Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Ideas for reopening the Event Site.
Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostTue Apr 21, 20 7:22 am    Ideas for reopening the Event Site. Reply with quote

Parking in the Event Site lot.
 - system based on day of month (odd, even).
Even days :
Normal License plate - number portion must begin with an even number (0,2,4,6,8 )
Vanity plates - first character must be letter A-M or even number.

Odd days :
Normal License plate - number portion must begin with an odd number (1,3,5,7,9)
Vanity plates - first character must be letter N-Z or odd number.

Note - I realize some months begin and end with an odd number and these people will have extra days - but there’s no system that’s perfect.
 Using license plate ID allows for easy examination and easily maintain social distance.
Any sort of selection by last name gets problematic with examine ID and people who car pool having multiple names.

Communication - 
Facebook groups, CGW2 emails, NW Kite, Port website, Instagram, shops post on their 

FB pages and websites.
Signs at the Event Site - one sign for even numbered days, one for odd.

Parking enforcement - put a person at the entrance to the Parking Lot on the street.
They look at your license plate and wave you in or prevent you from entering.
Avoid traffic at the booth.

Parking fees - no attendant at the booth. Pay at the 
fee station or have season pass. Hood River now supports parking apps on your phone.

Bathrooms
Challenge - best practice for cleaning a public bathroom.

Obtaining PPE (gloves, masks, etc).

Staff should wear rubber gloves and masks.

Bucket of water with bleach.

Cleaning brush on a stick (broom style).

Clean bathrooms with hose, bucket with bleach, brush.
 Reuse the gloves - clean with water, bleach?

Masks

The argument could be made that unless you get close to people, masks are not necessary.

Question - anyone currently working and maintaining bathrooms - best practice for cleaning a public bathroom.

Convincing people to maintain Social Distance.

Have staff or volunteers onsite to monitor and politely remind people - pump up, rig, shred, go home. 

No hanging out and consuming food and drink.

No beach chairs. 

No dogs.

Non-kiting friends and family - NOT allowed to hang-out on the grass.

Remove the picnic tables.

Kiters should wear masks when pumping up, place mask in your kite bag when you move to the sandbar.

Pumping, rigging, drying.

No launching from grass - sandbar only.

Pump up on grass or sandbar - your choice.

Rigging, launch, and landing - on sandbar only.

McLovin

Since 11 Sep 2017
278 Posts
Corbett
Obsessed

PostTue Apr 21, 20 10:58 am    Event Site Plans Reply with quote

Laird,

Great topic especially for everyone tuning in here... you are on the right track 100%

Does anyone here on NWKite know what the Port's thinking is? Have they sought input from user groups? Seems like some guidance may be likely to come out soon with the evolving situation.

Capacity is a tricky wicket at the ES - could have SENIOR HOURS from 8-10AM like the grocery stores.

Almost seems like the parking lot would have to be CLOSED and ONLY allow parking in the BIG gravel lot to the south ZONE #3 in that space you could have cars parked at appropriate spacing (still would need to do the ALT license plate deal to curb numbers) and have WALK IN ONLY access to grass to pump and sandbar to launch/land. Could potentially still allow windsurfers and SUP's and Kayaks to park in western 1/3 of main lot Zone #4 as per the realities of heavy gear.

Betting kiters would be happy to walk the short distance from the gravel lot to get on the water. It will not be easy to break our long held habits about gathering pre/post session for a beer etc. but it is today's price.

Even with this plan you still would have capacity issues if people parked in town and walk in - maybe someone else has a creative idea.?

Golfers who seem to have access now, might suggest a TEE SHEET but that too would be a stretch since we may NOT be done after just 18 laps...

Does opening the EVENT SITE fall in Phase #1 of the Fed guidelines?

my .02

Mc

2020-04-21_14-26-36.png 

Last edited by McLovin on Tue Apr 21, 20 1:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

coupdevill

Since 09 Mar 2016
260 Posts
Hood River, OR
Obsessed

PostTue Apr 21, 20 12:01 pm     Reply with quote

Great topic, get users thoughts out there on the front side, could avoid some arm chair QBing!

coup

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Apr 21, 20 1:19 pm     Reply with quote

For parking, maybe temporarily mark out every other space to allow for distancing?

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostTue Apr 21, 20 1:35 pm     Reply with quote

Oooh, senior hours... or maybe I'll go back to windsurfing! :-D

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostTue Apr 21, 20 2:07 pm     Reply with quote

What about a 3hr courtesy time limit to allow for vehicle and user turnover.
Show up, set up, ride, pack up, leave and make room for the next person.

www.Purestokesports.com

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostTue Apr 21, 20 2:08 pm     Reply with quote

^^^

"Oooh, senior hours... or maybe I'll go back to windsurfing! Very Happy"

That cracked me up!

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Apr 21, 20 2:11 pm     Reply with quote

Good idea but how to enforce the time frame? I think if the rules are not very easy to enforce will just lead to more confusion/trouble & add to the cost.

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostTue Apr 21, 20 2:17 pm     Reply with quote

knotwindy wrote:
Good idea but how to enforce the time frame? I think if the rules are not very easy to enforce will just lead to more confusion/trouble & add to the cost.

"Courtesy Rules" and No Loitering.
Would have to depend on honoring and respecting others.

Not perfect, just a suggestion to consider.

www.Purestokesports.com

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostTue Apr 21, 20 4:18 pm     Reply with quote

"No Loitering" is the key. Being on the water is not a problem from a social distancing standpoint. Active rigging or packing gear is necessary and can done easily with social distance. Parking lot spaces would need to be every other and probably expanded to the dirt lot.

The big issue is so much of the congregating that happens at ES. People can't hang out on the lawn and talk/spectate etc. No standing around in the parking lot chatting about conditions. No post session beers and lawn chairs in the parking lot. Bathrooms will have to be one at a time with a cue with lines at 6 feet apart. Golf courses have a system figured out for proper social distancing and that's part of why they can stay open.

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostTue Apr 21, 20 5:07 pm     Reply with quote

I think common sense might be optimistic, but let’s give it a whirl. What could go wrong?

Can we include the spit and marina beaches as well? That gives us even more room to spread out. If we are hiking it out to the sandbar to launch, I’d probably use the spit for parking. And I bought a season pass, but I’m down for avoiding the crowd.

Realistically, I think the work week should be no problem. It’s still early season, despite the strange weather. The usual suspects will be there.

It’s hanging the “open for business” sign out on the weekends that worries me, and probably will prevent this idea from flying. But it is still early season, and with all the parking open, we could spread out.

Keep in mind that WA park closures will just put more pressure on Hood River’s waterfront.

Our efforts and opinions need to reach further than just the port.

This would be a great time to involve our CGWW association.

There’s probably going to be some useful data from Florida and California beaches to look at.

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostTue Apr 21, 20 5:08 pm     Reply with quote

The bathroom could possibly be a health and safety hurdle.
Might have to make sure to do #2 at home and #1 in the suit if necessary.

Just another suggestion and flexibility accommodation that might honestly need to be considered.

www.Purestokesports.com

hilton

Since 15 Aug 2008
787 Posts

Opinionated

PostTue Apr 21, 20 6:17 pm     Reply with quote

I say only open the Event Site this summer to those who bought their 2020 season passes prior to April 1. Then open to everyone else on Oct 1 when crowds shouldn't be a problem. Wink Wink

But more seriously, I am just hoping that I will get to use my pass this summer (and that we have a ski season next winter).

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostTue Apr 21, 20 6:55 pm     Reply with quote

https://www.oregonlive.com/business/2020/04/washington-gov-jay-inslee-says-state-wont-be-able-to-lift-coronavirus-stay-home-rules-by-may-4.html

Not looking good for Washington parks.

Don’t know Klickitat county’s sheriff Bob’s official stance, but I’m guessing it’s hands off.

That leaves parks system employees on the line for enforcement.

macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostTue Apr 21, 20 7:48 pm     Reply with quote

With no Canadians, long distant tourists, and lessons, I doubt the parking would get too crowded especially with the spit and gravel lot open. Hawaii has allowed water exercise with no hanging out on the beach socializing. Way more distancing than golf or fishing from a boat. Perhaps a petition with rules?

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Apr 21, 20 8:26 pm     Reply with quote

If weekend crowds and congregating are likely to be the biggest hurdle maybe only have the ES open mid week and simply closed on the weekends for less incoming crowds and potentially abuse?

windfun7

Since 23 Aug 2015
40 Posts

PostTue Apr 21, 20 10:25 pm     Reply with quote

https://www.kptv.com/news/oregons-tourism-industry-could-lose-out-on-billions-of-dollars-from-covid-19/article_ef73f1c4-845c-11ea-a370-13d73730b529.html

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: