Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Event Site to remain closed for Memorial Day weekend
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostTue May 19, 20 11:10 am     Reply with quote

Isolating the vulnerable and restricting travel prevent spread but don't contribute to immunity. Scientists are already seeing rapid mutations and don't fully understand our immune response to this disease yet. My point is not to assume we can treat it like other diseases where we deal with some innocuous symptoms while we spread it around and eventually get used to it. Reinfection rates and post-recovery syndromes aren't understood yet.

shreddr

Since 04 Jun 2011
12 Posts
Gisborne NZ

PostTue May 19, 20 11:11 am     Reply with quote

The event site will not reopen until Oregon goes into Phase 2, you can write all the letters you want.

The port should have someone checking IDs down at the spit access and if you aren't local, you shouldn't be able to park.

Tourism is vital to our community but last weekend was ridiculous; my wife talked to a couple friends who are business owners downtown who said that it was as busy as FOURTH OF JULY!

We should be sending the message: if you don't live here, YOU DON'T KITE HERE (for now).

There is a reason lessons aren't being offered by the schools, there is a reason the event site is closed...

STAY HOME PORTLAND!

If I don't know or recognize you, I'm not launching or landing you.

Time to wax some motherfucking windows. Twisted Evil

GreasyRick

PostTue May 19, 20 12:25 pm     Reply with quote

I heard the virus doesn't travel through urine so I should be good to do my usual routine of having all my buddies piss on me while discussing our latest sprinter-van modifications and the merits of the newest one-wheels and this years lightest foil.

NOW NOW I know what you're thinking, they can't possibly properly get their urine all over my head the way I like it from 6 feet + away. I've thought how to combat this, I'll simply jerk all my friends off to the point that they have boners (with gloves on obviously), this way they can still soak me in that sweet sweet golden liquid from a safe distance.

-Rick

GreasyRick

PostTue May 19, 20 12:28 pm     Reply with quote

shreddr wrote:
The event site will not reopen until Oregon goes into Phase 2, you can write all the letters you want.

The port should have someone checking IDs down at the spit access and if you aren't local, you shouldn't be able to park.

Tourism is vital to our community but last weekend was ridiculous; my wife talked to a couple friends who are business owners downtown who said that it was as busy as FOURTH OF JULY!

We should be sending the message: if you don't live here, YOU DON'T KITE HERE (for now).

There is a reason lessons aren't being offered by the schools, there is a reason the event site is closed...

STAY HOME PORTLAND!

If I don't know or recognize you, I'm not launching or landing you.

Time to wax some motherfucking windows. Twisted Evil

I've lived here for 5 years but I'll be sure to tell everyone I'm up for the day from Portland, while coughing into their mouth, just to piss off the local hood river elites.

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostTue May 19, 20 1:12 pm     Reply with quote

Signage and user health responsibility guidelines will be the most critically important item for communicating a clear plan of guidelines for visitors to follow and abide by.
This is a very visible user location and if rules are flagrantly violated, we all know that this place would experience an immediate shutdown by the County and/or State.

Tourists travel to leave the worries of daily life at home and desire to travel someplace else to enjoy freedom and lack of restraint. This was quite evident in the actions and activities we witnessed this past weekend with the reopening of the Gorge during Phase 1.

Although I avoided riding on land or water in town this weekend, I was still not able to avoid the influx with people parking their vehicles in our driveway trying to circumvent the Post Canyon riding requirements.

The takeaway I have from this is that people will come to the Gorge no matter what and telling people that everything is closed will not prevent them from attempting to find a way to be here and ride even closed areas.

This being said, I think that if the Port considers reopening, there needs to be a well balanced level of rules and guidelines made that are crystal clear about what you need to do to use the Event Site and if you do not, then you lose your privileges. Same as a ski resort (or even could be exactly the same as how Timberline is running their resort right now with a visitor registration procedure).

www.Purestokesports.com

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostTue May 19, 20 2:01 pm     Reply with quote

Pepi wrote:

The takeaway I have from this is that people will come to the Gorge no matter what and telling people that everything is closed will not prevent them from attempting to find a way to be here and ride even closed areas.

Very true. People also will not follow rules that don't make any sense, and it's obvious to everyone that mountain biking in the woods or standing on a sunny beach is not a risky activity for covid spread. People see right through the self-interested ploys of locals that just want to keep the crowds of visitors away from their favorite nearby public areas and will just ignore this nonsense as well (and apparently are already doing so).

I haven't been to Hood River for months but my guess is you guys are in for a shit show and a lot of frustration until the local authorities figure out how to open most outdoor spots and safely manage and spread out the usual memorial day to labor day crowds. Keeping only some areas closed or open only to locals will just concentrate the visitors in other areas and/or cause problems with people breaking the rules (many of which are probably not enforceable anyway).

pollywog

Since 07 Aug 2009
289 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue May 19, 20 4:17 pm     Reply with quote

^^^ that’s right. The rules don’t make sense. It sounds silly trying to make sense out of the senseless.

I am glad tho I’m not in charge of making the rules because you can’t please people and you have to make rules for the lowest common denominators aka jackasses. Those rules are bound to be ridiculous. I find the localism Crap to be precious. How many of Gorge locals have traveled to Portland during the epidemic? Somehow they think they’re immune to the disease because they don’t have big case numbers in their home towns? So typical... “please shut the door to MY town once I’ve arrived”. This virus just shows how silly people are when it comes to being “local”.

There are going to be crowds on Memorial Day. How about the locals stay home and protect themselves and their community? Let the shit show begin...

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostTue May 19, 20 6:01 pm     Reply with quote

May 19 update.
Event Site will remain closed thru Memorial Day weekend - the Port is targeting an opening of the Event Site later next week (5/27).
Sandbar access is available via the Spit.
Kites can also launch from the Marina.
The Sandbar is getting smaller and smaller.....

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostTue May 19, 20 6:05 pm     Reply with quote

Before everyone blames the "non-locals" too much... I've received emails from four Hood River businesses announcing Hood River was open and to come on out. If locals aren't ready for visitors then y'all should get everyone on the same page. Just saying.

wannabekiter

Since 14 May 2015
269 Posts
Hood river
Obsessed

PostTue May 19, 20 6:34 pm    Emal Reply with quote

Hey Nak, please name those company's so we can boycott them.
I am a small business owner but do NOT encourage people to come to town.
In fact i tell them to find someone to help them in portland.
Screw the money

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostTue May 19, 20 7:35 pm    Re: Emal Reply with quote

wannabekiter wrote:
Screw the money

Wannabe, could you please name your small business so we can make sure no one from out of town comes and bothers you? You've made it abundantly clear you don't like non-locals.

ay

Since 11 Oct 2008
109 Posts
HR - ME
Stoked

PostTue May 19, 20 8:14 pm    Re: Emal Reply with quote

user124 wrote:
wannabekiter wrote:
Screw the money

Wannabe, could you please name your small business so we can make sure no one from out of town comes and bothers you? You've made it abundantly clear you don't like non-locals.

This has nothing to do with localism but rather out of town amateur scientists who have zero respect for the health of the local community.

Great to hear the Port made a smart decision in line with local and state guidance.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostWed May 20, 20 8:02 am    Re: Emal Reply with quote

wannabekiter wrote:
Screw the money

Wow. That just sounds like a really bad idea. Rather than feed divisiveness with something negative, maybe do something positive. Get together with your elected leaders and your chamber of commerce and come up with a unified plan of how your town is going to deal with the re-opening and visitors. Get everyone in your own town on the same page. Get the word out in a positive manner. Posting negativity on nwKite really isn't going to help. We all here know how our friends in Hood River feel and I'm guessing you aren't going to see many of us in town anytime soon.

Go to Salem and demand Kate Brown issue better guidance that is less ambiguous. Present a unified front. Get the word out to Portland that you're not ready. Be positive.

Jonpnw

Since 22 Jul 2010
1322 Posts
Pacific Northwest
XTreme Poster

PostWed May 20, 20 8:31 am    ES - Lot 1 Reply with quote

I watched the Port meeting last night via Zoom/Youtube and it sounds like they will try to open the event site in a controlled safe manner sometime next week. The State of Oregon mandates that if a park is open and restrooms are provided the restrooms must be serviced twice a day . The port did not feel they were adequately prepared for this weekend. It was discussed that Lot 1 (gravel lot) could be open next week to pass holders and kiters / windsurfers could utilize the grass for rigging / launching and landing . If crowds start mingling on the grass and in the parking lot without physical distancing they will shut it down ! So when it does open we will all have to responsible and self police it .

Join the Columbia Gorge Water Sports Association. http://gorgewindsurfing.org/

dirtybackside

Since 02 Aug 2011
72 Posts
Hood River

PostThu May 21, 20 9:36 am     Reply with quote

Maybe on the busy weekends instead of checking ID's to make it's locals only at the spit, we instead show birth certificates and you have to be born at Hood River Memorial Laughing

I love the high water and hope it stays for the weekend. Nothing like standing below the peanut gallery at the spit waiting for A Train to yell at you as soon as you drop your kite. Those were the days. I was super young and barely remember anyone down there at those times. I do remember the limo with the stripper pole inside. A 14 year old can't forget that!

Campbell

Since 07 Sep 2008
409 Posts
Camas, WA
Obsessed

PostThu May 21, 20 5:46 pm    Portlanders “non locals”?? Reply with quote

What so the guys who make the drive out from Portland to support HR restaurants, gas stations, KITE SHOPS, etc, etc aren’t welcome in HR cause we’re not “local” enough for you? Up until this it always felt like we were part of the same community. Now it’s “stay the fuck at home”? I never really felt the “locals only” vibe in HR, but from my perspective there are some coming off like real douchebags right now and the next time I need to get some gear, I might just choose an online supplier with a slightly cheaper price when I would NEVER do that before. I’d always got my gear at one of the HR shops because I considered myself part of the local community even if the price was slightly higher. I understand the vocal pricks espousing this attitude may be the vocal minority, but it’s clear there is a feeling that we are NOT part of your community. Shame when we may start taking that sentiment to heart and shifting our allegiances as a result.

hilton

Since 15 Aug 2008
787 Posts

Opinionated

PostThu May 21, 20 6:05 pm     Reply with quote

It's not about localism in the kite community, it's about avoiding non essential travel for the good of public health. And it's not just Hood River.

"Gov. Kate Brown and a group of 26 mayors from across Oregon are calling on everyone in the state to “keep it local” and stay in their own communities this Memorial Day weekend to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
Brown and the mayors are urging everyone, especially people living in the Portland metro area, to resist flocking to Phase 1 counties on the coast, in the Columbia Gorge and in central Oregon, warning that a flood of visitors could trigger a new COVID-19 outbreak and overwhelm resources."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: