Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Best high wind kite

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Justsmile

Since 20 Jul 2009
1523 Posts
Not Portland
XTreme Poster

PostSun Aug 11, 19 12:43 pm    Best high wind kite Reply with quote

Looking for opinions on which kite in the slingshot line makes the best High wind kite. 225 pounder prob heading in the 7 meter range. Looking for a kite for the 25-40 mph range. Flying rally’s for my bigger kites now. Rpm,SST. Not sure how the sizing on the raptor goes yet! Any thoughts from the gallery?

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostSun Aug 11, 19 8:53 pm     Reply with quote

need more input from you.
do you prefer stable handling of the Rally or do you want fast response and ability to fly the kite one-handed?
mow the lawn or do long up and down-winders (event site up to the Hatchery and back)?
ocean waves?
surfboard or twin tip?
swell riding or jumping and aerial tricks?
go upwind ok or do you wish you could go upwind better?

Last edited by ldhr on Sun Aug 11, 19 9:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostSun Aug 11, 19 9:38 pm    Re: Best high wind kite Reply with quote

Justsmile wrote:
Looking for opinions on which kite in the slingshot line makes the best High wind kite. 225 pounder prob heading in the 7 meter range. Looking for a kite for the 25-40 mph range. Flying rally’s for my bigger kites now. Rpm,SST. Not sure how the sizing on the raptor goes yet! Any thoughts from the gallery?

Of course the whole slingshot line has changed so all bets may be off...

That being said I believe the RPM is the best high wind kite. It is stable and generates it's power from moving the kite rather than parking which is helpful in the gustier conditions that come with high winds.

Currently I use RPMs in high winds, an SST in the middle, Rallys in mild conditions and a Turbine for the light wind days. I'm thinking of switching my Rallys out for Raptors.

Generally I am swell searching in high wind with my RPMs, SSTs are a mixture of jumping and swell searching, Rallys are more about just jumping, and my turbine is about jumping and just getting on the water in light wind sessions.

You're likely to get a completely different perspective from the foiling and surf crowds.

Justsmile

Since 20 Jul 2009
1523 Posts
Not Portland
XTreme Poster

PostMon Aug 12, 19 7:25 pm     Reply with quote

Go upwind fas good as I want. rally goes up wins better than rpm when less powereee up.
Looking for the kite for 25-40 for rooster,swell when it’s pumping and eastern launches
High wind is nice to fly one handed
Rally is stable but have been on rpm’s for last 3-4 years
Grew up surfing but ride twin tip as it’s fun to slash. - will eventually go back to riding a surfboard but still ride twin tipper.
Need to get to the coast more for waves but family and driving down the hill a few minutes to launch in stevie is nice
Last windy session (a week ago)went to swell city on the twin tipper and it was a blast blasting off the top of the swells and rode my 9 rally and was lit like a cigar.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostTue Aug 13, 19 8:15 am     Reply with quote

imo - everything you say about yourself screams "RPM"!
RPM 6 and 8 are amazing fun kites.
For many years (pre foil) my quiver was 6, 8 RPM and 10, 12 Rally.

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostTue Aug 13, 19 5:02 pm     Reply with quote

ldhr wrote:
imo - everything you say about yourself screams "RPM"!
RPM 6 and 8 are amazing fun kites.
For many years (pre foil) my quiver was 6, 8 RPM and 10, 12 Rally.

listen to Laird!

its cranking windy you're gonna rip upwind and have fun slashing

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: