Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

New Ethics... KITE? Yes / No / Maybe
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
drtaamc

Since 24 Jul 2008
118 Posts

Stoked

PostMon Apr 27, 20 9:35 pm     Reply with quote

The stereotypical rich country club white male image that is being portrayed here is simply not accurate. Ya'll maybe seen Caddyshack a few too many times. The vast majority of golf courses in this country are municipal courses that are patronized by regular folks."

You mean like the people at Augusta Country Club?

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Apr 28, 20 6:47 am     Reply with quote

I hope you realize it’s not about golf. It’s about why you are not ALLOWED to kite while others are ALLOWED to play their games. If you want to get back out there you have to learn who to appease to get your ‘rights’ back. The people in charge don’t focus on rational, they focus on their income. As has been shown over & over for generations. So to get back on the water you need to learn from the groups doing it better than you.
OK, no more about this, I promise. We’ll see if I can keep that promise!

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Apr 28, 20 6:56 am     Reply with quote

knotwindy wrote:
So to get back on the water you need to learn from the groups doing it better than you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBShN8qT4lk

KOF

Since 30 Mar 2011
51 Posts
Seattle

PostTue Apr 28, 20 8:34 am     Reply with quote

I love the hypocrisy here, as every time it’s windy at least 20 kites are up at Lyle with the parking lot full (a place we are not supposed to access via the road) meanwhile these same people want to tell others not to kite and come to HR.

wannabekiter

Since 14 May 2015
269 Posts
Hood river
Obsessed

PostTue Apr 28, 20 9:08 am    localism Reply with quote

Locals at their best. Lyle is not worth it. Boring as hell. Stay home

tree

Since 29 May 2007
147 Posts
Bend, OR
Stoked

PostTue Apr 28, 20 10:57 am     Reply with quote

The only access cluster-f that cracks me up more than Lyle is (was) the wonderbar. Localism blows. Being local is nice.

wannabekiter

Since 14 May 2015
269 Posts
Hood river
Obsessed

PostTue Apr 28, 20 11:58 am    localism Reply with quote

Hey tree localism only sucks if your not a local.
I'm sure your stoked when people come to bend and blow out your single track.
Or better yet track out the fresh powder.
Localism is human nature, we all want it for our self's

tree

Since 29 May 2007
147 Posts
Bend, OR
Stoked

PostTue Apr 28, 20 12:48 pm     Reply with quote

Oh no doubt, wannabe. That's my point. But feel free to blow out the single track or powder down here, whenever you want. It doesn't actually belong to me. I just enjoy using it.

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostTue Apr 28, 20 1:08 pm     Reply with quote

To be fair, there is no localism occuring in the Gorge by 'locals'.

The rules are being set by the County experts taking recommendations and instructions from the Sheriffs dept, the medical community, and the emergency management department. Their decisions are based on what they can and cannot do in worst case scenarios.

I am sorry that there are many people very upset by the rules and guidelines momentarily set by the county. If these decisions help keep the county safe, then it should be understood that more flexibility in openings and more area will become more accessible to more people.

If the wrong decisions are made, a small community will be damaged severely and then no one will get any access in this area for a very long time.

For the record, I have not pedalled on anything other than dirt in my yard and around the block and the only water time I have had is taking my kids out for a sail on my boat. No kiting, windsurfing, foiling or mountain climbing.

www.Purestokesports.com

pollywog

Since 07 Aug 2009
289 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Apr 28, 20 6:41 pm     Reply with quote

The hypocrisy is hilarious. You can ride road bikes but you can’t mtn bike! Crashing on the road is not less dangerous than crashing on a mtn bike. A collarbone break doesn’t occur more in one discipline than the other. Both can end up in the ER..but for some unknown, but I’m sure someone will tell me, reason, road biking is okay??? WTF?

You can go out in your canoe, paddle board or sail boat, or go wakeboarding but ya can’t windsurf or kiteboard?? Unless....of course...you live outside of hood river.

You can golf on a course with others but you can’t walk around in the forest.....

You can shop at target and Walmart for everything and anything they carry, but you can’t go to your local shop and purchase stuff... BTW, the Walmart parking lots are packed with cars aka shoppers.

There’s no real sense to it and it would be nice if people stopped trying to make sense of it for others. There’s no formula used to determine what is permitted. It seems more like...if we see a lot of X in this place, we better stop it cuz ya know, we live in hood river and those kites and wind surf things are just everywhere in the spring and Summer...and ya know, tourists love those flitting things dancing on the water and they just can’t stay away from gandering. Those mtn bikes, ripping around the hills on those almost motorcycles having a good time all over the woods, well that can’t be safe because ya know they come to town afterwards with their big bikes on their SUV’s and advertise how cool they are and how much fun they’ve just had while drinking craft beer and eating gourmet pizza AND they’re in such good shape... we need to get back to the cranky road bike riders cuz no one thinks they’re cool and want to emulate their style...

There’s no good reasons. It just what people see and now they can slap down on the fun factor a bit cuz that’s how people are.....

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Apr 28, 20 7:41 pm     Reply with quote

KOF wrote:
I love the hypocrisy here, as every time it’s windy at least 20 kites are up at Lyle with the parking lot full (a place we are not supposed to access via the road) meanwhile these same people want to tell others not to kite and come to HR.

I'm not sure this is a fair statement.

While Lyle is a sensitive topic, the potential consequences of going against the grain are simply loss of a kite spot.

Bad for the kiting community, but then again no one dies and no one is going bankrupt.

The consequences of Covid-19 are lives vs livelihood, a much more serious conversation.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Apr 28, 20 8:03 pm     Reply with quote

Let me add to this... As I think there are many mixed messages taking place now.

For me, the pillar of democracy lays upon the foundation that all citizens have equal rights and equal opportunities.

I hope that counties, ports, and other authoritative bodies take this into consideration as they develop their short term policies in this challenging time.

However, enforcement of policies is a different thing. The enforcers (Sheriffs, DAs, local police etc.) have the unique opportunity to make conscious decisions to do the right thing.

Doing the right thing can mean different things depending upon the surrounding environment. Enforcement of laws can be arbitrary. Sometimes this right is abused, but when placed in the hands of good people there is an opportunity to do the right thing and make things right.

The system works when good people work hard to make it work!!!

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostWed Apr 29, 20 3:03 am     Reply with quote

Pepi wrote:
To be fair, there is no localism occuring in the Gorge by 'locals'.

Can't be! HR was a "drive by" town till windsurfing became popular. Then tons of NON-locals moved there, drove property values up, and sparked a building boom. I mean, what is the actual percentage of more than 2 generation windsport users in Hood River?

But that's not the biggest irony of the situation. For a kiter who lives in Hood River or on the coast, for them to say this is my spot, and then go to Maui or Mexico to kite somewhere in the off-season, is beyond laughably hilarious. Kiteboarding just doesn't exist without tourism travel to get to the good spots. But back to sarcasm......

bigjohn wrote:

For me, the pillar of democracy lays upon the foundation that all citizens have equal rights and equal opportunities.

This virus is the perfect opportunity to narrow down all rights to the point that we only have them in the particular County in which we were born. We could start off with maybe eliminating Health Care coverage outside of a citizens County of birth. Then maybe eliminate other rights outside of that County for that citizen. Non-locals would still be free to travel, but maybe no right to trial by jury outside of that County. Things like this have been working for China for a long time, to keep people in their place.

bigjohn wrote:

The system works when good people work hard to make it work!!!

I too was hoping to ince join The Optimist Club, but I never really felt confident they would let me in. And I would revise your statement to say,

"The system appears to work when politicians work hard to not get caught."

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Apr 29, 20 8:10 am     Reply with quote

Yea,
stop the hypocrisy! stop the localism! stop the price gouging!
Vote for me!

Never mind, I don’t want the job and couldn’t do it anyway.

Does anyone remember back when we used to quarantine the sick people?
Not the whole world; that’s not a quarantine.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Apr 29, 20 1:12 pm     Reply with quote

knotwindy wrote:

Does anyone remember back when we used to quarantine the sick people?

Were you thinking of times like early 1900s during the Spanish Flu when estimates of 17-50 million people died or perhaps further back in time say the mid 1300s during "Black Death" or the plague when estimates of 75–200 million people died?

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostWed Apr 29, 20 1:21 pm     Reply with quote

In 1916, there were more than 27,000 cases and 6,000 deaths from polio in the United States with more than 2,000 deaths in New York City alone. The names and addresses of those with polio were printed in newspapers daily. Every summer, there was a polio epidemic that created a lot of fear. Meetings would be canceled, children were warned not to drink from water fountains and to stay away from swimming pools, beaches and places where people gathered. In the United States, the most serious epidemics occurred in the 1940s and ’50s. In 1949, there were 2,720 deaths from polio.

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostThu Apr 30, 20 2:05 am     Reply with quote

ldhr wrote:

The real interesting part is the actual cause of polio. Not just the disease, but why it suddenly became a problem in humanity to such a degree at that particular point in our history.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 14 of 15

Jump to: