Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Rock Creek, now locals (97040) only!
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
biffmalibu

Since 30 Jun 2011
38 Posts
Mosier, Oregon

PostSun May 24, 20 11:27 am     Reply with quote

Rock Creek is still closed, unless you live in 97040.
I am not the decider; I'm just a messenger who lives here.
Everybody who lives in Mosier supports this rule.
The police and state park staff have also been very supportive.
They realize what has been happening the past couple months.
And that is the de facto use of Mosier overall as an open "state park".

If you don't live anywhere near Mosier or the Gorge, you probably don't really understand the situation.

Close your eyes and try to imagine your immediate neighborhood community consistently and increasingly visited during this sort of time. Imagine your neighborhood of 400 visited by hundreds daily, against the law. Imagine most of them not wearing masks or making space.

How would you feel about it? If you are OK with this, you have a limited imagination, no compassion, or you're lying to yourself and everybody else.

I realize most people are really pretty decent. There are very encouraging signs of leadership out there. Temira spreads the word, Pepi from 2nd Wind understands and supports, etc. I'm actually OK with taking heat, getting called names, and weathering other absurd implications about my character regarding spreading the word and support. Because it exposes who the trolls truly are.

I would like to encourage any relative newbies to the sport and this forum to ignore the blowhard bullies and continue to seek advice here. Most water sports people are still super-helpful and will risk their lives to save another's. It is a pity though that Iwindsurf and nwkite forums have devolved into troll caves. I guess it is a normal progression these days. Anyway, trolls bore me, and I think they should ultimately be ignored.

Death toll is now about 100K, and this includes a lot of healthcare workers. And yes this is accurate, no matter what liar "leaders" say in order to cover their own incompetence. Many more lives of survivors have been damaged and shortened. Wear a mask, wash hands, and don't go places you're not supposed to.

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostSun May 24, 20 11:58 am     Reply with quote

Hang on, I gotta go pop some more popcorn!

oliver19

Since 25 Jun 2019
77 Posts

PostSun May 24, 20 1:18 pm     Reply with quote

biffmalibu wrote:
Rock Creek is still closed, unless you live in 97040.
I am not the decider; I'm just a messenger who lives here.
Everybody who lives in Mosier supports this rule.
The police and state park staff have also been very supportive.
They realize what has been happening the past couple months.
And that is the de facto use of Mosier overall as an open "state park".

If you don't live anywhere near Mosier or the Gorge, you probably don't really understand the situation.

Close your eyes and try to imagine your immediate neighborhood community consistently and increasingly visited during this sort of time. Imagine your neighborhood of 400 visited by hundreds daily, against the law. Imagine most of them not wearing masks or making space.

How would you feel about it? If you are OK with this, you have a limited imagination, no compassion, or you're lying to yourself and everybody else.

I realize most people are really pretty decent. There are very encouraging signs of leadership out there. Temira spreads the word, Pepi from 2nd Wind understands and supports, etc. I'm actually OK with taking heat, getting called names, and weathering other absurd implications about my character regarding spreading the word and support. Because it exposes who the trolls truly are.

I would like to encourage any relative newbies to the sport and this forum to ignore the blowhard bullies and continue to seek advice here. Most water sports people are still super-helpful and will risk their lives to save another's. It is a pity though that Iwindsurf and nwkite forums have devolved into troll caves. I guess it is a normal progression these days. Anyway, trolls bore me, and I think they should ultimately be ignored.

Death toll is now about 100K, and this includes a lot of healthcare workers. And yes this is accurate, no matter what liar "leaders" say in order to cover their own incompetence. Many more lives of survivors have been damaged and shortened. Wear a mask, wash hands, and don't go places you're not supposed to.

A "locals only" limitation is unconstitutional. It is shameful to support this.

MikeZ

Since 17 Jul 2012
207 Posts
Beaverton / Seaside / Govy
Stoked

PostSun May 24, 20 3:25 pm     Reply with quote

biffmalibu wrote:

Dude, do you deny having traveled to Arlington to recreate? And then being dumb enough to post about it?

Is your community the only one that should be protected from invaders?

Is your community the only one that should be able to access a State facility?

Just curious...

biffmalibu

Since 30 Jun 2011
38 Posts
Mosier, Oregon

PostMon May 25, 20 9:25 am    The current notice, posted at the gate. Reply with quote

This is the current notice, posted at the gate.

Answers:

Never said I went to Arlington. I did for a time post to see some photos, because I heard it was awesome there. Then I thought better of it, for the sake of Arlington.

No. Other small communities subject to being overrun by potential vectors (big city) of Covid19 virus are wise to protect themselves as well. Hood River is one.

Rock Creek is a rather complicated hodgepodge of territory and jurisdictions. This includes Mosier, the Union Pacific Railroad, Oregon, Wasco County, and the River People. But the jurisdiction that matters most in in this case and for general use is the City of Mosier. Because the residents of Mosier are the ones who use it most and virtually every day of the year. And Mosier spends the most money on it. All the jurisdictions involved understand this and are OK with it. I haven't heard of any complaints from any of the other jurisdictions. The complaints I hear about mostly come from those who jump to conclusions. Or are simply trolls with bad attitudes and lack of imagination.

On a side note, Post Canyon currently has a similar locals only rule in effect. Only those living in 97031 may ride to and through Post Canyon. I haven't been on any mtn bike forums to read the complaints. But the locals only rule is being used there too, for obvious similar reasons that make a lot of sense to those who live there.

20200424_212557_173.jpg 

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostMon May 25, 20 10:20 am    Re: The current notice, posted at the gate. Reply with quote

biffmalibu wrote:

No. Other small communities subject to being overrun by potential vectors (big city) of Covid19 virus are wise to protect themselves as well. Hood River is one.

This line if thinking is the primary issue. Coronavirus is spread by people in close proximity for an extended period of time, usually indoors. Think someone working at an assisted living who maybe attended church or social function in a hotspot area and then brought it back. Or an employee at a hood river grocery store who commutes from Troutdale because they can't afford housing in wealthy Hood River. Outdoor spread is possible, but far less likely.

So unless people in Mosier or Hood River are advised to not travel outside their zip codes and/or placed in mandatory quarantine when they return, the restrictions on visitors to outdoor public land in these areas is just BS localism.

And just because some small town bureaucrat decides to post a sign to appease their paranoid and misinformed electorate doesn't make it right, legal or enforceable. This applies to both the Mosier restrictions and the Hood River public land restrictions. They are unconstitutional scare tactics, and no more legal than a public park in a white neighborhood restricting outside visitors to keep black families out.

Also there are plenty of people upset about the post canyon restrictions. The fact that you don't hear them doesn't mean they aren't out there, it just means you are ignorant.

biffmalibu

Since 30 Jun 2011
38 Posts
Mosier, Oregon

PostMon May 25, 20 10:39 am    A good article that might help with understanding Reply with quote

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/why-an-idaho-ski-destination-has-one-of-the-highest-covid-19-rates-in-the-nation

Most of the people complaining about Post Canyon restrictions don't live anywhere near Hood River.

100K deaths and counting. 350K recovered, yet many of those will live much shortened lives due to permanent physiological damage.

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostMon May 25, 20 11:13 am    Re: A good article that might help with understanding Reply with quote

biffmalibu wrote:
https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/why-an-idaho-ski-destination-has-one-of-the-highest-covid-19-rates-in-the-nation

Most of the people complaining about Post Canyon restrictions don't live anywhere near Hood River.

100K deaths and counting. 350K recovered, yet many of those will live much shortened lives due to permanent physiological damage.

Did you actually read the article you posted? Most of the spread was attributed to indoor spread at ski lodges. The only outdoor spread discussed was in a gondola. And how did Sun Valley respond? They closed the resort to everyone, not just to visitors. But Gorge hotels are currently 100% open for business while outdoor public lands are restricted to locals! And last I checked there are no gondolas at Mosier city park.

Obviously, no one living in Hood River complains about Post Canyon restrictions - because it doesn't affect them! That's localism at it's core!

Thanks for the meaningless national stats about coronavirus - not sure what your point is though.

biffmalibu

Since 30 Jun 2011
38 Posts
Mosier, Oregon

PostMon May 25, 20 11:37 am    Localism is a good thing Reply with quote

I looked up localism. Overall, seems like a good thing to me. Pretty sure the negative attribution comes only from those who envy what localism provides for the locals.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Localism_(politics).

Sun Valley is a good example of what happens to a relatively small and somewhat insulated community when it is invaded by those who carry a highly-infectious disease. Infection rates rise! I knew a guy who visited Sun Valley. He flew there from Seattle in his own plane. Not sure if he was infected before or after, and it's impossible to tell. But for sure he's dead. He's not a meaningless stat in my mind. Neither are the healthcare workers who are dead and injured.

I wish those who truly cared about the US Constitution would get as outraged about the obvious steady corrosion of the Constitution at the Federal level. But it seems like the belief that everything is OK at that level is like religion. So I'm not holding my breath. In Mosier, we have a city council and a mayor who were elected, make decisions via discussion and consultation, and are not working on ways to become tyrants. If they ever did or tried to do what is happening at the Federal level, for sure we would do something serious about it.

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostMon May 25, 20 11:38 am     Reply with quote

Biff,

The point many are making, which you don’t seem to acknowledge, is that you are leaving your location A to recreate at point B, then return to point A and say nobody from outside of A can do the same. In short, the hypocrisy is hard to take. Most of us here are reasonable folks, even within our disagreements.

Eric

oliver19

Since 25 Jun 2019
77 Posts

PostMon May 25, 20 11:40 am     Reply with quote

Who cares what the Wiki definition of "localism" is? The point is you are trying to defend a policy that really has no defense.

This has become a waste of my time and I will not be commenting any more on this topic.

biffmalibu

Since 30 Jun 2011
38 Posts
Mosier, Oregon

PostMon May 25, 20 11:51 am     Reply with quote

I bike and shred in/from Mosier; having Rock Creek open does encourage us to stay in Mosier. Did anybody ever think of this effect, which is a very good thing? Probably not. And I obey the rules of where I go when I leave. Like the grocery store; I space and wear a mask. I did go to a private beach twice to shred outside of Mosier. It was open, as long there were no problems. I obeyed the rules of the beach (spaced, shredded, didn't "pose", left).

Yes, life is full of unfairness (or hypocrisy). I learned this many years ago. Some of it is tolerable and even understandable, some of it not. Most of us I would venture have had plenty of fairness in life. There are much bigger instances of unfairness to fight. I think people should be outraged about the bigger ones and put their energy into fighting those. Smaller communities have to fight harder to protect themselves during times like this. An unfair policy like Mosier's is part of that. If you don't understand, you don't probably don't live here.

I did post wanting to hear and see about the shredfest at Arlington, because it was obviously windy there and an open beach. And I wanted to see some stoke and live vicariously through pictures. It was very lighthearted. Then I thought better of it and changed it to another topic. There are white caps from current at Lyle; lots of flow, lots of chop.

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostMon May 25, 20 12:03 pm     Reply with quote

Well done. We all appreciate the clarification.

MikeZ

Since 17 Jul 2012
207 Posts
Stoked

PostMon May 25, 20 2:02 pm     Reply with quote

biffmalibu wrote:
I bike and shred in/from Mosier.

And Secret Spot?

biffmalibu

Since 30 Jun 2011
38 Posts
Mosier, Oregon

PostMon May 25, 20 3:02 pm     Reply with quote

Yeah, I consider the railroad to be private property. They are fairly tolerant, if they are not abused (lingering on the tracks, for example). Everybody in the Gorge knows this.

Congratulations!

wannabekiter

Since 14 May 2015
269 Posts
Hood river
Obsessed

PostMon May 25, 20 5:19 pm    locals Reply with quote

I am sick of reading the bitching about localism.
If you fucking don't it like then move here and shut up.
See how long it takes you to dislike tourists.

MikeZ

Since 17 Jul 2012
207 Posts
Stoked

PostMon May 25, 20 6:30 pm    Re: locals Reply with quote

wannabekiter wrote:
I am sick of reading the bitching about localism.
If you fucking don't it like then move here and shut up.
See how long it takes you to dislike tourists.

Sick of reading about localism? Don’t read it then.

Sick of non-locals showing up in “your” playground? You could move away from the playground.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10

Jump to: