Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Big Horn Snowkite Summit: A Resounding Success

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
noah

Since 19 Oct 2006
171 Posts
Bozeman, Montana
Stoked

PostThu Dec 13, 18 11:28 am    Big Horn Snowkite Summit: A Resounding Success Reply with quote

The superbly successful 6th Annual Big Horn Snowkite Summit is now in the history books. The enthusiasm and excitement of the many skiers and snowboarders who spent a week in the backcountry of Wyoming’s Big Horn Mountains will persist long into winter. Hosted by the Jackson Hole Kiters and the Wyoming High Country Lodge, this year’s Snowkite Summit week started with a deep base of powder snow and a forecast of daily wind.

The day’s routine of organizing one’s gear, loading into the snowcat-powered transport, arriving at the kite spot and kiting until sunset became a blur of both pleasure and eventual exhaustion as the week progressed. What makes the Summit so special is the camaraderie among the participants.

Whether one was a never-ever snowkiter, a progressing intermediate, or a seasoned veteran of many years of kiting on the snow, all relished in the experience of being in the spectacular Big Horns. For beginners, there were many opportunities to fly trainer kites, learn the basics of flying four line foils, and to absorb the details of safe on-snow kite progression. For the experienced kiters, and there were many returning experts, the Snowkite Summit is a special opportunity to reconnect with like-minded kiters who are passionate about snow, wind and mountains.

Every day the Lodge catered to the needs of our eclectic group of kiters. Superb cuisine was prepared daily. From breakfast at the Lodge, a sack lunch on the snow, and gourmet dinners and desserts every night, it was as if there was a different restaurant serving scrumptious meals every day. One could not go away hungry!

Also, every day the wind was a (mostly) reliable companion. The wind showed many nuances: some days were reliable southwest thermals, some days were post-frontal northerlies, one day was an unanticipated, rock-steady katabatic wind, and a couple days were very light tactical kiting. Whatever the wind’s strength or direction, the Summiteers took full advantage of the breeze and with mostly big kites, skis and snowboards, tracked out miles and miles of delightful powder snow.

Ozone kite demos were available daily: the single-skin Explore in three sizes, the superb handling Chrono V3 Ultralight, a quiver of mainstay Subzeros and the everlasting Access V7 were always available for kiters to fly. Having new kites allowed Summit participants to feel and experience the most highly evolved snow-specific designs and safety systems. There is no substitution for on-snow demos!

For the couple of snowkiters who are also paragliders, a light-wind day provided an outstanding opportunity for hours-long ridge soaring along Bald Mountain’s NE side. A steady stream of kiters looping their Ozone Chronos and Edges among the air-borne gliders made for tactical traffic control on the snow and in the air. Exciting visuals for sure!

True to its billing, the Snowkite Summit brings together an incredibly diverse array of unique individuals who share their passion of kiting in the spectacular Big Horn Mountains. It is truly a one-of-a-kind event that will be remembered by everyone for years to come.

Sunset Session.jpg 
   Will Taggart Carving.jpg 
   Suave in Powder.jpg 
   Suave Carving.jpg 
   Suave 13m Edge.jpg 
   Noah farming powder.jpg 

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostThu Dec 13, 18 12:10 pm    Thanks for the stoke! Reply with quote

Awesome pics Noah; thanks!

flipper

Since 17 Oct 2011
320 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Dec 13, 18 8:44 pm     Reply with quote

Looking forward to see someone triggering an avy, then floating out of it.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Dec 13, 18 9:33 pm     Reply with quote

Fantastic pics. Looks amazing.

However... I've got to question why I didn't know about this event?

Did I miss a post?

I'm happy that you had a fantastic event. BTW Pics are awesome!!!
And personally I was on vacation, so wouldn't have made it anyway... But I feel like This epic event came and went and I wasn't even aware.

Perhaps I missed a post, but I've got to say that personally I would appreciate if this event had a little more visibility on NWKITE prior to the event taking place.

That being said... Thanks for sharing the stoke!!!

Glad to hear you had a great event.

lewmt

Since 04 Aug 2010
182 Posts
MT
Stoked

PostFri Dec 14, 18 5:08 am     Reply with quote

@bigjohn - there was a mention or 2 but this year it filled up fast & early. I was slow getting reservation & wife didn't want to stay in a cabin with 4-5 random others so I missed it too.

@ Flipper - Noah did that last year. I think there's a post on here about it

noah

Since 19 Oct 2006
171 Posts
Bozeman, Montana
Stoked

PostFri Dec 14, 18 10:05 am     Reply with quote

@flipper - Big Horn avy two years ago:
http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-38309.html&highlight=

Still vivid in my mind.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: