Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Best place on Coast to learn
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
charsumo

Since 02 Jul 2005
14 Posts

PostTue Jul 26, 05 4:53 pm    Best place on Coast to learn Reply with quote

I've been kiteboarding for about two months now, mainly in Hood River, and would like to try out the coast. Anyone recommend a good place to get used to kiting in ocean conditions? What about the bay at the end of Seaside beach?

KiteKarl

Since 02 Mar 2005
213 Posts
Stockton, California
Stoked

PostTue Jul 26, 05 5:04 pm     Reply with quote

North end of Seaside where the Necanicum river comes out. Go to Seaside and take a right on Franklin and go to the north end of the street. Getting it on a high tide is best because you have several hundred yards of shallow water. Watch the river though, the current in there is super strong and will take your board fast.

barfly

Since 31 Mar 2005
1210 Posts
Seaside
BRACKISH

PostThu Jul 28, 05 8:14 am    Kite friendly locale Reply with quote

Come on out char. I have a b&b here in the North end of Seaside. Winter rates for all kiters. Walk to kite, keg-o-brew, no attitude. We can even set you up with some gear to try (Naish, SS, North). We've made arrangements for a wave clinic weekend with instructor and gear. If I can get 3-5 wave hungry enthusiasts, we'll book it!!

www.summerinseaside.com

jahmbi

Since 28 Jul 2005
622 Posts
MORE HUMAN THAN HUMAN
River Troll

PostThu Jul 28, 05 11:02 pm    Re: Best place on Coast to learn Reply with quote

charsumo wrote:
I've been kiteboarding for about two months now, mainly in Hood River, and would like to try out the coast. Anyone recommend a good place to get used to kiting in ocean conditions? What about the bay at the end of Seaside beach?
i strongly dont recomend the river mouth you might get eaten by the locals if you show up with out a tax payment .remember you always have to pay to play..... jahmbi

barfly

Since 31 Mar 2005
1210 Posts
Seaside
BRACKISH

PostFri Jul 29, 05 6:33 am     Reply with quote

Easy jah, you must be thinking about somewhere else. Localism around these parts is unique to the surf community and they will eat you if you are lucky. Ive found the local kiters exude a aloha spirit, are happy to help, and most of them either own or work in the local shops (Pacwave, Cleanline). Not sure where you are getting your info, the beaches are huge and so is the ocean so lots of room for kiters of all abilities - keep the 'tude rumors to yo self.

ReeferMadness

Since 21 Apr 2005
32 Posts
Seattle

PostFri Jul 29, 05 8:56 am     Reply with quote

Barfly you rule bro, that is exactly the kind of attitude more of us kiters need. The whole localism thing is played out, i mean really how is anyone going to keep a spot secret flying a big ass kite 100 ft in the air that can be seen from miles away?

barfly wrote:
Easy jah, you must be thinking about somewhere else. Localism around these parts is unique to the surf community and they will eat you if you are lucky. Ive found the local kiters exude a aloha spirit, are happy to help, and most of them either own or work in the local shops (Pacwave, Cleanline). Not sure where you are getting your info, the beaches are huge and so is the ocean so lots of room for kiters of all abilities - keep the 'tude rumors to yo self.

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostFri Jul 29, 05 9:36 am    Re: Best place on Coast to learn Reply with quote

[/quote] i strongly dont recomend the river mouth you might get eaten by the locals if you show up with out a tax payment .remember you always have to pay to play..... jahmbi[/quote]

I was assuming by "locals" he meant the sharks.

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostFri Jul 29, 05 11:53 am     Reply with quote

Seems very funny to me that people are so territorial when the sport is so new...... It's not like you have been kiting for all your life.
Lighten up.
The best part of this sport is the camaraderie and genuinely nice people that I have met.

www.naishkites.com

jahmbi

Since 28 Jul 2005
622 Posts
MORE HUMAN THAN HUMAN
River Troll

PostFri Jul 29, 05 1:43 pm     Reply with quote

Mark wrote:
Seems very funny to me that people are so territorial when the sport is so new...... It's not like you have been kiting for all your life.
Lighten up.
The best part of this sport is the camaraderie and genuinely nice people that I have met.
kind of funny .....hahahaha.. i,m ending my 6th year of kiteing and this is my back yard so before you all think that you can prejudge me you should look back and see if you were actually kiteing 6 yrs ago and actually learning in the ocean .... i think the thing that bugs me the most is that people think that they discoverd all these great kiteing spots not .........do some research be for you take credit .... my buddy and i paid our dues way before you prob.even thought of kite surfing...... MEGA............SEASIDE

drizzler

Since 29 Jul 2005
5 Posts

Kook

PostFri Jul 29, 05 6:02 pm     Reply with quote

Jahmbi, Mega, whatever the hell your name is,
You CANNOT EVEN SPELL KITING?
You spelled it KITEING.
If you have been 'kiteing' for 6 years you should have been taking an adult education class. I definitely know who you are now. You are not even a good kiter. Relax Megabelly. You look about 40 but you are acting like an 18 year old. Your buddy, you mean Josh at Cleanline? Yeah I know him and I don't think he would be talking trash like you. Don't you ride for his shop Pacific kayak wave? You should wise up cowboy. Not a good promotion for his biz.

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostFri Jul 29, 05 6:47 pm     Reply with quote

jahmbi if you work for or know Josh you better hope he doesn't get wind of your Attitude. I think he would fire you on the spot. Josh is one of the friendlest people I have met. I stopped by there earlier this summer and he invited to take me to the good spots and show me a good ride. He is going out of his way to promote kiting (spelled right!) at the coast. I highly recommend supporting his cleanline surf shop when ever you can.

www.naishkites.com

Last edited by Mark on Sat Jul 30, 05 7:48 am; edited 1 time in total

tonski

Since 11 Jun 2005
332 Posts
NW Portland
Obsessed

PostFri Jul 29, 05 9:28 pm     Reply with quote

Quote:
i,m ending my 6th year of kiteing and this is my back yard so before you all think that you can prejudge me

Wow, Jahmbi, 6 years of "kiteing" - when are you going pro? Maybe you can show us PDX riders how to really rip on the ocean. I can't wait to learn from your vast experience. Wink

jahmbi

Since 28 Jul 2005
622 Posts
MORE HUMAN THAN HUMAN
River Troll

PostSat Jul 30, 05 5:37 pm     Reply with quote

tonski wrote:
Quote:
i,m ending my 6th year of kiteing and this is my back yard so before you all think that you can prejudge me

Wow, Jahmbi, 6 years of "kiteing" - when are you going pro? Maybe you can show us PDX riders how to really rip on the ocean. I can't wait to learn from your vast experience. Wink
sounds like you ,and dan are already pros..... and finding all the good spots.lol

jahmbi

Since 28 Jul 2005
622 Posts
MORE HUMAN THAN HUMAN
River Troll

PostSat Jul 30, 05 6:00 pm     Reply with quote

drizzler wrote:
Jahmbi, Mega, whatever the hell your name is,
You CANNOT EVEN SPELL KITING?
You spelled it KITEING.
If you have been 'kiteing' for 6 years you should have been taking an adult education class. I definitely know who you are now. You are not even a good kiter. Relax Megabelly. You look about 40 but you are acting like an 18 year old. Your buddy, you mean Josh at Cleanline? Yeah I know him and I don't think he would be talking trash like you. Don't you ride for his shop Pacific kayak wave? You should wise up cowboy. Not a good promotion for his biz.
dude you should light n up and maybe you wont have a heart attack at such a young age.my buddy from down south said i should roust you ,,,,, boy did it work.. when you attack some one personally,like you have done its hard to come back from....maybe you will realize that you could have had a great place to park and relax inbetween sessions .. what started this whole thing was to just keep a little fun spot low key ... by the way drizzler ,is your name like that because its always gloomy where ever you go????by the way josh and i did enjoy watching the guy with the grey and blue best kite ? he was doing good.. its all about the fun ... sorry i had to piss all of you off so hard .every once in a while some one has to be the black cloud that spoils the fun. hope you had a good day sea ya soon .. i guess that the phonics didnt wrk 4 me.lol.

jahmbi

Since 28 Jul 2005
622 Posts
MORE HUMAN THAN HUMAN
River Troll

PostSat Jul 30, 05 6:06 pm     Reply with quote

Mark wrote:
jahmbi if you work for or know Josh you better hope he doesn't get wind of your Attitude. I think he would fire you on the spot. Josh is one of the friendlest people I have met. I stopped by there earlier this summer and he invited to take me to the good spots and show me a good ride. He is going out of his way to promote kiting (spelled right!) at the coast. I highly recommend supporting his cleanline surf shop when ever you can.
mark i have been buying equipment from josh since i was 15 years old and am now 41 ..... its the only store i will ever buy from .if he sold groceries i would only have to go to one place .the day you stopped in ,he told me he met you and that you are a good guy .... looking forward to meeting you also..

jahmbi

Since 28 Jul 2005
622 Posts
MORE HUMAN THAN HUMAN
River Troll

PostSat Jul 30, 05 6:09 pm     Reply with quote

Mark wrote:
mark i will tell josh what you said and he will get a smile out of it in fact i told him that i wrote some letters to you guys... as a rousting .... sea yu soon...

jahmbi

Since 28 Jul 2005
622 Posts
MORE HUMAN THAN HUMAN
River Troll

PostSat Jul 30, 05 6:12 pm     Reply with quote

tonski wrote:
Quote:

cant recall if i answered you letter its all about fun ....... say i got a great game we can all play its called the offshore reach..who ever makes it out past the lighthouse and back wins a six pack off beer......

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: