Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Single Skin Surf Kites!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Slappysan

Since 13 Jun 2012
308 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Apr 16, 19 8:51 pm    Single Skin Surf Kites! Reply with quote

Gin has just come out with a water relaunchable single skin hybrid kite and this is pretty big news.

http://www.ginkites.com/shop/marabou/

I recently got myself a 5m Peak 4 single skin hybrid and even though it's not designed for water relaunch it's 1/1 for me so far. These single skin kites are the ultimate in drift, it's a whole new level from other kites (and I own single strut kites and BRM clouds too).

The best thing about these kites is that they don't fall in to the water, it's up to you to crash them. I'd imagine with that 12m Marabou you could confidently go out foiling in 6 knots without any issues dropping the kite. Now I can go foiling with my Cloud in 6 knots but any time I stop moving at all it's very scary trying to keep the kite in the air (I've had a few big swims).

I don't think I'd want to use the bigger sizes of Peak 4 on my surfboard but I'm really interested in this 12m Marabou for surf/skim as well as sub 9 knot foiling.

These kites (at least the Peak 4) produce almost zero lift also so they are ideal for teaching.

Single skin also means they are a bit cheaper than LEI or Ram Air kites.

With my big surf wing I was able to ride comfortably in 12 knots with my 5m Peak 4, and still able to make it work as low as 9 knots:

Link

kitenetic

Since 16 Jun 2018
19 Posts

PostWed Apr 17, 19 9:41 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for posting, definitely nice to see other alternatives to the clouds (which I love) for light wind kiting, I wonder how this kite will handle in 30kts + in the gorge, I'd imagine the advantages of extra drift are mitigated in those conditions. The posted wind ranges on the Gin website look amazing, you could possibly get away with just a 4m kite using a foil in most gorge conditions, especially if you use a smaller wing when its nuking. Kite design & safety has come along way since my first C kite back in the day.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: