The guy did not disclose two major issues with the kite. Anytime i buy or sell kites using paypal, i always include a detailed description if I'm buying or selling, that the other party agrees to. On paypal, If the item is not in that condition of the description that you both agreed to, you're entitled to your money back, no questions. Maybe the seller forgot about these issues but he should refund or credit you. He's definitely in the wrong

martyman

Since 29 Dec 2013
50 Posts

PostSun Aug 02, 20 7:40 am    Re: kite Reply with quote

[quote="martyman"]You got a kite for $275 that retails for like ...$1500. Shipping is your own cost too bear. You did fine on the deal- pump it up, fly it, crash it, fly it carry on with life dude. If it was $500 i might be inclined to say something but seems like your being a bit ...reactive.

All that said and done-he should have mentioned the repair.

NoHater

Since 03 Jun 2019
6 Posts
Oahu, HI
Kook

PostSun Aug 02, 20 2:07 pm     Reply with quote

Take the $50 from the dude and fix it yourself. You should expect the valves to be leaking soon anyway. Ive got two 2014 SS kites I fly all the time and have replaced all the valves on both. If the rest of the material is in "good condition" then you still got a reasonable deal.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1278 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostSun Aug 02, 20 3:21 pm     Reply with quote

IMO - that's about as blatant a misrepresentation as I've seen on this forum.
The seller should be ashamed.
Selling a kite with a 2 inch gash in it is not cool - at any price - unless they are honest about it.

When you paid thru Paypal - did you pay person to person or do it as a purchase where Paypal took a percentage?
If you did it as a purchase - file a fraud claim and see if you get compensated.

If you did it person to person - you would not be covered.

grigorib

Since 19 Sep 2017
53 Posts

PostSun Aug 02, 20 4:15 pm     Reply with quote

I wonder if you get your money back, would you find anything comparable at the price given that repair is like $20 extra which seller should honor?

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
332 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostSun Aug 02, 20 5:19 pm     Reply with quote

As an aside, this is one of the reasons I love Windance and their used gear consignment. For me it's well worth the small fee they charge to avoid the hassle of buying and selling via forum.

I have no connection to Windance other than I am a frequent customer and I think it's a great shop.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> For Sale All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: