Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Kite quiver sizing advice....ditching old Revs.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Raj

Since 13 Oct 2009
113 Posts

Stoked

PostThu Aug 15, 19 8:33 am    Kite quiver sizing advice....ditching old Revs. Reply with quote

Wow, can't believe it's been 5 years since I've pumped up a kite or visited this site. Cool to see nwkite is still alive and well...despite the russian-bot posts.

Hoping to get a little advice from y'all since you helped me get into this mess called kiting. monkey sold me a rev back in 2009 I used to learn on in rooster easterlies.

Long story short, I'm married now and the mrs. is commiting to learning kiting so we'll be pulling the trigger on a NEW quiver soon, along with lessons for her.

She's 120lbs and I'm 155lbs. Kiting Gorge 90% and hopefully Manzo/coast 10%. (We're avid surfers so seems inevitable). TT 90% of the time and hope to dabble in strapless.

Was thinking we could get away with sharing a 3-kite quiver starting with 6,8,10 RPM?
She on 6 while I'm on 8, etc. A little concerned an 8 might be a bit much for me to hold down. All I know is from my 7,11 rev days and I remember them being really up and down at times.

Or would you recommend 7,9,11? Really hoping 35lb difference is enough we don't have to get smaller stepped quiver.

Was also considering quiver of Pivots but...the mrs. seemed a little hesitant based on descriptions saying JUMP JUMP JUMP and I'm not picky. I had just learned jump transitions when I stopped kiting and am sure I can figure out boosts/jumps on any modern kite these days.

Thanks for any advice you have! So pumped to get back in the air!!

Mrlaroo

Since 02 Jan 2007
181 Posts
Bend
Stoked

PostThu Aug 15, 19 9:00 am     Reply with quote

I think the 6,8, 10 is a good combo but look at something different then the RPM. Welcome back!

Raj

Since 13 Oct 2009
113 Posts

Stoked

PostThu Aug 15, 19 9:41 am     Reply with quote

Mrlaroo wrote:
I think the 6,8, 10 is a good combo but look at something different then the RPM. Welcome back!

Thanks!!

dangler

Since 26 Feb 2006
1742 Posts
WINDY SPOTS
XTreme Poster

PostThu Aug 15, 19 9:46 am    lotta new stuff Reply with quote

go and demo! everyones got their new stuff out now, so demo's should be happening. I flew RPM's since they first came out, loved them, but switched to Ralley's due to better range and low end (bonus for a shared quiver.) John and Lisa Schlecht can probably hook u up to demo, Cheers.

Raj

Since 13 Oct 2009
113 Posts

Stoked

PostThu Aug 15, 19 9:48 am    Re: lotta new stuff Reply with quote

dangler wrote:
go and demo! everyones got their new stuff out now, so demo's should be happening. I flew RPM's since they first came out, loved them, but switched to Ralley's due to better range and low end (bonus for a shared quiver.) John and Lisa Schlecht can probably hook u up to demo, Cheers.

Oh yeah, Demo dayzzz. Good call! Thanks Dangler!

patdaniels

Since 29 Jul 2015
91 Posts
Seattle area

PostThu Aug 15, 19 9:51 am     Reply with quote

Potential demos, or at least see gear and talk to reps at AWSI event tomorrow Friday after 1pm at Event Site. If you can make it, that is a perfect opportunity to check out all the latest gear from the major kite brands.

From your description - suggest you take a look at Slingshot Rally GT v1. Sizes - 6, 8, 10 primarily for Gorge and a 12 for coast or gorge on lighter wind days.

Rally GT will be user friendly for your relearning and your wife's learning, but it is also a fun kite still once you progress. Suitable for TT, surfboard and foil.

Last edited by patdaniels on Thu Aug 15, 19 3:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jonpnw

Since 22 Jul 2010
1322 Posts
Pacific Northwest
XTreme Poster

PostThu Aug 15, 19 10:09 am    SS Demo Reply with quote

Thanks for the shout out Dangler ! Raj , we have RPMs , Rally Gt , Raptors and SSTs to try . We will try to be at Sauvie Island , stevenson & rooster rock this late summer / early fall .

Jon

Join the Columbia Gorge Water Sports Association. http://gorgewindsurfing.org/

Raj

Since 13 Oct 2009
113 Posts

Stoked

PostThu Aug 15, 19 10:26 am     Reply with quote

patdaniels wrote:
Demo day at AWSI event tomorrow Friday at Event Site. If you can make it, that is a perfect opportunity to check out all the latest gear from the major kite brands.

From your description - suggest you take a look at Slingshot Rally GT v1. Sizes - 6, 8, 10 primarily for Gorge and a 12 for coast or gorge on lighter wind days.

Rally GT will be user friendly for your relearning and your wife's learning, but it is also a fun kite still once you progress. Suitable for TT, surfboard and foil.

Cool, I'll be there then.
Rally sounds like a great option. Faster the mrs. is going upwind the better for me. Smile Also, as fun as it is to loop a kite at it's low-end and constantly work it I'd love to have a kite with bigger range that I can just park while I work on my footwork. What kite is going to allow me to hover the most? Don't need 25+ boosts mind you...just a nice long hover.

Raj

Since 13 Oct 2009
113 Posts

Stoked

PostThu Aug 15, 19 10:31 am    Re: SS Demo Reply with quote

Jonpnw wrote:
Thanks for the shout out Dangler ! Raj , we have RPMs , Rally Gt , Raptors and SSTs to try . We will try to be at Sauvie Island , stevenson & rooster rock this late summer / early fall .

Jon

Excellent....Jon, will you be at ES tomorrow by chance? We're probably a week or two out before we pull the trigger on this quiver.

patdaniels

Since 29 Jul 2015
91 Posts
Seattle area

PostThu Aug 15, 19 11:54 am     Reply with quote

Raj wrote:

Cool, I'll be there then.
Rally sounds like a great option. Faster the mrs. is going upwind the better for me. Smile Also, as fun as it is to loop a kite at it's low-end and constantly work it I'd love to have a kite with bigger range that I can just park while I work on my footwork. What kite is going to allow me to hover the most? Don't need 25+ boosts mind you...just a nice long hover.

Detailed Rally GT v1 review from Mackiteboarding - https://www.mackiteboarding.com/news/2020-slingshot-rally-gt-review/

Last edited by patdaniels on Fri Aug 16, 19 5:38 am; edited 1 time in total

Jonpnw

Since 22 Jul 2010
1322 Posts
Pacific Northwest
XTreme Poster

PostThu Aug 15, 19 1:57 pm    PM me Reply with quote

Raj ! There is still some confusion about the AWSI event and demoinhbto the public . Regardless I have Rally GTs for you to try . I like to call them Rally Great time ! They are fun, user friendly , go cruise kites , you can send them , loop them , crash them and just have fun and smile .
Send me a message 360 607 0406 and we will get you out on them

Join the Columbia Gorge Water Sports Association. http://gorgewindsurfing.org/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: