Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Fees for boating - Oregon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Anthony

Since 07 Oct 2008
362 Posts
Salem
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostMon Jan 28, 19 1:20 pm    Fees for boating - Oregon Reply with quote

I do not know how this would affect kiting, but it will effect SUP's.

https://www.statesmanjournal.com/story/news/2019/01/24/oregon-marine-board-raft-kayak-fees-increase-new-plan/2650720002/

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostMon Jan 28, 19 1:58 pm     Reply with quote

10' or longer.

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostMon Jan 28, 19 6:09 pm     Reply with quote

tinyE wrote:
10' or longer.

For now.

Those of us who worked to out the idiocy of the last iteration of this bill (operating in the red the first year, most of the revenue going to enforce an unneeded/non-benificial law each year after) were aware this tactic would be needed to pass such legislation in the future. It is divide & conquer.

The last time around, all of the affected user groups made their voice heard loud and clear. Only a few "shill" organizations, one of which could be linked to a lucrative "no bid" contract should the bill pass, were in favor of it.

The new strategy is to target/exclude certain groups who would normally ban together to fight this. Once a weaker group has been forced to abide by the law, that subjugated group will be very much in favor of previously excluded groups sharing in their misery.

This is textbook strategy to generate a revenue stream by getting a worthless law put in place from a state that has a history of operating in the red. Kiteboarders, windsurfers, and any other seemingly (currently) unaffected water user group, should stand with those groups targeted by this law. If you don't, they won't stand up for you when you get written in on the last ammendment before it's passage.

tkaraszewski

Since 21 Oct 2016
41 Posts
Hood River

PostTue Jan 29, 19 3:03 pm     Reply with quote

Does this change anything at all for my 23' sailboat? I hate these things, they're never even clear what they cover. It sounds like this is aimed at kayaks, but sailboat is also "non-motorized".

Occupied Columbia

Since 12 Nov 2011
376 Posts
Columbia City
Obsessed

PostTue Jan 29, 19 5:57 pm     Reply with quote

I'm in favor of an oregon government shutdown. Quickest trip ever through customs saturday at pdx. One guy pointing at the exit. No one else in the room
That's efficiency.

dwaynej

Since 09 Sep 2013
207 Posts

Stoked

CGKA Member

PostThu Jan 31, 19 1:12 pm     Reply with quote

Occupied Columbia wrote:
I'm in favor of an oregon government shutdown. Quickest trip ever through customs saturday at pdx. One guy pointing at the exit. No one else in the room
That's efficiency.

Where did you fly in from?

Occupied Columbia

Since 12 Nov 2011
376 Posts
Columbia City
Obsessed

PostThu Jan 31, 19 1:19 pm     Reply with quote

dwaynej wrote:
Occupied Columbia wrote:
That's efficiency.

Where did you fly in from?

Cabo. The week before flew bangkok to hong kong to vancouver bc to pdx and did U.S. customs in b.c.

SalmonSlayer

Since 27 Nov 2005
648 Posts

Addicted

CGKA Member

PostThu Jan 31, 19 3:01 pm     Reply with quote

Matt V wrote:
Those of us who worked to out the idiocy of the last iteration of this bill (operating in the red the first year, most of the revenue going to enforce an unneeded/non-benificial law each year after) were aware this tactic would be needed to pass such legislation in the future.

The idiocy behind the idiocy is all of the voters that keep voting in the same officials that are eager to tax more and encroach further into our personal freedoms.

I wonder how many people think this is wrong, but cant seem to connect their voting choices to this result.

WindSki

Since 14 Dec 2012
402 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostThu Jan 31, 19 4:51 pm     Reply with quote

The majority of WA and OR voters love paying taxes and they love having fees. They also love their representatives!! That’s why they vote the way they do. I'm an independent and it’s the price we pay for living in this state.

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Explosive Diarrhea

PostFri Feb 01, 19 4:10 pm     Reply with quote

SalmonSlayer wrote:

I wonder how many people think this is wrong, but cant seem to connect their voting choices to this result.

They can't even find a representative to sponsor this bill because it is so stupid. When one is finally selected, by drawing the short straw, it will likely be a politician would is ready to retire (not up for reelection).

But the real dirty dealings are done by the shill organizations who have some tie to the issue. Those are the ones to watch. And if you happen to be a member of one of those groups, make your voice heard. Don't let your membership dues be used for this.

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Explosive Diarrhea

PostWed Feb 06, 19 5:11 pm     Reply with quote

Here is the Senate Bill as introduced so far. Remember that the last one went through a few revisions that changed some key words and terms to cast a larger net. That larger net eventually included many more water users, just by changing a term from "State Waters" to "Waters of this State".

https://olis.leg.state.or.us/liz/2019R1/Downloads/MeasureDocument/SB47/Introduced

Regardless of your like or dislike for this bill, please keep a close eye on it for mutations that would make it a destructive force in your, and others outdoor enjoyment. Should a state senator or outdoor organization show support for this bill, dig deeper and ask why. Contacting them with your concerns will help to get the average water user's voice heard.

ShiverMeTimbers

Since 26 Feb 2013
381 Posts
Gig Harbor
Obsessed

PostSat Feb 23, 19 8:34 pm     Reply with quote

The bill will fund the construction of new access points. Isn't that a good thing? Some kiters will likely benefit from this. CGKA should start lobbying for new sites or site improvements.

Am I missing something here?

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostSun Feb 24, 19 9:09 am     Reply with quote

Matt V wrote:
Here is the Senate Bill as introduced so far. ...
https://olis.leg.state.or.us/liz/2019R1/Downloads/MeasureDocument/SB47/Introduced

Matt - Thank you for providing this link.

It appears to me this bill has the potential to add value to our recreational community.

As I understand the bill, monies are to be utilized for two purposes:
1) Boater Safety Training
2) Waterway Access

I didn't see anything that allows these dollars to be redirected to ongoing operational costs for the Marine Board. As with anything however the will of the board ultimately defines the direction of the dollars.

Also, as currently defined I don't see this affecting Kiters, but definately SUPers and Kayakers can be impacted as only "boats" larger than 10' are currently being addressed.

For me personally there is a clause that makes or breaks it for me. The ability to transfer this permit to other "boats" you own makes this permit fair in my opinion. Without that clause I would be concerned that this permit could negatively impact the recreational community.

SenateBill47BoatFees.png 

pollywog

Since 07 Aug 2009
289 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Feb 24, 19 12:03 pm     Reply with quote

Something similar happened in 2018 in the bicycle industry in Oregon. I thought, and still do, that it’s one of the most ridiculous pieces of legislation at the state level I’ve seen.

The legislature proposed a tax on all bicycle sales. Somehow, people who ride bikes don’t pay taxes because all of them apparently don’t own cars... they also didn’t “have any skin in the game” (that quote actually came out of the mouths of legislators) regarding paying for road infrastructure. Huh? Makes you wonder if they know their constituents at all.

It ended up being a $15 tax on all 26” wheels and above on all new complete (you can buy a frame and all the parts so long as the bike isn’t built and not get taxed) bikes sold in bike shops. They thought it would generate 1.25 million per year costing 100k to administer. (Highly inaccurate but I’ll point that out later). After the first quarter, they were shitting because it brought in 76k and cost at least 36k to implement. Sooooo, very quietly they changed the legislation to incorporate all bikes sold over 200.00 which means kids bikes...BMX, toddlers pretty much any nicely made aluminum, light and easier to maneuver, kiddie bike (also including folding bikes which have smaller wheels). Funny thing, Walmart, Fred Meyer...the big guys who can afford to pay this dumb tax don’t sell bikes over 200.00 (lobbyist won again).
So now, kids who never ride their bikes on the road, though their parents/grandparents (a lot of grandparents buy their grand children bikes), get taxed as though they do!

We, the bike shop I manage, had a chance to speak one-on-one with now retired state senator Devlin. The shop owners contributed to his campaign over his many years in the legislature (I sent a letter to all senators regarding the proposed tax and only heard back from the one the owners contributed to, which is another problem). Devlin flat out said; the revenue committee regularly over estimates the potential revenue of new taxes. He said it would likely be closer to 2/3’s of the estimate the constituents saw. The owner said, more like 700k, and soon we’ll know who was correct. Devlin said there was a perception in the public that cyclists don’t pay their fair share. Sound familiar? We, of course, pointed out, most cyclists own cars and many never ride on pavement. The short of it was they need money and people don’t vote in tax increases. It sounded desperate. I left that two hour meeting understanding both sides of the situation better. Also, the money gathered doesn’t go the trail/path maintenance like people heard. It goes in the general transportation fund to be used where needed.

What I hope, and hope for this new “tax”, is someone approaches the situation from an educated perspective. Hope though is nothing but wishes. If I could change what happened to our industry, I’d work with the legislature and try to help make a tax that makes the most sense. Like it or not, once a group is on their radar, they will figure out how to tax it. These elected officials rarely know much about outdoor enthusiasts and how they operate. Hell, they didn’t even know the difference between a “tire” and a “rim” on bikes. They were, and still are clueless about bikes.

If we organize in this situation we stand a chance of making this a smart tax. One we appreciate and applaud. Otherwise, it will be another unenforceable dumb tax that makes users criminals by ignorance.
The decision is ours.

pollywog

Since 07 Aug 2009
289 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Feb 24, 19 12:26 pm     Reply with quote

Note: as of the end of August 2018, $290k had been collected for this bike tax... I’m certain it won’t come remotely close to the 1.2 million they said it would generate annually.
BTW, kids bikes are the number 1 selling bikes in the US. I guess we need to start taxing them young...that way they’re used to it...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: